Gary Barlow needs to try harder!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funniest thing about this though is the choice of song. They've chosen Gary Barlow's 'Greatest Day' apparently. Given England's woeful performances I can't help but think that Barlow's 'I'd Wait For Life' would be a better choice.:D

How to alienate all non English people and I cant imagine your average footie fan rushing out to buy it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Doing the World Cup song/video with Gary Lineker.

Jesus. 2014 to be yet another year of too much bloody Borelow, then.

I was excited about the Neverland musical until I saw he was doing it. Has anyone ever had their fingers in as many pies as Borelow does right now? He is so overexposed I cringe at the mere mention of him.
  • Pablo79Pablo79 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Can't think of a more self-satisfied, smug pairing than Barlow and Lineker. Hopefully no one will buy the song and England's performance will be woeful.
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    No ....he really needs to try much less. The harder he tries to more loathsome he becomes :D
  • amanda daisyamanda daisy Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Chosen his own song? How self congratulatory of him.

Has he seen how we play?

I think a better choice would have been The Circus. :p

Proof that it was him who chose the song, please!
    It's the first time your country has a decent, classy song and yet once again you find something to complain about.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    It's the first time your country has a decent, classy song and yet once again you find something to complain about.

Firstly - he didn't choose the song - I believe Gary Linekar chose it and it was he who approached Barlow. For once - Barlow is innocent in this.

Secondly - Greatest Day is NOT a great song and it certainly isn't classy. I remember it being premiered on the Chris Moyles show and even he (one of Barlow's biggest hangers-on) was decidedly underwhelmed by it. Its a rather boring song in fact. Had Leona Lewis's camp not decided to move the release date of her version of 'Run' back by a week - Take That wouldn't even have managed the one week at number one they had with it. It really was a pity that they didn't lead with one of the better songs on the album (there were enough of them) but no - they had to lead with Barlow's voice even if it meant leading with a borefest.

World in Motion was and still is the greatest football song (what a pity our footie team can't be as brilliant). Barlow could try for decades and not come up with such a brilliant anthem.
  • Sierra-OscarSierra-Oscar Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    I don't know him, so I'm only going by how he comes over to me. And that is I'm sick and tired of seeing him on my TV screen. I wish he'd get lost. And as for a knighthood...........

I agree. He does come across as a desperate try-hard, obsessed with it always coming across that he's doing "good" for some cause or other.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    😂 He's come across as rather desperate hasn't he?

You can add the Beckham's too, Victoria posting photos of herself donating all her freebie outfits to a charity shop along with the usual fanfare of publicity whenever they do anything remotely worthy, I always stick photos on the net of myself posing with the bags of gear I take to my local charidee shop, don't you?
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I used to think he was okay but have gone right off him since watching him on the X Factor.
    Forum Member
    Firstly - he didn't choose the song - I believe Gary Linekar chose it and it was he who approached Barlow. For once - Barlow is innocent in this.

Secondly - Greatest Day is NOT a great song and it certainly isn't classy. I remember it being premiered on the Chris Moyles show and even he (one of Barlow's biggest hangers-on) was decidedly underwhelmed by it. Its a rather boring song in fact. Had Leona Lewis's camp not decided to move the release date of her version of 'Run' back by a week - Take That wouldn't even have managed the one week at number one they had with it. It really was a pity that they didn't lead with one of the better songs on the album (there were enough of them) but no - they had to lead with Barlow's voice even if it meant leading with a borefest.

World in Motion was and still is the greatest football song (what a pity our footie team can't be as brilliant). Barlow could try for decades and not come up with such a brilliant anthem.

Greatest Day is not a great song in your opinion. In other people's opinion, it's already an anthem, it's a favorite on the radio stations in Europe and it's a masterpiece of songwriting - that song could have easily spiralled out of control, yet it didn't, because it's brilliantly written. It's anything but boring. The whole built up to the final explosion is spectacular. Who cares that it was no.1 only for 1 week? Rule the World didn't even make it to top 20, yet it's undeniably a great song. I agree with you, though, that in the context of it being played on the radio casually, it might come across as a bit "boring", but that's precisely because it's meant to be played on stadiums, as an anthem, as a statement song.
    If you're implying that they should have gone with a song sung by another TT member, I won't even try to reply that one.

I've listened today for the 1st time to World in Motion and I thought it sounded like a tune from some Japanese cartoons - and I have some acquaintances in Spain and Germany who agree with me and don't see the attraction to that song - I mention this just to show you that the perception outside UK is pretty different to your own perception. Of course, it's your country's choice what should represent you in the world. As an outsider, I'd say that you should be prouder with Greatest Day than with the previous "anthems", but that's just me and a bunch of other people. And I don't really care about football or the song choices for the World Cup.
    I think it would only be fair to wait and see the final product and people's reaction to it, before passing a judgement.

Anyway, I got sidetracked. The issue at hand is not whether Greatest Day is the best song for the WC - if I'm honest, I would have preferred Gary to write an original song instead of helping out with a TT cover; the issue is the following: why is there ANOTHER Barlow bashing thread, when he's probably a minor part of the whole equation? As you've admitted yourself, he didn't go looking for this "opportunity", so why all the renewed accusations of him being after a knighthood? I'm sorry, but I honestly don't understand you people. When he goes out of his way to respond to a sick child's plea or when he does small gestures for the families of the people that he met and passed away from various illnesses, when he sends money to various causes (something we only find out because of a gratitude tweet from time to time, that usually goes unnoticed) it's still charity, just a very low key form of it, that usually doesn't make it to the press. He can't be after a knighthood in those cases as well, which means he actually has a heart and isn't the monster this forum is trying to portray him to be. If he is, he's managed to hide it very well for over 30 years and he's fooled everyone who's ever met him.
    This thread has also been used as an opportunity to attack him for being involved in Finding Neverland (another project he was asked to do), although the American review of his performance of the 6 tracks at the pre-Oscar party was laudatory and he even got a standing ovation from some of the biggest stars at Hollywood (who, in my opinion, were pretty objective, considering most of them were unaware of who he was).
    I understand that this is a debate forum, where people can say whatever they want; I'm just astonished at the hate you manage to abide for someone you've never met, know only from the press and who is just trying to do what he loves most - music. Your main problem with him seems to lay in your "impression" of him - because there's no proof yet of him having ever done anything to anyone -; don't you think that you constantly bashing him makes you worse than the person you believe him to be?
    I get it that he's not liked on this forum, that's pretty clear, but for goodness sake, not even James Arthur or other British "gems" get as much stick as Gary does. Every single thing he does is torn to pieces before he even had the chance to actually do it.
    Forum Member
    Greatest Day is not a great song in your opinion. In other people's opinion, it's already an anthem, it's a favorite on the radio stations in Europe and it's a masterpiece of songwriting - that song could have easily spiralled out of control, yet it didn't, because it's brilliantly written. It's anything but boring. The whole built up to the final explosion is spectacular. Who cares that it was no.1 only for 1 week? Rule the World didn't even make it to top 20, yet it's undeniably a great song. I agree with you, though, that in the context of it being played on the radio casually, it might come across as a bit "boring", but that's precisely because it's meant to be played on stadiums, as an anthem, as a statement song.
    If you're implying that they should have gone with a song sung by another TT member, I won't even try to reply that one.

I was at several 'Circus' concerts and I agree - Greatest Day is a good song to kick off a concert with. Its still boring as a stand-alone though. And by no stretch of the imagination could anyone say its 'brilliantly' written. I remember when I heard it for the first time (on the Chris Moyles show) and I was expecting something truly brilliant but it was just a bit 'meh'.

If he was to be involved with a football song (personally I detest the whole concept of these things - I happen to think World In Motion is a brilliant song on its own - aside from it being an anthem for a particular cause) I think Barlow should have written a new song because to be honest - the more he sings Take That songs alone (or with a new group of cronies) the more he just enforces the belief that it is he who writes ALL of Take That's songs and that he's doing the other guys a favour just by doing the odd tour with them. Oh heck! Who are we trying to kid - he DOES write all the songs for them - he just needed the other guys names on the album and on the concert tour programs to make them a success.
    Forum Member
    I was at several 'Circus' concerts and I agree - Greatest Day is a good song to kick off a concert with. Its still boring as a stand-alone though. And by no stretch of the imagination could anyone say its 'brilliantly' written. I remember when I heard it for the first time (on the Chris Moyles show) and I was expecting something truly brilliant but it was just a bit 'meh'.

If he was to be involved with a football song (personally I detest the whole concept of these things - I happen to think World In Motion is a brilliant song on its own - aside from it being an anthem for a particular cause) I think Barlow should have written a new song because to be honest - the more he sings Take That songs alone (or with a new group of cronies) the more he just enforces the belief that it is he who writes ALL of Take That's songs and that he's doing the other guys a favour just by doing the odd tour with them. Oh heck! Who are we trying to kid - he DOES write all the songs for them - he just needed the other guys names on the album and on the concert tour programs to make them a success.

Watch at 44:08 -47:29 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFBrvs2GCIQ
    Some people think that Greatest Day is the best song written by Gary. I personally don't agree, because I like other songs best - The Flood, for instance, is not one of my favorites, but I can admit it has more complexity than Greatest Day, thus it's better written-, but that doesn't mean I can't respect the fact that it's a well written song.
    For me, World in Motion is very common; as soon as I pressed the stop button, I couldn't even remember what the song sounded like.

As for your second part - I don't see the need for sarcasm. Nobody has claimed that the other TT members didn't contribute to the songwriting the 2nd time around; they function as a whole because people got used to them as such and like the friendship and chemistry between them. We'll never know if Gary would have been able to make it on his own in the 90s, so no need to ponder on that. We do know, however, that he was able to make it on his own this time around and that's probably the reason why people ask him to take part in so many projects. He has admitted it himself: he'll always take on music projects as long as they're offered to him, because he doesn't know how long success will last and because he still remembers how hard it was when nobody needed him.
    It's not his fault, however, in this particular case, that it was him who was asked to contribute and not the whole band. There were times when he asked the other boys to do the projects with him and they declined - though they do like to moan on twitter that they are bored out of their mind and, the second Gary drops everything for Take That: album promotion, X Factor, they immediately find projects that require their time. We don't even know if Gary sings at all on the cover, therefore he can't enforce the idea that he alone wrote the song, although the fact that it's only him that was needed for this project does point that way. Besides, in his previous gigs, he only sang the songs he wrote all alone or the ones he takes the lead on usually, just like Mark did on his gigs - but nobody has once blamed Mark for "enforcing" the idea on the public that he wrote those songs (or that he pretty much murdered Rule the World). At least he's always been respectful of the band's songs, unlike Mark or Robbie who mocked Back for Good for years.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I couldn't give two nuts what the song is, we're an embarrassment every tournament. This thread is about the desperation of Gary Barlow.

But at least World in Motion was a decent song. Greatest Day? For who? All the teams that play against us, that's who.
    Forum Member
    I couldn't give two nuts what the song is, we're an embarrassment every tournament. This thread is about the desperation of Gary Barlow.

But at least World in Motion was a decent song. Greatest Day? For who? All the teams that play against us, that's who.

The desperation for what, since it wasn't his initiative?

And wow... so much "passion" just because someone sucks at throwing a ball around!
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I used to have respect for the guy when he was in Take That.

He was a great songwriting talent, and I thought it was okay that he was a bit fat. He seemed like an ordinary man.

But ever since he went on that awful diet that made him look ill, too skinny, at the same time he also turned into this grovelling little man who now turns my stomach.

His song writing abilities have also gone down the pan.
    Completely agree with you. Ever since he appeared on XF, I always thought he looked plain ill and very weak and weedy looking. And very unmanly as well!
    Forum Member
    The desperation for what, since it wasn't his initiative?

And wow... so much "passion" just because someone sucks at throwing a ball around!

Amanda - we suck at kicking the ball around - not throwing it around! The only things the England team throw about are their toys out of the pram when things go wrong.
  • amelia99amelia99 Posts: 5,622
    Forum Member
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    I used to think he was okay but have gone right off him since watching him on the X Factor.

Agree with this 100%. Sadly it's put me off Take That too. Unfair I know as the others in the band seem nice but now every time I hear their songs I can't help being reminded of how much I don't like Borelow.
    Forum Member
    Amanda - we suck at kicking the ball around - not throwing it around! The only things the England team throw about are their toys out of the pram when things go wrong.

Sorry, my mistake :)
    Forum Member
    amelia99 wrote: »
    Agree with this 100%. Sadly it's put me off Take That too. Unfair I know as the others in the band seem nice but now every time I hear their songs I can't help being reminded of how much I don't like Borelow.

Yeah, unfortunately, Gary hasn't been nice enough with women around the world, that's why he ended up with a marriage with the same woman for over 14 years and with 3 children with the same woman. He hasn't been nice enough to try to convince a court to hide his affair with other women from the public or to have affairs with 10 women. It was his boring personality that kept him from being that nice and gave him a stable home and a loyal fanbase.
    Appearances can be misleading. It's not the sweet, friendly, smiling ones that are the "nice" ones.
    I still fail to see how any of these comments are relevant for the fact that he's involved in a music project.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, unfortunately, Gary hasn't been nice enough with women around the world, that's why he ended up with a marriage with the same woman for over 14 years and with 3 children with the same woman. He hasn't been nice enough to try to convince a court to hide his affair with other women from the public or to have affairs with 10 women. It was his boring personality that kept him from being that nice and gave him a stable home and a loyal fanbase.
    Appearances can be misleading. It's not the sweet, friendly, smiling ones that are the "nice" ones.
    I still fail to see how any of these comments are relevant for the fact that he's involved in a music project.

I don't see what being married to the same woman and with children should make us want to sit up and say 'what a great guy'. Jeffrey Archer has been married to the same woman for nearly 50 years and with a son. Should we sit up and sing his praises? You should really start your own thread Amanda on how marvellous you believe Barlow to be.

And who are the sweet, smiling, friendly ones you speak of?
    Forum Member
    Nah! With the exception of Jason Orange - I've gone off them all now.
  • amelia99amelia99 Posts: 5,622
    Forum Member

I take your point but I still like him less than all the others put together affairs, injunctions and multiple "baby mamas" included.
    Forum Member
    I take your point but I still like him less than all the others put together affairs, injunctions and multiple "baby mamas" included.

It's your right to like whoever you want, of course. For me, everything the others did is nauseating and I can't find one single thing done by Gary that could match 0.1% of what they did.
    Forum Member
    It's your right to like whoever you want, of course. For me, everything the others did is nauseating and I can't find one single thing done by Gary that could match 0.1% of what they did.
    They served their purpose though didn't they?
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dodging a lot of tax and being a greedy ****.