Magic 1548 - Just Great Songs

richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,891
Forum Member
Magic have dropped the 60's, 70's and More strap line , is this leading to a broadening of the playlist?

Comments

• suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope it sounds like it will narrow the playlist as they will only now play what they term just great songs like golds boring the greatest hits of all time which is rubbish. I guess its see what happens to the playlist but no doubt it will go like magic London and have a handfull of songs on rotation. I hope I'm wrong though.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,891
    Forum Member
    I hope you're wrong too. I was hoping it would lead to a broadening like on the Tony Blackburn show, but rolled out across the week. Gold is very 60's and 70's centred, so Magic moving into the 80's more and playing from the three great decades would be fab.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have heard, I love Magic- since they do a lot more speech than the other commercial radios we have in the North East. It's good that the presenters are all allowed to have a personality. I particularly like Nick and Ray at night. Where did Steve Coleman go?

Re: the playlist I think they are playing a little bit more from the 80's.. which is great, but we will see what happens.....Hope they don't go like Gold or Magic in London.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chelmsford Radio also describe themselves as "playing just great songs", so it is not an entirely new slogan.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Bauer AM stations in Scotland use "just great songs" and have done for a few years since they were all networked
  • colinhanslipcolinhanslip Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Connect FM in Northamptonshire as well...
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    And many others down the years. Isn't it a nod to the fact that songs from the 80s are now over 20 years old, and might well find their way onto the Magic AM playlist?
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it really the songs, we can listen to thousands of radio statoins worldwide and find "great songs" i would rather have "just great jocks" unfortunately that era is fading away rapidly. the bits in between the songs are as important as the music.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,840
    Forum Member
    I think the Magic AM stations are better than a lot, Ray Rose, Dave Campbell and others are quite entertaining, lots of listener interaction, much more than Gold I think. Where I am we get Magic 1548, Gold 1260 and Free 80’s 1017, Magic wins hands down for me
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    It's all very well Magic 1548 saying that they are playing " Just Great Songs " but they should realise that there have been some good instrumentals down the years that deserve to be played.
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DLT used to have some variety of music such as the '12 o'clock rock', when he was forced to 'take time off' I thought Magic would put on a show that was like most of the other output. Ray Rose though is doing a great job on the weekends with some excellent music choices.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would have loved magic north to come onto national dab or local multiplex here in Norwich like the London version used to be. If they did that I would listen mist of the time.