New Twist on the Multi-Doctor Idea

GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
Forum Member
I was thinking about how to make the "traditional" multi-Doctor story fresh and original, which, with all due respect to the opinions of some others here, has been done before...

Why not tell the story from the PoV of one of the earlier Doctors, not the current Doctor. The story could at least begin with the story being told from their PoV, without reference to 11. Sequences of one or more Doctors being abducted from their respective console rooms. Then you'd get to the point in the story where 11 is the main protagonist. Maybe it could involve a future Doctor as well. It wouldn't have to be 12 or even a numbered Doctor, so would avoid casting problems when 11 eventually regenerates.

End the story with some in story explanation as to why we never saw the earlier Doctor's appearance in this story. Maybe their memories are erased. Maybe that would link in with the Moff's current obsession with memory. And maybe that could link with Clara always telling the Doctor to remember? Maybe she's a forgotten companion to an earlier Doctor? Or even 11?

What do you think? Do you have ideas how a multi-Doctor story could be fresh and original?

:)

Comments

• sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is interesting, a story told from another Doctor's point of view or could also be a companion's point of view too, like Clara. Clara could have met the previous Doctors too and each Doctor has told Clara something to remember but she has forgotten, so she reminds The Doctor who has forgotten also, eventually The Doctor remembers after many Claras and puts it all together to find out what the question is. Who is the man with a plan?:D

The Doctor is usually the man with a plan and to make it interesting something is still missing.

Wo:D

Who is the woman with a plan?:D

The Rani:eek:
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of Clara having met all the previous Doctors too, but enough with Rani talk!!
    The Rani was a rubbish character in two terrible stories 25 years ago, why would anyone want her back??
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    sandydune has the 6th Sense:

"I see Rani's everywhere!"

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool:hm ok but aaa tad confusing ax
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    sandydune has the 6th Sense:

"I see Rani's everywhere!"

Run Rani Run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To steal an Idea for Star Trek, There was an episode of DS9 where Dax had to talk to one of her old host to solve a crime, and they were able to project her past host memories and personalities in to other members of the crew.

I think it would be interesting to see a sudo multi doctor story where he previous incarnation are fractured from is current ones, into the people that are around him at the time.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My idea is that the 50th special could not just be a multi doctor story but the one where he gets to the fields of Tranzalore then realises he has been there before and then starts bumping into different versions of himself.
    Forum Member
    Cel1084 wrote: »
    To steal an Idea for Star Trek, There was an episode of DS9 where Dax had to talk to one of her old host to solve a crime, and they were able to project her past host memories and personalities in to other members of the crew.

I think it would be interesting to see a sudo multi doctor story where he previous incarnation are fractured from is current ones, into the people that are around him at the time.

I can see how that would avoid casting problems, as long as the actors were able to "channel" the other Doctors. i.e. get their mannerisms and personalities right.

jedi matt wrote: »
    My idea is that the 50th special could not just be a multi doctor story but the one where he gets to the fields of Tranzalore then realises he has been there before and then starts bumping into different versions of himself.

I like that. It could fit with the Moff's current obsession with memory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    I can see how that would avoid casting problems, as long as the actors were able to "channel" the other Doctors. i.e. get their mannerisms and personalities right.

I like that. It could fit with the Moff's current obsession with memory.

Yeah I was thinking that too, and I'm sure there are many actors who could channel the doctor they grew up with. Though we shouldn't let the hard core fans here us talking like this or we may be the ones that have to do the regeneration :eek:
  • StevenRStevenR Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Another twist on the multi-doctor idea would be to do something like Star Trek did for their 30th Anniversary with the "Trials and Tribble-ations" episode of Deep Space Nine (integrating actors with old footage).
    If this was done well, it could be nice to see Matt Smith interact with William Hartnell's Doctor.
    Forum Member
    There's one area which could be used from the classic series and fit with SM's memory obsession: The Series 6B theory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Or just have Matt Smith act like the other 10 Doctors in a fractured personality scenario, much like his Ganger character did in The Almost People.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked back to something McCoy once said in an interview that should any old actors return, they should play different characters, with McCoy himself saying he'd want to be a villain.

Idea: For whatever reason, the Big Bad sends to Doctor into his own subconscious, (maybe Clara could come along), and the Doctor's psyche is broken, with each piece turning into a manifestation of the Doctor's past incarnation. Their age would be explained by saying that due to being taken from so deep within the Doctor's mind that that the projection didn't turn out entirely right (this could also explain the absence of the first three incarnations, which could not be extracted at all due to being so deep and hidden). The process has turned the seven previous incarnations into villainous and twisted versions of who they were, and left the Doctor almost a shell of the man he is. Throughout this whole thing, the Doctor manages to best these twisted versions and recollects them into his mind, restoring who he is, bit by bit (starting with his recollection of his first persona, the Doctor would find himself acting, and maybe dressed like the corresponding regeneration). This would go on until the Doctor had recollected every bit of himself. (This would also be a good excuse to see Matt Smith act and dress like the predecessors).