Gazza: Buying and drinking a bottle of gin in a newsagents

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The shopkeeper should not have sold the gin to a well known alcoholic and drug offender.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely when he looks in the mirror he knows something is wrong, his face is bloated like Micky Rourke's was after surgery
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadly, yes.

I feel sorry for the people around him who put their faith (and money) in him with respect to that rehab trip earlier this year. He's let them down big time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I don't think the shopkeeper would be licensed to allow consumption of alcohol on the premises.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for both him and the people who have to put up with him. Nobody's a winner in that scenario :(
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I agree, the shopkeeper was in the wrong. But what the hell is going through Gazza's mind???

And what do his friends think, who spent all that money on his recent rehab stay.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I agree, the shopkeeper was in the wrong. But what the hell is going through Gazza's mind???

And what do his friends think, who spent all that money on his recent rehab stay.

I'm sure they've done everything they can but they can't save Gazza from himself.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gives me no pleasure to see this... but the inescapable fact is, the man is going to die. He's beyond help.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    It gives me no pleasure to see this... but the inescapable fact is, the man is going to die. He's beyond help.

This sadly.

Genius on the pitch, complete f**k up off of it
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His addiction has properly beaten him now, there's no going back. I feel for him and those who love him. :(
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His next drink. That's all he cares about and it will be the death of him. I get no pleasure in saying that but IMHO he is beyond help. I knew from his Alan Carr interview when he said he couldn't 'rule out' drinking again that it was the beginning of the end.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alcoholism once it reaches that stage is a horrible thing to witness.
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought that. When the inevitable happens I doubt anyone will be in the least surprised :(
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for both him and the people who have to put up with him. Nobody's a winner in that scenario :(

I agree. For some people, their so addicted to alcohol that they have to keep drinking it or the physical repercussions can be really bad, like they cant stop entirely or it affects their body, so I hear? thats when its got really bad but I dont know his personal circumstances.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should imagine that if he was locked in a room and not allowed alcohol that this plan of action would not work as he would need to wean himself off of it.

It's ok his pals giving him money for rehab but he needs support on a personal level, where's his mate that one who allegedly got him drinking excessively in the first place, nine bellies or something, why doesn't he help?

Of course they will all be there crying at his funeral :rolleyes:
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All these celebrities paid for him to go to rehab and yet this is what he does. He's a selfish prat who doesn't deserve people forking out money to help him. He even admitted that he couldn't say that he'd stay away from the drink. I sometimes wonder if he actually wants to be free of it.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the inescapable fact is, the man is going to die.

Well, yes, you can't argue with that...
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Alcoholism once it reaches that stage is a horrible thing to witness.

I'm sure he could have gotten help to gradually get him off it. I'm just getting the impression that he's not bothered. If he's too hooked on it to be able to get off it even gradually, fair enough. If he can get off it, what's he playing at? I'm guessing the desire to be free of it isn't strong enough.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The shopkeeper should not have sold the gin to a well known alcoholic and drug offender.

The shopkeeper is not responsible for Paul Gascoigne's inability to stop drinking, no more than his friends or family are. He is a chronic alcoholic and if that shop didn't sell it to him, another one down the road would have. It's not even a choice for him at this stage, it's a chronic need.

No happy endings for Paul. His biggest love is booze and until/unless he falls out of love with it, this is just another sad snapshot of the rest of his probably short and miserable life. Sadly for him, he never gave rehab a chance, never put in the time, never reached the point where a life without booze was a possibility for him, never genuinely wanted to give up, just went through the motions - that's apparent in all his interviews and his half-arsed attempts at rehab.

Not a criticism of him, just a harsh fact of chronic addiction and he's been in the grip of it for decades. Some come through it, some don't and it's clear Paul is sadly a 'don't'.
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes sadly agree. Only a matter of time now. Isn't addiction a dreadful thing and goes to show you that all the money, help, foreign rehab centers, family support mean zippo if you don't want to help yourself or have reached a point where you are incapable of helping yourself.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    It's not against the law to sell alcohol to alcoholics or drug offenders, no matter how famous they are.

And, once he started to drink it instore, what did you expect the shopkeeper to do? Wrestle the bottle from him? He's a big lad with a reputation for violence.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    All these celebrities paid for him to go to rehab and yet this is what he does. He's a selfish prat who doesn't deserve people forking out money to help him.

At least he hasn't wasted someone else's liver transplant, like that other footballer pi**head Best.

Yet!:rolleyes:
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    I should imagine that if he was locked in a room and not allowed alcohol that this plan of action would not work as he would need to wean himself off of it.

It's ok his pals giving him money for rehab but he needs support on a personal level, where's his mate that one who allegedly got him drinking excessively in the first place, nine bellies or something, why doesn't he help?

Of course they will all be there crying at his funeral :rolleyes:

No-one can help him but himself. It is his responsibility, and his alone, to stop drinking.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    He has the right to drink himself to death and sadly in his case it is a matter of time.

But I hope against hope that the George Best scenario with him being given an liver transplant is not allowed again, that is pure waste in his case and an insult to the relatives who gave their loved ones organs to help people who need it and will continue to live in a way that will prolong their lives.

Gazza is past that I fear.