Blackberry Z30 out next week

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Blackberry Z30 will be out next week in the UK. It has a sizeable 5" display with 4G LTE support.

http://t.crackberry.com/blackberry-z30-specifications

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/26580/BlackBerry_Z30_coming_to_UK_from_next_week.aspx

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably last phone Blackberry will make this is what the Z10 should of been.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Probably last phone Blackberry will make this is what the Z10 should of been.

Looks decent but what a Terrible time to release it, right in the thick of a new iPhone release.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Not many people know this but "Z30" in Latin actually means "Blackberrys last phone before they go under".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Not many people know this but "Z30" in Latin actually means "Blackberrys last phone before they go under".

Yeah... right....

'And the band played believe it if you like'

How about, BlackBerry's latest beautiful slab of 5" goodness zipping along (wow - no lag!) with baked in features most smartphones would die for?

The Z10 is amazing. If you haven't experienced BB10 you have no idea how good it is. I haven't owned a Q10 (the keyboard version) but a couple of my colleagues do and they love them.

This thing will be fantastic. 22 hours of battery life anyone?
    Forum Member
    Yeah... right....

'And the band played believe it if you like'

How about, BlackBerry's latest beautiful slab of 5" goodness zipping along (wow - no lag!) with baked in features most smartphones would die for?

The Z10 is amazing. If you haven't experienced BB10 you have no idea how good it is. I haven't owned a Q10 (the keyboard version) but a couple of my colleagues do and they love them.

This thing will be fantastic. 22 hours of battery life anyone?

I thought Blackberry fanboys died out with Symbian fanboys years ago?
    Forum Member
    I thought Blackberry fanboys died out with Symbian fanboys years ago?

No baby! We just went underground....:)
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    Looks decent but what a Terrible time to release it, right in the thick of a new iPhone release.

Yep - and that's going well...

http://http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1891879
    Forum Member
    No baby! We just went underground....:)

Ah.... crackberry forums ;)
    Forum Member
    Ah.... crackberry forums ;)

Morning!

Well, someone had to branch out and share the goodness!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I'm not a BB hater, far from it. I'm happy to have choice in the mobile world. I actually do own a playbook and at one point considered a Z10. But experiences with playbook never really being properly updated and being very buggy (as much as I still used it daily regardless cos I loved the gesture based controls and multitasking) Kind of put me off getting a BB phone so I opted for a HTC One.

The Z30 looks very good and bigger battery life is always a plus. But the worry now is, that if BB happen to collapse (they have just shed 40% of their workforce) Downsizing like this usually means a sale is not too far off. If sold, what will become of support for this phone? Will it not just get abandoned? When Palm were taken over, they released the palm Pre 3, they shouldn't have really bothered as HP dissolved it and was dead on arrival if my memory serves me correctly.

So the Z30, in my opinion is a risky purchase. I do like BB, but like is not enough to take the plunge and buy a handset that may just die a cold death with all the stuff going on at BB at the moment. It's sad but true. Would love BB to sell a shed load of these phones, but I do think now, they have left it a little late.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too little too late for Blackberry I'm afraid. I expect their hardware division will pretty much die after this, though I can see them living on as a software company, especially with the launch of BBM on other platforms. It's completely the wrong time to release a crucial device, in the middle of an iPhone launch and with the next Nexus around the corner.

I don't know why anyone would choose this over an equivalently sized Android device, save for the last few faithful followers, rather like the violin players who went down with the Titanic. BB10 is ok, but it's just not good enough to compete against Android and iOS. If Windows Phone is struggling, then BB10 has no chance. Especially when over half the apps in their app store have been published by just one developer. :o

The ecosystem is barren and can't compete against the services Android and iOS can provide. Sorry but this is heading for disaster, rather like the Palm Pre and Pixi.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where Blackberry are now is where they should have been 2 years ago to stay ahead of the curve. Sadly plenty of phone companies who were in the top of their game have sat on their laurels. NEC, Motorola, Nokia and Ericsson.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where Blackberry are now is where they should have been 2 years ago to stay ahead of the curve. Sadly plenty of phone companies who were in the top of their game have sat on their laurels. NEC, Motorola, Nokia and Ericsson.

Ericsson didn't see on there Laurels they just sold there half of the business to Sony so now it is Sony and not Sony Ericsson. But agree with you this device is what the Z10 should of been to be a competitor properly with the S4/Z/One.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Ericsson didn't see on there Laurels they just sold there half of the business to Sony so now it is Sony and not Sony Ericsson. But agree with you this device is what the Z10 should of been to be a competitor properly with the S4/Z/One.

Smart move by Ericsson then :D
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't describe the ennui I feel at this announcement.
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Too little too late for Blackberry I'm afraid. I expect their hardware division will pretty much die after this, though I can see them living on as a software company, especially with the launch of BBM on other platforms. It's completely the wrong time to release a crucial device, in the middle of an iPhone launch and with the next Nexus around the corner.

I don't know why anyone would choose this over an equivalently sized Android device, save for the last few faithful followers, rather like the violin players who went down with the Titanic. BB10 is ok, but it's just not good enough to compete against Android and iOS. If Windows Phone is struggling, then BB10 has no chance. Especially when over half the apps in their app store have been published by just one developer. :o

The ecosystem is barren and can't compete against the services Android and iOS can provide. Sorry but this is heading for disaster, rather like the Palm Pre and Pixi.

Oh dear. I think you may have missed it. Still, no surprise given the complete lack of BlackBerry marketing!

BB10 is AMAZING. I take it you've never owned one?
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    I can't describe the ennui I feel at this announcement.

Well, that would be difficult due to your ennui...

Don't worry! We have enough UI for everyone! It's new, you know...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. I think you may have missed it. Still, no surprise given the complete lack of BlackBerry marketing!

I've seen enough of it to form my own opinion. BB10 is far from amazing, particularly on the app front where everything is a mess.

If the device is what you are after then great, I'm sure Blackberry will be happy that at least someone is interested, but for me, I just don't see anything of value in the operating system or their products. Certainly not enough to pull me away from Android and my Nexus devices. :)
    Forum Member

Blackberry 10 is quite a nice OS i admit. Very smooth and easy to set up. (Not a fan of the swipe menus. Would much prefer physical buttons)

But it's a little too late for blackberry. And when there prices are higher than the iPhone it just doesn't make any sense at all for the majority of people to buy one. It has it's uses for business users but even android and iPhone can now match or even beat blackberry at certain things.
    Forum Member

slick1two wrote: »
    Oh I'm not a BB hater, far from it. I'm happy to have choice in the mobile world. I actually do own a playbook and at one point considered a Z10. But experiences with playbook never really being properly updated and being very buggy (as much as I still used it daily regardless cos I loved the gesture based controls and multitasking) Kind of put me off getting a BB phone so I opted for a HTC One.

The Z30 looks very good and bigger battery life is always a plus. But the worry now is, that if BB happen to collapse (they have just shed 40% of their workforce) Downsizing like this usually means a sale is not too far off. If sold, what will become of support for this phone? Will it not just get abandoned? When Palm were taken over, they released the palm Pre 3, they shouldn't have really bothered as HP dissolved it and was dead on arrival if my memory serves me correctly.

So the Z30, in my opinion is a risky purchase. I do like BB, but like is not enough to take the plunge and buy a handset that may just die a cold death with all the stuff going on at BB at the moment. It's sad but true. Would love BB to sell a shed load of these phones, but I do think now, they have left it a little late.

No, to be fair I saw you really struggling with yourself over whether to get a Z10 in February. I think you were very fair around that time and stuck up for BB well in the face of a couple of 'rather exuberant' anti's spreading FUD which, I'm afraid, as far as BlackBerry is concerned is something of a sport.

Well, here's the thing. I got the Z10 at launch. It is simply the BEST mobile phone I have ever owned. It's an incredible piece of engineering.

Understandably, due to BlackBerry's poor image many people have asked me 'oh, is the the new BLACKBERRY?' as if it's some form of disease and I've become quite used to:

a) Demo'ing the thing in 2 minutes flat
    b) Watching their faces fall
    c) The tell tale look back at their phone as if to say 'why doesn't mine do that?' That happens a lot.

No lag - at all. Anywhere. Everything just zips along from app to app and page to page.

No Home button needed. This is the future...

A touchscreen keyboard to die for that learns what you say and where you put your fingers on the damn screen

Active frames and when you close an app - it's closed.

Remote File Access as standard - pull up your PC files on your phone. Anywhere.

Time Shift Camera - take a photo, detect faces, move them in time to get the best result.

The Hub - dear Lord, the Hub! I didn't even know how good it was until a friend asked me to do something on their phone as they had their hands full at the time. Go into this, come out of that, is it shut down, no one really knows....!

OS Updates - I've had 5 so far and another is due mid-October which brings even more goodness.

Oh, and apps? Yep, BB10 is still slightly behind (only silghtly now) but catching fast.

And if the Z30 is so risky (and it's a gorgeous piece of kit) then why are carriers even bothering??

So much disinformation around BlackBerry it's untrue but I can't blame anyone but BlackBerry for it. $3 billion cash in the bank and probably the worlds most advanced OS and they still make a complete mess of telling anyone about it.

Oh, and that's why #ichooseblackberry10
    Forum Member
    I've seen enough of it to form my own opinion. BB10 is far from amazing, particularly on the app front where everything is a mess.

If the device is what you are after then great, I'm sure Blackberry will be happy that at least someone is interested, but for me, I just don't see anything of value in the operating system or their products. Certainly not enough to pull me away from Android and my Nexus devices. :)

So, er, you haven't owned one then.
    Forum Member
    Blackberry 10 is quite a nice OS i admit. Very smooth and easy to set up. (Not a fan of the swipe menus. Would much prefer physical buttons)

But it's a little too late for blackberry. And when there prices are higher than the iPhone it just doesn't make any sense at all for the majority of people to buy one. It has it's uses for business users but even android and iPhone can now match or even beat blackberry at certain things.

The swipe is difficult at first because it's such a departure from the norm but it becomes ridiculously addictive really quickly and it happens without you knowing it, weirdly.

Just as I've had an iPhone user stab at my phone getting annoyed as the button isn't there I've found myself getting frustrated by the fact that I can't swipe up on their phone to shut an app or swipe up and to the right to get their messages!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, er, you haven't owned one then.

I have a desire to use apps on my device, so no, I haven't. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well recently I seen more apps appearing on my playbook the past few months but it doesn't have bb10. The z10 has many more bb10 apps to be honest. Of course there wouldn't be a massive number of apps yet, it was the same on android when it was a new OS. I had a htc hero which didn't have nowhere near the number of apps the iPhone had. It had plenty of scrappy ones in the early days, but developers got onboard as the platform grew so did the number and quality of the apps.

So I don't really buy or not buy based on app numbers, rather look at core function, usability, I know bb10 come with a lot of good baked in features as many phones do now and with flash still around and html 5 there is so much you can get from a good browser. Not everyone needs a million apps or a hundred rips off versions of angry birds etc.

The app argument is just a cheap way to put down a platform, because if a platform is given a chance to grow, then developers will come oboard. However a combination of bad press and many errors by blackberry. Themselves who haven't helped their cause over the years has and serious lack of marketing, have meant devs have just not been attracted to bb10. It really is a shame. They do have a good os on their hands and some decent new hardware but competition is so fierce now, there is no margin for error. BlackBerry have just made too many over the years. Could have been so different since BB had a head start on the smartphone market.
    Forum Member

To be honest... that says it all about BlackBerrys lack of marketing.

There are tons of apps on BB10. My phone isn't far off full.

I would respectfully suggest you grab a BB10 device and take a look at what is there now (as opposed to February) before dismissing the platform in future as BlackBerry World is growing at a ridiculous pace so it is probably very much changed since you last looked.

In terms of games they are landing at a rate of knots like you wouldn't believe and BB10 is more than equipped to deal with them - no lag, no stutter, smooth as you like.

Yes, there are a few 'hold out' big name apps (the one which erks BB10 users the most at the minute is Instagram) which would be a deal breaker for some but they are becoming less and less. Other than that it's all systems go...