Humax HDR-1000S Firmware Update 1.00.16 - Now Available

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You clearly are happy to put up with daily finding new bugs and stupid omissions on a premium brand box, others are not.

As long as mine continues to record the 25 odd series recordings I have set reliably why wouldn't I be happy ? :eek:

I actually had first failed recording yesterday in a long time. Countryfile failed to record but as it was down to the Tennis I don't think that counts :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    As long as mine continues to record the 25 odd series recordings I have set reliably why wouldn't I be happy ?...
    Buy a Mercedes, the radio doesn't work, the electric windows go down but not up and the boot lid rattles, but what the hell, it gets me from A to B.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a Mercedes, the radio doesn't work, the electric windows go down but not up and the boot lid rattles, but what the hell, it gets me from A to B.

Or perhaps a nice new Boeing Dreamliner.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I still don't get it. This is not a no name branded PVR - it is a huge High Street brand, and international brand, yet this product appears to have been delivered to the end user far short of what could reasonably be expected of a PVR at this price point. Despite this a number of you appear to shrug your shoulders and seem to think that this is fine, somehow par for the course. I'm sorry but I'm used to buying tech from the likes of Panasonic Sony Apple etc. and I've never taken delivery of products in this apparently unfinished state. I'm certainly not prepared to lower my expectations for a PVR just shy of £300.
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    I still don't get it. This is not a no name branded PVR - it is a huge High Street brand, and international brand, yet this product appears to have been delivered to the end user far short of what could reasonably be expected of a PVR at this price point. Despite this a number of you appear to shrug your shoulders and seem to think that this is fine, somehow par for the course. I'm sorry but I'm used to buying tech from the likes of Panasonic Sony Apple etc. and I've never taken delivery of products in this apparently unfinished state. I'm certainly not prepared to lower my expectations for a PVR just shy of £300.
    +1 from me.
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    Or perhaps a nice new Boeing Dreamliner.
    That's at least grounded in contrast to this poor attempt at quality technology.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »

As far as I'm aware, the much lauded Humax Foxsat DVR was awash with many bugs and poor functionality when it was released and gradually had them patched and fixed as time rolled on.

I bought it about a year or so before the new one came out and I'm very happy with it, but I wouldn't buy a 1000s for at least another year or so.

It seems to be Humax's methodology: release an unfinished, poorly tested product that can be described as an alpha release at worst, and a beta release at best and use its customers as unpaid (or actually - paying!) testers.

It's shoddy, really.

A PVR that misses recordings? That's core functionality. They should be deeply embarrassed.

Perhaps they need a Steve Jobs figure in their business to tell them that they should be ashamed of themselves and make them cry, then maybe this poor excuse for quality testing would stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    A PVR that misses recordings? That's core functionality. They should be deeply embarrassed.

I will say this again only once, :D, under specific and repeatable circumstances the box will fail to record when using 1.0.16 firmware. Once these were identified (no thanks due to the whingers on here :eek: ), two perfectly workable alternatives were found until a fix was found (one of which was down to a suggestion by Repassac). That fix is now freely available (1.06.22) and after applying it despite some 80 or so recordings not yet found any significant problem. Even previous to the fix using one of the workarounds I only lost recordings deliberately as part of trying to be 100% sure of the failure mechanisms involved..

Do you have the box are you simply dishing up the postings of others. Do they have the software fix installed, have they actually tested it to see if the problem is resolved ? I doubt it. :eek:

Going to stop wasting time and effort and simply continue to watch my recordings.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I will say this again only once, :D, under specific and repeatable circumstances the box will fail to record when using 1.0.16 firmware. Once these were identified (no thanks due to the whingers on here :eek: ), two perfectly workable alternatives were found until a fix was found (one of which was down to a suggestion by Repassac). That fix is now freely available (1.06.22) and after applying it despite some 80 or so recordings not yet found any significant problem. Even previous to the fix using one of the workarounds I only lost recordings deliberately as part of trying to be 100% sure of the failure mechanisms involved..

Do you have the box are you simply dishing up the postings of others. Do they have the software fix installed, have they actually tested it to see if the problem is resolved ? I doubt it. :eek:

Going to stop wasting time and effort and simply continue to watch my recordings.

Graham, I bought a 1000s for a relative and was going to purchase two for our household to replace Sky, which we rarely watch anymore. I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend Humax or the guys at Freesat. If a product doesn't come up to muster then this should be recognised, brought to the attention of those responsible and a fix should be forthcoming, and in short order. I don't want to pay £600 for two boxes then start applying fixes to make them usable. I want a set and forget solution and so should you.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once these were identified (no thanks due to the whingers on here :eek: ), two perfectly workable alternatives were found until a fix was found (one of which was down to a suggestion by Repassac). That fix is now freely available (1.06.22) and after applying it despite some 80 or so recordings not yet found any significant problem.

Even taken at face value this is a bizarre defense of a premium price consumer product, as others have said. But taking it at face value is ridiculous. Readers of this and similar forums are a tiny minority. This product is being sold as a simple-to-use, homely device that even your granny will be happy with. Most purchasers have never seen these discussions let alone know of beta fixes or how to get and use them. They have every right to assume that Humax would not release a product until it is sufficiently reliable for its mainstream customers to use.

Before you repeat it yet again, your frequent justification that all previous Humax products were just as bad and all PVR manufacturers offer software upgrades at some point simply moves your argument even further from the real world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humax products undergo weeks of intensive testing by the Software Quality Engineering team, that team poke and prod almost every aspect of the product (independently of the development team). Until the SQE team are happy with the product it cannot be released. In the case of the original Foxsat-HD zapper it was very much rushed because a line was drawn in the sand (outside of the control of Humax) and they had to be out before they were ready, however engineers worked day and night to resolve the issues and a succession of patches were delivered to resolve things that were missed.

For the HDR-1000S a great deal more attention was given, however because of the level of innovation involved and the complexity of the product sometimes things slip thought the net, especially because there are only so many circumstances you can test against when under commercial constraints. It may not seem like it to the average consumer but in comparison to other products the HDR-1000S is probably the most innovative product on the market, it stretches STB technology further than has yet been done by anyone and as such there are some lessons that need to be learnt.

It is also worth noting that Humax is a relatively small company compared to their competitors, I believe Humax are less than 25% of the size of Pace, 200x smaller than Samsung Electronics, and 0.015% of Panasonic. There are about 20 people in the UK working for Humax (excluding call centres).

Finally, a large volume of these products have been sold, the negative feedback received has been small, but Humax take everything seriously and engineers are working hard on the next evolutions of software which will be arriving as soon as possible. Announcements will be made as soon as any software is finalised and has passed testing at both Freesat and Humax SQE. The team don't like to announce anything before it is fully tested because it creates undue anticipation and enquiries for dates which cannot be committed to. If a product failed testing then it that would only create more tension as dates were moved.
  • paul1962paul1962 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Bob_cat, while we appreciate the complexity of the product the testing is definitely falling short.
    The missed first recording of the day is so simple I can't begin to understand why it wasn't found at the test stage.
    As well as internal testing Humax/Freesat really need to start using beta testers out in the field like other manufacturers do. If they do this already they need to find better beta testers.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @Bob_Cat

I still think Humax could do better but thanks for a much more constructive discussion of the issues than the regular blind faith denials.
  • daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob_Cat wrote: »
    Humax products undergo weeks of intensive testing by the Software Quality Engineering team, that team poke and prod almost every aspect of the product (independently of the development team). Until the SQE team are happy with the product it cannot be released. In the case of the original Foxsat-HD zapper it was very much rushed because a line was drawn in the sand (outside of the control of Humax) and they had to be out before they were ready, however engineers worked day and night to resolve the issues and a succession of patches were delivered to resolve things that were missed.

For the HDR-1000S a great deal more attention was given, however because of the level of innovation involved and the complexity of the product sometimes things slip thought the net, especially because there are only so many circumstances you can test against when under commercial constraints. It may not seem like it to the average consumer but in comparison to other products the HDR-1000S is probably the most innovative product on the market, it stretches STB technology further than has yet been done by anyone and as such there are some lessons that need to be learnt.

It is also worth noting that Humax is a relatively small company compared to their competitors, I believe Humax are less than 25% of the size of Pace, 200x smaller than Samsung Electronics, and 0.015% of Panasonic. There are about 20 people in the UK working for Humax (excluding call centres).

Finally, a large volume of these products have been sold, the negative feedback received has been small, but Humax take everything seriously and engineers are working hard on the next evolutions of software which will be arriving as soon as possible. Announcements will be made as soon as any software is finalised and has passed testing at both Freesat and Humax SQE. The team don't like to announce anything before it is fully tested because it creates undue anticipation and enquiries for dates which cannot be committed to. If a product failed testing then it that would only create more tension as dates were moved.

it was very much rushed because a line was drawn in the sand (outside of the control of Humax)
    and they had to be out before they were ready

Why?

especially because there are only so many
    circumstances you can test against when under commercial constraints.

So the customer suffers , but thats ok.

It is also worth noting that Humax is a relatively small company compared to their competitors

So if your product is sold with faults , thats ok?.

Sorry bob_Cat, but i find your explanation poor for someone high up at humax.

I dont own this product ( I have 9300t & foxsat hdr which both work impeccably),was going to but this thread seems to be like the samsung SMT - S7800 thread.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    howarp wrote: »
    I have both the Humax HDR (G1 EPG) freesat unit & the Humax 1000s (G2 EPG) 1tb unit.

1. On the Humax 1000s when I choose a program to record from say ITV or Ch4 it does not give me the option to record in HD - I have to go to say ITVHD or CH4HD and record. The option to record in HD on BBC1 & 2 works fine.

My 1TB box arrived today and just tried this and I do get the option to record from HD on itv.
    In the guide it does actually give an indication with the icons just above the grey banner as to which programmes will give you the option of which to record. Those programme that do you'll see an SD>HD icon.
    Channel 4 however seem to not do this.
    Forum Member
    daver34 wrote: »
    it was very much rushed because a line was drawn in the sand (outside of the control of Humax)
    and they had to be out before they were ready Why?
    I've stated in a number of posts in this and other forums that the 1000S was designed by committee (Humax/Freesat) with no single overseeing responsibility, and that each would blame the other. What Bob appears to be doing is inferring that Freesat pushed Humax to get the product out before it was ready.
  • IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    My 1TB box arrived today and just tried this and I do get the option to record from HD on itv.

My Foxsat HDR gives me the HD symbol (record in HD) for every program on 103 in the next 24 hours, except of course the regional news at 6:00.

Can you get the same result with your 1000s ?
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've stated in a number of posts in this and other forums that the 1000S was designed by committee (Humax/Freesat) with no single overseeing responsibility, and that each would blame the other. What Bob appears to be doing is inferring that Freesat pushed Humax to get the product out before it was ready.

I think you read more into bob-cats post that he ment.
    Forum Member
    IQ1 wrote: »
    My Foxsat HDR gives me the HD symbol (record in HD) for every program on 103 in the next 24 hours, except of course the regional news at 6:00.

Can you get the same result with your 1000s ?

Yes from what I can see.
    It's only Channel 4 that that only shows SD as an option so have to make rocording selections via 4HD.
  • IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Yes from what I can see.
    It's only Channel 4 that that only shows SD as an option so have to make rocording selections via 4HD.

That's odd as my 1000s doesn't give me the HD option for a few programmes the News at 11:25/ 13:30 and the late night Jackpot/ Jeremy Kyle/ This Morning.......

<Freetime> don't believe in giving HD record options for upscaled at source SD programmes.*ITV HD would obviously give the better PQ but they would prefer us to record the SD channel.
    Forum Member
    IQ1 wrote: »
    That's odd as my 1000s doesn't give me the HD option for a few programmes the News at 11:25/ 13:30 and the late night Jackpot/ Jeremy Kyle/ This Morning.......

<Freetime> don't believe in giving HD record options for upscaled at source SD programmes.*ITV HD would obviously give the better PQ but they would prefer us to record the SD channel.

Oh yeah just had a look and those particular programmes are the same.
    Forum Member
    Been catching up with a few things on demand tonight and have noticed a couple of things so apologies if they've already been discussed.
    BBCiPlayer HD & SD quality doesn't seem to be as good quality as my Sony Blu Ray player which is 2 years older. I have however just noticed a video quality setting within iPlayer itself so I will see how that looks tomorrow.
    And whoever decided we need to have most of the screen taken up with black top and bottom for around 8-10 seconds while the program's already started playing needs shooting.
    ITVPlayer, well quality is pretty rubbish on any device so no complaints on that at the moment.
    The only 2 issues with ITVPlayer I do have is that when going back through EPG certain programmes are missing ie: Corrie on Monday 28th has the 1st episode, but not the 2nd.
    All episodes are however present if you goto ITVPlayer directly and search for Corrie.
    The 2nd issue was that the 1st episode of Corrie had about 30 seconds missing from the end and just stopped dead which I've checked on iPhone app and the episode is in full with end credits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a known bug with accessing iplayer HD content via the epg, even though you ask for HD you only get SD. If you use the red button it works in HD.
    Forum Member
    There is a known bug with accessing iplayer HD content via the epg, even though you ask for HD you only get SD. If you use the red button it works in HD.

I had a play around and managed to work out how to see HD content, but like I said before the PQ is not as good as what I get my 2 year older Blu Ray players iPlayer.
    On the whole I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far with the box(apart from the clicky remote), but it just seems a shame that you've got a nice smart looking EPG and Menus and then you've got a not very nice looking UI with BBCiplayer and ITVPlayer.
    I know its wishfull thinking, but hopefully they will be both be given a complete overhaul at some stage.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    I noticed on the Humax website beta.humaxonline.co.uk that there is a new software out for the Freesat Freetime Humax boxes the Humax HD100s, I have saved it onto my USB Stick,
    but how can I update the software to the latest version using my USB Stick as there is not an option in the settings to do it? The date the new software came out is 28 January 2013 a few days ago now