Is Microsoft paying off Game too?

gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
Forum Member
Just walked past my local store and a great big poster about pre-ordering the Xbox1 but nothing about PS4.....

Comments

• Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weird, I walked past one the other day and they had posters for both up.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most (not all) Game stores are Xbox fanboys anyway.
    My local Game store has posters for both though.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Guess it's just down to store level then and not orders from above
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Dude, guess who are going to be one of the authorised Xbone pre-owned resellers?
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my store the girl said she wasnt surprised I was pre ordering the ps4 as nobody seems interested in the new xbox
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    GAME is in MS's pocket.....
    Forum Member
    Seoulite wrote: »
    Dude, guess who are going to be one of the authorised Xbone pre-owned resellers?

Ah yes, forgot that! Decision might backfire if the percentage split between owners of both is as how it looks at the minute
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »

Sorry but what a ridiculous statement to make.
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »

GAME get paid for us employees to wear their merchandise. Sony doesn't, and that is why everything seems MS centric.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Just walked past my local store and a great big poster about pre-ordering the Xbox1 but nothing about PS4.....

It's most likely your local Game ran out of their allocated PS4s for pre-ordering and are trying to get people to pre-order their Xbones instead.

I think you will find that any high street gaming store will be pushing PS4s into oblivion, as they can still make maximum margins from used games.
    Forum Member
    Dan27 wrote: »
    It's most likely your local Game ran out of their allocated PS4s for pre-ordering and are trying to get people to pre-order their Xbones instead.

I think you will find that any high street gaming store will be pushing PS4s into oblivion, as they can still make maximum margins from used games.

That's why I was surprised to even see a XBox1 poster there!
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    They still need to sell Xbone consoles and new games, even if they dont make their money from it. Better than letting their competition get sales over them
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but what a ridiculous statement to make.

It was a poor attempt from me at trying to wind you up mate. Ignore me today i've had one too many sherrys lol.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    No probs :)
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seoulite wrote: »

So xbox having the #1 game retailer in the UK as a 'authorised pre owned reseller' somehow makes GAME in the pocket of Microsoft?
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So xbox having the #1 game retailer in the UK as a 'authorised pre owned reseller' somehow makes GAME in the pocket of Microsoft?

Of course it doesn't, but if they're actively advertising and pushing pre orders for the Xbone while not doing similar for the PS4 it does stink a little. And I though as much last week when my local store had a sandwich board outside pushing XboxOne, but nothing for PS4. Likewise the store's facbook page prominently features an Xbone header image, but no PS4 equivalent.

O course, Dan27 could be right, it could be that they've been recommended not to push PS4 pre-orders due to high early demand, I's be surprised though.
    Forum Member
    I can't say what goes on, but GAME are in MS's pockets......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a petty little thread this is, you didn't see a PS4 poster in your store, all hurt and full of suspicion, you post your findings on here and claim ms have paid off GAME, but not all the stores, just a select few. Maybe pre-orders are poor at your store OP?

It's all getting out hand now, just stop! Please.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the most ugly side of all this, you voice genuine concerns and people just condescend or shout "fanboy", IIRC it was about 2010 before all this crap died down last time. Bring on 2015.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    What a petty little thread this is, you didn't see a PS4 poster in your store, all hurt and full of suspicion, you post your findings on here and claim ms have paid off GAME, but not all the stores, just a select few. Maybe pre-orders are poor at your store OP?

It's all getting out hand now, just stop! Please.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:yawn:

Microsoft do pay GAME to promote their products though. It's very well known throughout the company.

As to whether they're paying GAME to promote the Xbox One? No idea.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Microsoft do pay GAME to promote their products though. It's very well known throughout the company.

As to whether they're paying GAME to promote the Xbox One? No idea.

But do Sony & Nintendo also do the same?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    But do Sony & Nintendo also do the same?

Of course they do, the question is whether or not MS is paying for prominence over it's competitors.

Of course it could be that 360 sales have been so crucial to Game's 'survival' in recent years that they genuinely believe that giving the Xbone prominence is their best way of making money in the future.

You have to remember that Sony's model of building a huge portfolio of DL only indie title is of no interest whatsoever to Game and other high-street retailers.

EDIT: I need to stop starting my sentences with 'of course'. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    It think MS are paying off Digital Spy to be honest.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DRM_Buster wrote: »
    It think MS are paying off Digital Spy to be honest.

Rofl. It does feel like a few work for MS both visible and non visible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it doesn't, but if they're actively advertising and pushing pre orders for the Xbone while not doing similar for the PS4 it does stink a little. And I though as much last week when my local store had a sandwich board outside pushing XboxOne, but nothing for PS4. Likewise the store's facbook page prominently features an Xbone header image, but no PS4 equivalent.

O course, Dan27 could be right, it could be that they've been recommended not to push PS4 pre-orders due to high early demand, I's be surprised though.

I take it all back, same Game store in Norwich now has a sandwich board for PS4 pre-orders, advertising an "exclusive Game bundle", I couldn't actually see any promotion of Xbone in the store, if there was any it was hiding behind extensive The Last Of Us branding! Their facebook page now has a TLoU header image too.

I'm happy to admit I've been wrong, Game are not giving MS any undue prominence, they're just pushing what they're told to this week.