Options

Help Choosing New Graphics Card

Hello,

We are looking to upgrade our graphics card as the current one is having some issues and the fan is very noisy.

We have a small budget of £30 max and need to be able to get it tomorrow so needs to be from PC world or similar.

we are running a intel core 2 duo E7300 2.66ghz 2.66 ghz

3gb ram

Its a medion pc about 5 years old

I belive the current graphocs card is a nvidia 9600

I was wondering which of these would be best if any;

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E Graphics Card - 1 GB
ASUS AMD Radeon HD 5450 PCI-E Graphics Card - 1 GB
SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon 5450 PCI-E Graphics Card - 1 GB
ASUS AMD Radeon HD 6450 PCI-E Graphics Card - 1 GB
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT610 PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Card - 1 GB

I do not know much about these cards so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you need it to do?
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wont get much better than your 9600 for £30 what about pushing a little more for a HD 6670?
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an extremely useful list of graphics cards in descending order of processing power:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32654-7.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    This is an extremely useful list of graphics cards in descending order of processing power:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32654-7.html

Very useful thanks tomshardware is good but could never find one as simple as that :)
  • Options
    dooglemiredooglemire Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replys

mainly for internet but some gta4 and older games like command and conquer genreals

I was mistaken my card is a geforce 9500 GS
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure where you can go other than PC World to get a card on the spot tomorrow.

The HD 6670 is about as low as I would want to go if I was to do any sort of gaming. Anything lower is really only designed for desktop use.

But PC World as usual have silly prices unless you find something on offer.

£65 is the cheapest HD 6670 at PC World.

Someone has already linked you the same card but with more memory (negligible for a card this powerful) at under £50.

If it were me I'd order one and wait a couple of days (but then I'm tight). Then again I live near CCL so I could pick one up.

If you absolutely cannot stretch further than £30 then out of those cards you listed my personal preference would be the gt610 but it is just the competitor to HD 6450, Nvidia vs Radeon. There will not be much in it in real world use. Might see the difference if you benchmark.

But £20 more buys you an aweful more bang for you buck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dooglemire wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys

mainly for internet but some gta4 and older games like command and conquer genreals

I was mistaken my card is a geforce 9500 GS

GTA 4 is a really bad port so bad that some high end cards struggle with it, but you could get away with lowering the settings, but yeh like the above post the 6670 is the lowest card to have fun gaming on and games can look very nice actually.

All is fine as browsing the net does not use much at all so you're not far away.