Low Monthly Tariff..Help please !

advidadvid Posts: 609
Forum Member
✭✭
...just got a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 from T-Mobile on a very low monthly (60 minutes) call time. This will be OK for me (i hope) for when I'm just out and about and need a call now and then...
How do I set my phone to get maximum out of this..I'm worried that if I switch off constantly on WiFi (used indoors) and go to 3g then spurious packet data will constantly eat into my small allowance and leave me with next to nothing when I'm out and want to make a call...
Can anyone explain this packet switching and tell me how much is likely to be used up (aprox) in a month...
If it's a lot - do I switch it off ??
If so (Galaxy Ace 2 owners) HOW do I do it ???

Comments

• dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi advid, talk time isn't the same as internet packets, if you don't have an internet package then having the internet active could cost you a fortune. If you're using your home wifi then that won't cost you anything, you need to switch off "data", to do this on the home screen open settings, you should then see a long list of different settings, go to data usage and open, then just slide the switch to off, you can leave the wifi switch on or off as this will only connect to a home or open source wifi signal.
    Dave
  • advidadvid Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmp wrote: »
    Hi advid, talk time isn't the same as internet packets, if you don't have an internet package then having the internet active could cost you a fortune. If you're using your home wifi then that won't cost you anything, you need to switch off "data", to do this on the home screen open settings, you should then see a long list of different settings, go to data usage and open, then just slide the switch to off, you can leave the wifi switch on or off as this will only connect to a home or open source wifi signal.
    Dave

...i open 'settings' but NO 'data useage' ...to turn off/on
    Can switch on and off WiFi tho'...
    turning this off goes to 3g... that's what i'm concerened about... how much data will be used in the background on 3gwhen all I want is to use phone for talk...(but possibly still receive/send text messages) ?
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Dave is right.
    Do you have any data allowance?
    People do get confused about 3G as it's marketed as an Internet thing. 3G carries calls and data. Your calls allowance will only get used up when you make a call on 2G or 3G.
    No 3G data will be used during a 3G voice call.
    With 3G switched on it is possible there may be some spurious data traffic from the phone but not much. As long as you haven't set up any email accounts and don't open the browser, dowload music or apps, then there will be virtually no data used.
    If you have a small data allowance then don't worry or take the advice above and uncheck "use packet data" but leave WiFi on.
    here is a simple walkthrough I found.
    http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27763/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzU5Mjg4NTgxL3NpZC9BX2wycWxobA%3D%3D

If the option isn't there then your data may be disabled anyway because you don't have an allowance.

In fact I just noticed you are on T-Mobile. Thier system stops your data useage when you run out of your allowance so if you don't have a data allowance then this is why the option isn't there. If this is the case, then you can't use data anyway. Hope this helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Yeah, Dave is right.
    Do you have any data allowance?
    People do get confused about 3G as it's marketed as an Internet thing. 3G carries calls and data. Your calls allowance will only get used up when you make a call on 2G or 3G.
    No 3G data will be used during a 3G voice call.
    With 3G switched on it is possible there may be some spurious data traffic from the phone but not much. As long as you haven't set up any email accounts and don't open the browser, dowload music or apps, then there will be virtually no data used.
    If you have a small data allowance then don't worry or take the advice above and uncheck "use packet data" but leave WiFi on.
    here is a simple walkthrough I found.
    http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27763/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzU5Mjg4NTgxL3NpZC9BX2wycWxobA%3D%3D

...guys..this is getting totally confusing to me (sorry !) ..
    I'm on 60 minutes talk
    250meg data
    250 texts

What's the best setting when I'm out and about ?
    (I'd like texts and possibly even emails in case of emergencies / urgent messages ect)

..someone is also suggesting - switch to 2g - even more confusing !!!
    Forum Member
    Ok, now I know what you've got it's easy.
    Just leave everything turned on. Simples!

For your calls you will get 60 min included and then start paying the standard rate.

For data you have 250 meg. This will get used up when out and about. For a small amount of browsing and a bit of email you won't use it up in a month so don't worry.

As I said, on T-Mobile you can't go over your data allowance. The system doesn't allow it. if you did get to 250Meg you would be taken to a landing page to buy some more or you just wait till your next billing month when you get another 250meg.

So don't turn anything off otherwise you're paying for 250meg of data you can't use.

If T-Mobile's system works the same as EE4G (what I'm on) you will get a text when you've used 80% of your data and another one just before you run out.

Don't panic. Just enjoy the phone. You will soon see how much data you are going to use after a couple of months then you can up the monthly allowance if you want to.
    Forum Member
    You shoud also download the "My T-Mobile" app fron the Android app store. It's only about 2Meg so won't use much, or get it over WiFi.

Tells you all your usage for calls and data up to the minute.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..thanks for your help guys...I'm still confused !!!
    I downloaded the t-mobile app... ta'
    I'll just give the phone a run for a couple of months and see what the costs are... I just don't want one of these 'super-bills' you hear about due to unknown things running in the background and getting clobbered with an almighty due payment.....
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    advid wrote: »
    I'll just give the phone a run for a couple of months and see what the costs are... I just don't want one of these 'super-bills' you hear about due to unknown things running in the background and getting clobbered with an almighty due payment.....

If you are really worried then you can try an app such as 'Stats Free' that will warn you when you are nearing limits. Newer versions of Android have this built in but i dont know what version your phone will be on.
    Forum Member

I really don't know what's confusing. T-Mobiles's data system won't let you go over your data allowance. If you reach the 250meg before the end of the month then your 3G Internet connection will stop working until the next month.
    How is that confusing?

Perhaps this is a better way of putting it.....

The only way you can run up "one of those huge bills" is by making too many calls over your 60 Mins allowance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I really don't know what's confusing. T-Mobiles's data system won't let you go over your data allowance. If you reach the 250meg before the end of the month then your 3G Internet connection will stop working until the next month.
    How is that confusing?

Perhaps this is a better way of putting it.....

The only way you can run up "one of those huge bills" is by making too many calls over your 60 Mins allowance.

....when you're not used to regularly using a mobile phone and see all these settings choices and adjustments on the phone, not knowing what is the best way to get the best useage out of it then that is why I am a bit concerned. I'm an OAP looking after a wife with Alzheimers 24/7. On the few occasions I can get out I want to be able to keep in touch with her carer in case a problem arises...
    We're not all young wizz kids that use their phones for social networking, sending texts all day long about not a lot or, trying to score a zillion and one on the latest little game....
    Please just try and see it from an older persons point of view....It might seem unCONFUSING to you but one day you'll be older and things will take a little more time to sort and solve...that I am certain of...
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you go over your data allowance on T-Mobile you can continue to browse the net & check emails. But you cannot look at YouTube or any heavy downloads.
    Forum Member
    ....when you're not used to regularly using a mobile phone and see all these settings choices and adjustments on the phone, not knowing what is the best way to get the best useage out of it then that is why I am a bit concerned. I'm an OAP looking after a wife with Alzheimers 24/7. On the few occasions I can get out I want to be able to keep in touch with her carer in case a problem arises...
    We're not all young wizz kids that use their phones for social networking, sending texts all day long about not a lot or, trying to score a zillion and one on the latest little game....
    Please just try and see it from an older persons point of view....It might seem unCONFUSING to you but one day you'll be older and things will take a little more time to sort and solve...that I am certain of...

I do apologise. As a self employed computer engineer I have a lot of older customers I help on a regular basis.
    Lets start again. :)

1. Leave all the data and wifi settings on. This will allow you to use the internet and email at phone at home on WiFi (if you have broadband) and when out and about.

2. You have 60 mins of calls so you will start getting charged for calls once you go over this in any one monthly billing cycle. Check T-Mobile's tariff to see what you'll pay.

3. You have 250Meg of data per month (for Internet, email, downloads etc). This will only get used up when connected to 3G (out and about), not when on WiFi.
    On T-Mobile it is impossible to use too much data. When you reach 250meg, that data will stop. At that point you can either buy some more or wait till your next billing month.

Please ask any more questions if that wasn't clear. I know how hard it is to grasp this stuff when you weren't brought up with it as these "whizz kids" are today. Having said that I wasn't either. I'm 44 but I did take an interest in computers when I was 13 (Sinclair ZX Spectrum).
    Sorry for sounding shirty :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I didn't mean to reply with 'a chip on my shoulder'...I'm not too bad with computers but this is a new venture using a mobile phone - especially one that is a SMART phone with internet access ect. I'm OK with it at home as I'm connected to my WiFi - but it's just a bit worrying as I've not used it outside yet...
    Anyway - your last (and clear) explanation has given me enough info. to use it regularly when I'm out and about....
    Many Thanks to you and all who gave advice..
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    When you go over your data allowance on T-Mobile you can continue to browse the net & check emails. But you cannot look at YouTube or any heavy downloads.

I think this only applies to unlimited data bundles when you go over the fair usage limit. Not sure if it applies to the 250Meg bundle but even if it does advid still wouldn't pay any extra as T-Mobile don't charge for it.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Galaxy Ace 2 is on the Gingerbread OS, you should be able to deactivate the mobile data option (3g etc), by going to Settings> Mobile Networks (which may be under the 'more' options under Data Useage), > Use package data...and then uncheck this box. This will prevent you from getting connected to internet services / background data downloads, when out and about.

But as DevonBloke says, with a 250mb useage limit, you should be more than fine even if you only occasionally surf internet, download emails etc, outside of a WiFi connection.
    Forum Member
    ...I didn't mean to reply with 'a chip on my shoulder'...I'm not too bad with computers but this is a new venture using a mobile phone - especially one that is a SMART phone with internet access ect. I'm OK with it at home as I'm connected to my WiFi - but it's just a bit worrying as I've not used it outside yet...
    Anyway - your last (and clear) explanation has given me enough info. to use it regularly when I'm out and about....
    Many Thanks to you and all who gave advice..

That's ok. Glad to help.
    The basic thing to remember is on T-Mobile it's simply not possible to run up a huge data bill without knowing about it as you actually have to buy more data before you can use it.

You chose the right network that's the main thing. EE4G and Three work the same way. I have 3Gb per month. If I get to 80% I get a text telling me. At 100% my data stops and I get a text with a link to purchase more data. All networks should be like this.
    Good job you didn't go for Orange as their system can't handle data the same way and so you start paying a lot if you go over.
    This may be where you've heard the stories from.
    Forum Member
    Advid, I have just sent you a Private Message.