Britains Favourite Supermarket Foods

CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone watching this? So far Cherry "I'm not patronising at all" Healey has explained to us we eat a lot of biscuits, breakfast cereals and sandwiches - thanks for that!!
The "stats" on how many tons of biscuits, crisps etc couldn't be any less relevant to people yet all she does is continually spout things like "we drank enough cups of tea last year to fill Leeds Town Hall twice".....really?? And I can process that information how??

8pm on bbc1?? Really? Please put her back on bbc3 and this simplistic and overly drawn out trash with her.

Channels are overrun with these brain dead documentaries at the moment.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too many of these pointless programmes. What are we even supposed to do with the "knowledge" we get from them, anyway?
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is really annoying is that 'London eats more sandwiches than any where else in the UK....

That doesn't take a genius 5 seconds looking online shows that the Greater London area has a population of 9.8 million people. The Manchester built up area comes second with only 2.5 million inhabitants. Of course London will consume more, it's 4 times bigger!

edit, they just said the same thing about nuts too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be slightly useful if the average viewer had any idea what size Leeds Town Hall was. For all I know, it could be the size of the Albert Hall or a potting shed.

Sounds like a glorified infomercial too, like the Gregg Wallace thing that was on a couple of weeks ago. Rather than being an insight into their buying and selling practices, and whether the people who create supermarkets' wealth are living in abject poverty or working in sweat shops, we were "treated" to behind the scenes looks at staff making a barbecue and some woman sampling food.

Anyway, I'll leave you with another meaningless statistic. Camel's milk does not curdle.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I avoided it precisely because of the presenter.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching this, don't like that Cherry woman at all. She is talking to us like we are children, in a play school type voice. In fact, I've had enough and have now switched off.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the bbc sent a film crew to Cambridge to test yoghurt. . Ok :confused:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I avoided it precisely because of the presenter.

Only caught a few minutes of this but I have no idea who the presenter is. Is she a graduate of some BBC3 celeb show?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think so. Not watched any of her shows but have been unfortunate to flick over and catch a snippet of her presenting and that was more than enough to judge her.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    So the bbc sent a film crew to Cambridge to test yoghurt. . Ok :confused:

Cambridge is known for its culture ;)
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    "The results were inconclusive" got me
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, low-fat Yoghurt didn't help fat brides get thinner, compared to not eating low-fat Yoghurt, BUT STILL she kept harping on about how it was a diet miracle! Totally the wrong conclusion. :(
    Complete gobbledigook the whole thing.

Nuts!
    Let's see if snacking on nuts makes you fat, now what nuts do 'people' snack on? Peanuts & cashews. So ... they give her Almonds to eat. And surprise surprise : inconclusive results. I'd have to say : pointless results, should've given her loads of peanuts to chew on instead. (Would've shown the same non-results, mind.)
    This programme was rubbish!

At one point the presenter wore a nice red skirt so points for that anyway.

Here's my dietary suggestion : FAT doesn't make you fat, stop eating low-fat crud. Sugar makes you fat!
  • Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch this but will watch it on iPlayer another day - it doesn't sound too good though.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The nuts feature was interesting, almonds.:D
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, low-fat Yoghurt didn't help fat brides get thinner, compared to not eating low-fat Yoghurt, BUT STILL she kept harping on about how it was a diet miracle! Totally the wrong conclusion. :(
    Complete gobbledigook the whole thing.

Nuts!
    Let's see if snacking on nuts makes you fat, now what nuts do 'people' snack on? Peanuts & cashews. So ... they give her Almonds to eat. And surprise surprise : inconclusive results. I'd have to say : pointless results, should've given her loads of peanuts to chew on instead. (Would've shown the same non-results, mind.)
    This programme was rubbish!

At one point the presenter wore a nice red skirt so points for that anyway.

Here's my dietary suggestion : FAT doesn't make you fat, stop eating low-fat crud. Sugar makes you fat!

Whilst I agree about the BIB, the results weren't inconclusive, it did prove that you don't put on weight by eating a lot of almonds - no more than 1b over several weeks in her case - so they're a healthier snack than a lot of people think. Try the same with Greggs doughnuts and it will be a lot more than 1b.

And walnuts are my nut of choice. :)
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And all the research nicked from Secret Eaters programme on Channel 4.

What lazy, lazy efforts BBC. Next time, put it on BBC3 or BBC4 - certainly NOT mainstreat BBC1. Just utter rubbish work.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long has BBC1 been this awful for?

What have they got planned next week?

'Tales of the stamp collectors'
    'A guide to train spotting'
    'Dale Winton's sun tan stories'
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    Whilst I agree about the BIB, the results weren't inconclusive, it did prove that you don't put on weight by eating a lot of almonds - no more than 1b over several weeks in her case - so they're a healthier snack than a lot of people think. Try the same with Greggs doughnuts and it will be a lot more than 1b.

And walnuts are my nut of choice. :)

I bought a pack of almonds for a recipe once and two of my cats ran off with some of them. I am disappointed that no-one in the program mentioned that some cats like almonds. They also like donuts. We prefer peanuts. However, the stunning info that eating a lot of almonds does not make you fat seems to me to be a bit of a waste of TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Playschool for adults......

Hello Adults... today we are going to a big shop called a supermarket, it sells lots of lovely things to eat. Look at all these lovely bright colours of the biscuits. Do you like biscuits? I do..... shall we buy some?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long has BBC1 been this awful for?

What have they got planned next week?

'Tales of the stamp collectors'
    'A guide to train spotting'
    'Dale Winton's sun tan stories'

BBC4, the Kings of Repeats, have been showing that recently with Michael Portillo doing a sterling job.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a bit deja vu wasn't it? There have been so many programmes like this on recently and all of the shock news was stuff I knew already e.g. protein keeps you fuller longer and eating slowly means you eat less
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish I'd known she was giving away free biscuits on Glasgow's Buchanan Street. I'd have been there like a shot!
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed watching it but it didn't really tell me anything I didn't know. Porridge is good for you; more lean protein in your sandwich will fill you for longer than stodgy bread or fat laden mayonnaise; a bowl of soup is lower in calories than a rich pasta dinner and will help you avoid eating to much of said pasta; and calcium is good for you but choose low fat dairy products.
    Hmmm!!

By the way, is the presenter related to Sarah Beeney? She kept reminding me of her.
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a bit cbeebies the way it was presented.

The presenter spoke to people as if they were children.

'How many biscuits did you eat, you naughty naughty little boy'.
  • Dream_catcherDream_catcher Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I liked the presenter. I hadn't seen her before.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed watching it but it didn't really tell me anything I didn't know. Porridge is good for you; more lean protein in your sandwich will fill you for longer than stodgy bread or fat laden mayonnaise; a bowl of soup is lower in calories than a rich pasta dinner and will help you avoid eating to much of said pasta; and calcium is good for you but choose low fat dairy products.
    Hmmm!!

By the way, is the presenter related to Sarah Beeney? She kept reminding me of her.
    That soup one got me - how many times have I sat in a restaurant of planned a menu and pretty well everyonesays "well I fancy the soup but it will fill me up too much"

the nuts thing was interesting I thought but agree those statistics were pointless and she was annoying. BTW I though t the brides eating yogurt DID lose more weight, did I misunderstand that?