Gerry Anderson RIP

12346»

Comments

• GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    The MOD should have let Gerry Anderson design real plane and vehicles. Can you imagine the Red Arrows doing a display in Thunderbird 1s. And who wants a Herules when you can have Thunderbird 2 :)

Although a mate did point out that if you take a Eurofighter Typhoon, bend the wings, change the tail a bit it looks like an Angel Interceptor from Captain Scarlet.

Great thought! But is it very safety to flight in it? As that what air designers are for.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    Great thought! But is it very safety to flight in it? As that what air designers are for.

Oh goody one for the nasal speakers :)
    I don't think an Angel would fly, nobody seems to have built a flying RC model of it, that I've found.

I suspect the wing configuration is what would stop it.
    Not sure what you'd call it inverted Gull?
    F4 Phantom, mixed with the T tail from a F104.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    He and his team (including Derek Meddings the model and effects man) moved the art of model filming techniques forward by leaps & bounds, and some of his later shows like UFO and Space 1999 were as good as anything seen in the cinema at the time.

Absolutely right Andy. In my opinion Gerry's pioneering and innovative body of work makes him THE most significant figure in British classic television of all time, even ahead of the likes of Lew Grade, Dennis Spooner, Brian Clemens and Patrick MacGoohan.
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The MOD should have let Gerry Anderson design real plane and vehicles. Can you imagine the Red Arrows doing a display in Thunderbird 1s. And who wants a Herules when you can have Thunderbird 2 :)

Although a mate did point out that if you take a Eurofighter Typhoon, bend the wings, change the tail a bit it looks like an Angel Interceptor from Captain Scarlet.

Yes but some slaphead pretending to be The Hood would sabotage them! :rolleyes:
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twizzle

Torchy the Battery Boy

Four Feather Falls

Supercar

Fireball XL5

Stingray

Thunderbirds.

Not sure of the chronology from there but there were still some good 'uns. UFO was excellent.

Wow - I'd no idea Gerry was responsible for Twizzle and Torchy as well. Only hazy memories, but my mum told me I loved those as a tot. So thanks Gerry, if it hadn't been for you, we'd have only had Watch with Mother!
  • data123data123 Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    There was a Gerry Anderson tribute show on MarlowFM you can listen to it here

http://www.marlowfm.co.uk/news/153.html

to Feb 14th 2013