Nice and safe areas to live in London?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm planning on moving to London for work soon and wanted some advice on where are the nicest and safest areas to live, which aren't too expensive!

I'm thinking of areas in South East London, can anyone reccomend some nice places?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Where abouts will you be working?

How much of a commute do you want to get to work?

What's your budget?

Are you looking to house share, own place, studio etc?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Working potentially near Waterloo, would like a commute under 20 mins, looking for a 1 bed flat ideally, budget of around £700-£900 per month.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greenwich, Lee, blackheath, Eltham all with commuting in 20 minutes and you should be able to get something in the price range. All pretty safe areas too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rotherhithe is nice.

Jubilee line straight to Waterloo.
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under 20 minutes is a very short commute, so will restrict your options. I don't know what the average is, but I would have thought it is at least double that. I live in N London zone 3 and my commute to the City is 45 - 50 mins door to door.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrs brody wrote: »
    I'm planning on moving to London for work soon and wanted some advice on where are the nicest and safest areas to live, which aren't too expensive!

I'm thinking of areas in South East London, can anyone reccomend some nice places?

Thanks in advance! :)

The phrase, "aren't too expensive" & London should never appear in the same sentence.

If you're planning to live in London, it's going to be expensive.

You're better off in the outskirts, or even just outside London in places like Staines for example.

Transport links are good, so commuting shouldn't be a problem (unless your name is Eric Pickles who thinks 37 miles is too far to commute & warrants a second home).
  • j4the1j4the1 Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Greenwich, Lee, blackheath, Eltham all with commuting in 20 minutes and you should be able to get something in the price range. All pretty safe areas too.

I was about to write this, I live here. :)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Bromley/Orpington are quite good... they may not offer much in and of themselves but are largely safe, offer quick commutes into London (Victoria and Blackfriars from Bromley, Waterloo and London Bridge from Orpington) and are minutes away from the country as well. :)
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Forest Hil, Penge ect. Safe enough and 30 mins to Waterloo, though thats not door to door though. Trains - you will have to change - or a 176 bus.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sidcup is nice and an easy commute
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Oh and there's no such thing as a 20 minute commute

I live in Bromley, which takes just over 15 minutes to get to Victoria by train, and less than 10 minutes more to get to Waterloo on the tube. By bus, the journey takes over an hour and a half to get to Victoria alone, and it'd be a 13 mile walk. I guess the only down side is that if the trains aren't running, you've got a long rail replacement service to take... but I've only known it to happen once in about six years.

From Orpington, the journey takes no longer than 30 minutes to Waterloo, only adding the extra time due to stopping at every station en route. :)
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and there's no such thing as a 20 minute commute (unless you live within walking distance).

Very true. The best you can hope for is about 30 mins. I used to live in Swiss Cottage and work in Westminster and that was 30 mins door to door (only a few stops on the Jubilee line). However, I was paying through the teeth to live in a posh area only as a lodger (with a nightmare landlady).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    If you are working near Waterloo you might want to consider looking out toward the South West, try Surbiton, Berrylands, Kingston, Raynes Park etc.
    By 20 minutes I hope you mean justthe train/tube part? 20 minutes door to door + 700-900 + 1 bed flat + nice area and all in London isn't going to happen.

You'll either need to up the budget or commuting time or downsize your expectations.
  • allhitradioallhitradio Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    If you really want to minimise your commute, you could do worse than Tooting, Colliers Wood, South Wimbledon etc towards the end of the Northern Line. There was a Location, Location, Location recently around that area and it looked quite nice - lots of trendy shops and cafes. I've looked on Rightmove and there are a few one bed flats within your budget.

I get what people say about looking further outside London, e.g. Bromley, Orpington, but it wouldn't be living in London as such. It's definitely suburbia - I should know, that's where I was born and raised! I moved into London when I started work and although I lived in a crumby little studio flat, I had the time of my life. So, my advice would be to be a central as you can afford and try to keep the commute to a short walk and the Tube if you can.
    Forum Member
    What about door to door (from Bromley)? You've said it's 25 mins on the train and tube - if they run perfectly. You obvioulsy need to add in some time to get from the train at Victoria down to the tube line. And what about from your home to the train and from Waterloo to where ever you work? I think unless you've got a boss who doesn't care what time you get in, allowing less than an hour is risky no?

Agreed, allowing less than an hour would be risky and it really depends on how far you have to walk from the corresponding stations. I'm lucky in that I live less than 5 minutes from the station so that end of the journey is no concern.
    In the past I've always been lucky to have never had to travel far from the London-end for whatever purpose, but I guess it differs for everyone. :)
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to live in Fleet, Hants. and train to Waterloo. Quite a long way, so season ticket needs budgeting for, but very nice and very fast, some trains have zero stops, and you can cycle to the station.

However, I am answering as a family man. If you are single or couple without children, you might prefer being closer to the centre, or on a tube line. (The reasons I said Fleet include that you can go in by train, and not ride the tube, which is travel hell). I also lived in Wimbledon and my parents lived in Morden. Such places are what you might call safe, but they are not cheap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for all the advice, this is really helpful!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zaali wrote: »
    If you are working near Waterloo you might want to consider looking out toward the South West, try Surbiton, Berrylands, Kingston, Raynes Park etc.
    By 20 minutes I hope you mean justthe train/tube part? 20 minutes door to door + 700-900 + 1 bed flat + nice area and all in London isn't going to happen.

You'll either need to up the budget or commuting time or downsize your expectations.

Nice one bed flats in Surbiton and Kingston are not cheap either and if you add in travel costs, will probably cost just as much living somewhere more central.

If you want safe, then I would say most of SE London would be out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nowere London is full or criminals, better off move to manchester
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I live in nunhead and love it - 25 mins to work and the friendliest area I've ever lived in. You'd definitely get a flat for less than £900 pm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Couldn't you afford East Dulwich? :p

Haha, no I couldn't ! But in hindsight, nunhead is so much better for transport and friendly neighbours. East dulwich is too "yummy mummy" for me!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have lived all over London and found that every area has good and bad right next to each other.

I lived just off Walworth Road years ago. It was a really posh road with professional people, yet it was a stones throw from the Heygate Estate. :eek: One of the worst estates in the UK.

Wherever you live in London, you will not be far from a 'bad area'
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have lived all over London and found that every area has good and bad right next to each other.

I lived just off Walworth Road years ago. It was a really posh road with professional people, yet it was a stones throw from the Heygate Estate. :eek: One of the worst estates in the UK.

Wherever you live in London, you will not be far from a 'bad area'

I agree with this, every area has problem pockets, you have to be sensible and keep your wits about you. Become a bit street wise.
  • punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This other recent thread might be useful

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1795464&highlight=lewisham

and the crime maps at www.police.uk are a godsend for checking out different locations. As mentioned, most areas have good and bad bits. My former hometown of Eltham can be a bit rough to the west but the east side is lovely.