EastEnders-WTF

dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
Forum Member
Seriously 2013 so far (Yes I know we have only Just started Feb) has been nothing short of Sh*t
Nothing is actually happening and none of the episodes actually feel different. Everything seems to blend in to one.

I have been watching for over 20 years and I have never known some many affairs to be taking place
right now we have

The very boring Ayesha trying to get off with Masood
Whit/Tyler/Joey love triange
Roxy/Alfie/Kat which will know doubt end up with a Kiss between Alfie and Kat while he's with Roxy
Michael and Kat soon to be (Then Janine returns)
We had Kim/Denise/Ray
Max going around in one massive circle. He wants Tanya and not Kirsty but can't seem to keep his hands off her at every given chance:rolleyes:

Take out those storylines and what are we left with? Nothing
There isn't any storyline running at present

I want the EastEnders that would tackle a tricky subject and not be afraid of doing so. I want EastEnders to shock and make people moan about it but at the same time Enjoy it.

EastEnders has a fantastic cast whom do the job they are suppose too but sadly something just doesn't seem to be clicking

While I don't think we are at panic stations just yet
if it carries on this way then EastEnders is going to lose a hell of a lot of viewers and they might find it hard to gain them back.

With Zainab leaving next week I feel the Masood family's
time on Albert Square could soon be up. Mas and Zainab work very well together but without Zee the family is nothing (imo) and it's only a matter of time before Nitin quits.

I think Lorraine Newman needs to listen to the viewers a little bit (not too much as that never seems to work and did EP's in the 80's and 90's look on an internet forum? Well no of course not)

Gritty Drama is what EastEnders does best but sadly we are getting nothing.

Sorry to bore you all (or Surprise you) but I felt this needed to be said.

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You know things are bad when dan2008 is not happy with EastEnders. :eek: ;)

You're normally EE biggest defender. :cool:

... I do agree with your post btw. :)
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    You know things are bad when dan2008 is not happy with EastEnders. :eek: ;)

You're normally EE biggest defender. :cool:

... I do agree with your post btw. :)
    :D
    I can defend it right now at all. The Year started off with that terrible,terrible hour long New Years Day episode but it hasn't improved at all.

A couple of Gems (Like Dot being back and Ian & Denise)
    but that's it.

The only other storyline taking place (outside of the Affairs) is Lola,Lexi,Phil and that's boring plus Lola is annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    :D
    I can defend it right now at all. The Year started off with that terrible,terrible hour long New Years Day episode but it hasn't improved at all.

A couple of Gems (Like Dot being back and Ian & Denise)
    but that's it.

The only other storyline taking place (outside of the Affairs) is Lola,Lexi,Phil and that's boring plus Lola is annoying.

I love Denise and Ian together too. :)

I'll tell you someone else I really love and could watch all day long .... Cora. Such a multi-layered character. But I am biased, as I love everything Ann Mitchell has ever done.
  • R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    Eastenders has been going downhill for years. I really hope it gets better! I think I will always watch it though. I've watched it since I was born and don't see myself stopping, even if the storylines are crap. Really hope that it does get more interesting though.
    Forum Member
    Eastenders has been going downhill for years. I really hope it gets better! I think I will always watch it though. I've watched it since I was born and don't see myself stopping, even if the storylines are crap. Really hope that it does get more interesting though.
    Oh yeah likewise. I never seem myself turning EastEnders off.
    I love Denise and Ian together too. :)

I'll tell you someone else I really love and could watch all day long .... Cora. Such a multi-layered character. But I am biased, as I love everything Ann Mitchell has ever done.
    Yeah I do too. It's great to see Adam and Diane getting some screen time and actually looking happy after all they have been through. I do hope we carry on getting these scenes

I like Cora too :)
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See, this is why I wouldn't mind Kathy's return. There would be real excitement in that, unlike everything that's going on right now and for the foreseeable.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree completely, it's awful at the moment. Seriously, after tonight's had ended I just thought "what the hell have I just watched?!" Instalment #794 of Whitney's crap love life, a Max storyline that's been recycled numerous times through about five years, and Tiffany... singing a Little Mix song? :confused:
    So yeah, it's appalling at the moment. Hope it picks up because last time I remember it being this bad I stopped watching for a few years.

Are there any big storylines coming up?
    Forum Member
    See, this is why I wouldn't mind Kathy's return. There would be real excitement in that, unlike everything that's going on right now and for the foreseeable.
    A Kathy return would be good but how would it work?
    I read somewhere that if Kathy comes back Adam would quit and that's not something I would want.

A Peggy/Grant return would be the best option.
    With Sharon back in the Square it would be like old times again.
    Forum Member
    Agree completely, it's awful at the moment. Seriously, after tonight's had ended I just thought "what the hell have I just watched?!" Instalment #794 of Whitney's crap love life, a Max storyline that's been recycled numerous times through about five years, and Tiffany... singing a Little Mix song? :confused:
    So yeah, it's appalling at the moment. Hope it picks up because last time I remember it being this bad I stopped watching for a few years.

Are there any big storylines coming up?
    No,Not that I know of anyway.

Tanya's exit (July)
    Zainab's exit
    Janine's return

That's about it.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,845
    Forum Member

the same goes for sharon this place twitter etc was buzzing at her return but look at her now...and hardly any threads about sharon/phil when everyone couldnt wait for them lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also quite like the Kat/Bianca pairing. I know it's small pickings at the moment, but they are quite good together.
    Forum Member
    A Kathy return would be good but how would it work?
    I read somewhere that if Kathy comes back Adam would quit and that's not something I would want.

A Peggy/Grant return would be the best option.
    With Sharon back in the Square it would be like old times again.

adam is one of those who wants kathy to come back he said it in his interview :confused:
    Forum Member
    I also quite like the Kat/Bianca pairing. I know it's small pickings at the moment, but they are quite good together.
    I love their friendship but I expect something will happen and they will fall out.

Denise and Zainabs (weird Friendship) is such a joy but sadly that's over next week.
    Forum Member
    adam is one of those who wants kathy to come back he said it in his interview :confused:
    As I said I read it....Not sure where but i'm not saying it's true however if it is then
    I wouldn't want to take the gamble at all.

EDIT-Where is Adams Interview?
    Forum Member
    As I said I read it....Not sure where but i'm not saying it's true however if it is then
    I wouldn't want to take the gamble at all.

EDIT-Where is Adams Interview?

the one he did for ntas on here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love their friendship but I expect something will happen and they will fall out.

Denise and Zainabs (weird Friendship) is such a joy but sadly that's over next week.

Yep, I have a feeling you're right. I think they'll have a massive bust up sooner rather than later (which is a shame and I hope I am wrong)
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any bets we might be getting a new EP before the year is out if this bad run of luck isn't sorted, I think if the papers pick it up and they don't win as many awards as before well it could be the start.
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Any bets we might be getting a new EP before the year is out if this bad run of luck isn't sorted, I think if the papers pick it up and they don't win as many awards as before well it could be the start.

Hey can you see twitter dm surprised nobodys noticed it
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,173
    Forum Member
    I would hate a Kathy return. I genuinely believe that killing Kathy (as well as Cindy) off screen was about the biggest mistake made by any EE producer in nearly 28 years but the fact is that it happened and you can't rewrite history to that extent. Bringing Cindy back could just, just be credible as she could have got into big trouble in prison leading to a faked death and she was hard enough to abandon her children but Kathy - no way. Especially as her body was identified I seem to recall. Den's resurrection was bad enough and they had deliberately left that unclear.

Aside from the shark jumpingness of it, they don't seem to be able to write for returning characters anyway and demean the memory of the original stint so I'd rather they just leave it and concentrate on developing the existing characters and introducing new ones.

I've not seen either interview with Adam bit can see credibility in both. He and Gill taylforth were very close so he'd probably personally like her back but he's an intelligent, astute man and probably realises it would be a mistake for the ehat is left of the credibility of the show.

I do agree it is fairly dire now and has been since very soon after the 25th anniversary nearly 3 uears ago. They seem to do nothing for months relying on big 'events' like the Vic fire and Peggy's leaving, then Kat and alfie's return and their huge 2 year story arc (which of course had to be abandoned), stacey leaving, whit's abuse, Shagdunnit, Sharon's return, Max's secret etc and none of them live up to the hype or expectations or hopes. The new families haven't worked like the new Moons of 11 so they just extend the Brannings as Max, tanya, lauren, Bradley and Abi were, along with the Masoods in 06/07 the last sucessful influx.

I've watched since day 1 and there have been down spells (89 was pretty bad, as was 04/05) but this is the longest dry spell in my opinion. If it wasn't on at such a convenient time (when I'm cooking dinner so can follow with one eye during the 2 hours I actually have for 'entertainment' each evening between work, sleep, cleaning, looking after family etc), I would have given up a long time ago. And several times I've had to fight the impulse to put on a dvd or cd or even Hollyoaks on +1 because it is so dull. I certainly don't bother to record it or watch the omnibus if I'm out now and that would have been unheard of older times!
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think generally it is better than a year ago but it needs a big storyline thats gonna get people watching and also a few new characters to give it some energy
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I think generally it is better than a year ago but it needs a big storyline thats gonna get people watching and also a few new characters to give it some energy

No way this time last yr it was brilliant with pats death davids return b&b fire the mitchells etc
    Forum Member
    I'd say the very beginning of the year was better with David's brief return (which I think worked because ot was only for 3 weeks and had a specific plot) and the run up to phil's arrest but February and most of march were fairly dire - I just remember a lot of Whitney faffing between FatBoy and Tyler and ... Not a lot else really until Heather's death. Oh didn't Kay shag him off the Bill in the alley and give the dirty girl speech around that time?
    Forum Member
    The B+! Fire was the end of 2011 and virtually ignored in the New Year, indeed the Masoods hardly appeared in the first 3 months and nothing really was made of Tam's burns and the knock on psychological effects of Yusef on the family, particuarly Tam, Afia and Zainab. It's as if it never happened. I think that is one of the worst things they've done (I'm sorry if it was a Branning or Phil it would have dominated for several months) and wouldn't be surprised if it made nina Wadia decide to leave as apparently that happened this time last year.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    The B+! Fire was the end of 2011 and virtually ignored in the New Year, indeed the Masoods hardly appeared in the first 3 months and nothing really was made of Tam's burns and the knock on psychological effects of Yusef on the family, particuarly Tam, Afia and Zainab. It's as if it never happened. I think that is one of the worst things they've done (I'm sorry if it was a Branning or Phil it would have dominated for several months) and wouldn't be surprised if it made nina Wadia decide to leave as apparently that happened this time last year.

I agree with this & what you have said Dan, the show is well boring at the most or makes me angry with the treatment at the Masoods, I cannot believe
    Ayesha says to Zainab she knows Masood between than her N.W, well tbh that's the least realistic thing to worry about in this plot
    It's disappointing. I want my EE back, the show I couldn't get enough of, excitement for the next episode, one of the few characters I care about is leaving and it's a crap exit for her. :mad::(:cry:
    Forum Member
    I do agree it is an appalling exit for Zainab. No build up, being side lined for other characters who are just going round in circles to lead in to yet another temporary exit for one of the favoured few.

2011 wasn't a great year by any means but the one saving grace was the Masoods even though it was inconsistently written and you were never quiyte sure of Yusef's motivations from one week to the next. However, Ace Bhatti, Nina and Nitin are great actors and at least it was different to the normal Mitchell/Branning affairs, car lot, business grief. It was a great story and had so much aftermath potential, how would Zee cope with her son being scarred the same way she was and partly due to her. How would Afia grieve for a man that loved and was a good father to her despite how his life ended? How would tam, insecure in his looks and self worth anyway cope? They ignored it all - a great, great shame as the one thing EE had finally got right was an Ethnic family that was interesting and not just a token booking which I'm sorry, the Taverniers, Ferriars and several others always felt.