Playbooks outsold 4th gen ipad in the last quarter of 2012

Comments

• PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    You'll see. But don't worry, iOS users will probably get to experience some of Android's latest features in the iPhone 6S or something in a few years, so it's not all bad. :)

LOL. Right.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    No, it is clear there are not "plenty of apps" for Android. That is fact. Whether there are enough for you is another matter.

What "more features?"

The iPad has access to over 300,000 actual tablet apps so most people would be more than happy to be supposedly locked into such an ecosystem.

You're a moron who isn't worth arguing with :rolleyes:
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it is clear there are not "plenty of apps" for Android. That is fact. Whether there are enough for you is another matter.

What "more features?"

The iPad has access to over 300,000 actual tablet apps so most people would be more than happy to be supposedly locked into such an ecosystem.

How many of the 300,000 apps do you use?
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What "exciting products?" More ho hum inexpensive 7" tablets?

The fact is, the experience on the iPad is a night and day difference better since you have so many more apps to choose from. You also get the best build quality, much less of a chance of getting malware, the best resale value, the best customer service and tech support and the best third party accessories support.

You must be joking! There are so many duplicate apps. Forget about app numbers, rather see more quality and unique apps and as far as that goes there is nothing between google play and app store when it comes to unique apps. Show me there are thousands and thousands of unique and useful apps on the app store and I may just believe you.

I've looked through the app store and there are many many many crappy apps too. Same as in Google play, but there are enough useful apps on both platforms, so this is a silly debate.

App numbers alone mean absolutely nothing!

What is significant though, is Iphone/ipad users are using more and more google apps anyways! Can't do without google maps, Chrome is also on IOS, don't forget youtube, and Google Now is even available to go splatter siri around.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much of the web, so vast a choice of sanctioned walled garden apps, an original mapping system, weird and very expensive connectivity.

What more could a user want, a cheaper version called the Playbook?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    So much of the web, so vast a choice of sanctioned walled garden apps, an original mapping system, weird and very expensive connectivity.

What are you on about? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    You must be joking! There are so many duplicate apps. Forget about app numbers, rather see more quality and unique apps and as far as that goes there is nothing between google play and app store when it comes to unique apps. Show me there are thousands and thousands of unique and useful apps on the app store and I may just believe you.

What is significant though, is Iphone/ipad users are using more and more google apps anyways! Can't do without google maps, Chrome is also on IOS, don't forget youtube, and Google Now is even available to go splatter siri around.

You're in denial or simply do not know better. I'd say the former more than the later. It's industry knowledge. When it comes to tablets Android is grossly deficient in number of apps available, their compatibility amongst the different Android tablets available, and also in terms of quality and uniqueness, not to mention that iOS usually gets apps first.

I don't use Google maps. It isn't necessary when Apple's maps works just fine now. The only Google service I use is YouTubes's videos but I use a third party iOS app that taps into all of YouTube"s videos without having to view any of their ads. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

Huh? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're in denial or simply do not know better. I'd say the former more than the later. It's industry knowledge. When it comes to tablets Android is grossly deficient in number of apps available, their compatibility amongst the different Android tablets available, and also in terms of quality and uniqueness, not to mention that iOS usually gets apps first.

I don't use Google maps. It isn't necessary when Apple's maps works just fine now. The only Google service I use is YouTubes's videos but I use a third party iOS app that taps into all of YouTube"s videos without having to view any of their ads. :D

YOU don't use google maps, but plenty others do, Enough for it to be in the top 10 most downloaded IOS apps. Same for youtube everyone uses youtube. So google as a pretty big presence in the life of an Iphone/ipad user.

Honestly using regular apps on an Android tablet is no big issue. With the ipad you have to zoom the phone apps and they look crappy. Most apps on android just scale and look decent on a tablet.

Name me 20 useful apps that IOS has that, Android doesn't have an equivalent of? Cos let's be honest a bit number of users do not need a thousand apps so show me where IOS has the edge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YOU don't use google maps, but plenty others do, Enough for it to be in the top 10 most downloaded IOS apps. Same for youtube everyone uses youtube. So google as a pretty big presence in the life of an Iphone/ipad user.

Only when it was first introduced and Apple's Maps was having issues. Now it doesn't even make the top 100. :)

Sorry to break it to you but most people simply use YouTube and that's it. Google, as an ad company, greatly needs Apple, not the other way around.
    Honestly using regular apps on an Android tablet is no big issue. With the ipad you have to zoom the phone apps and they look crappy. Most apps on android just scale and look decent on a tablet.

iPad users have over 300,000 ****tablet**** apps available to them so why would they be using iPhone apps instead? I don't do that nor do I know any iPad user that does that.

A scaled up phone app is crap on a tablet as the graphics look awful and the app is not designed to take advantage of the larger screen and higher resolution.
    Name me 20 useful apps that IOS has that, Android doesn't have an equivalent of? Cos let's be honest a bit number of users do not need a thousand apps so show me where IOS has the edge.

I"m not going to do the work for you. This is common industry knowledge and nothing you couldn't confirm by reading Android forums and industry and tech news. Those who are openminded and are considering getting a tablet and are unsure of Android or an iPad will surely look into what I said.

I never suggested anyone will have a "thousand apps" on their tablet. Having the choice of over 300,000 tablet apps with the iPad makes it much more likely the user will be satisfied with the number of apps he chooses to use on his iPad as opposed to Android tablets, and that is over and over again the common complaint amongst Android tablet users, not to mention an often lower quality app or one that isn't compatible with their particular Android tablet.

The Android tablet app situation is a joke compared to iOS and the iPad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only when it was first introduced and Apple's Maps was having issues. Now it doesn't even make the top 100. :)

Sorry to break it to you but most people simply use YouTube and that's it. Google, as an ad company, greatly needs Apple, not the other way around.

iPad users have over 300,000 ****tablet**** apps available to them so why would they be using iPhone apps instead? I don't do that nor do I know any iPad user that does that.

A scaled up phone app is crap on a tablet as the graphics look awful and the app is not designed to take advantage of the larger screen and higher resolution.

I"m not going to do the work for you. This is common industry knowledge and nothing you couldn't confirm by reading Android forums and industry and tech news. Those who are openminded and are considering getting a tablet and are unsure of Android or an iPad will surely look into what I said.

I never suggested anyone will have a "thousand apps" on their tablet. Having the choice of over 300,000 tablet apps with the iPad makes it much more likely the user will be satisfied with the number of apps he chooses to use on his iPad as opposed to Android tablets, and that is over and over again the common complaint amongst Android tablet users, not to mention an often lower quality app or one that isn't compatible with their particular Android tablet.

The Android tablet app situation is a joke compared to iOS and the iPad.

But out of those 300,000 ipad apps, how many of them are useful and unique? At least list me the top 20 ipad apps that aren't available for Android? You made the claim so back it up with evidence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But out of those 300,000 ipad apps, how many of them are useful and unique? At least list me the top 20 ipad apps that aren't available for Android? You made the claim so back it up with evidence.

Everything I needed to say on the subject is in my last post. If someone is truly interested in knowing the truth then can spend a few hours reading Android, tech forums and industry related news. Obviously you are not interested in doing that so consider my post as being useless in convincing someone like you of the truth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's number 17 right now if you look on an iPhone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's number 17 right now if you look on an iPhone.

I was looking at the iPad apps. Nevertheless, it is obviously not in the top ten as someone else said. The fact that it is going down shows what I see with people that I know that own iPhones, that most users are simply using Apple's maps, especially since they tie into everything else, unlike Google's maps. I suspect people are now mostly using Google's maps for Streetview. Apple's maps have come along quite nicely.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking at the iPad apps. Nevertheless, it is obviously not in the top ten as someone else said. The fact that it is going down shows what I see with people that I know that own iPhones, that most users are simply using Apple's maps, especially since they tie into everything else, unlike Google's maps. I suspect people are now mostly using Google's maps for Streetview. Apple's maps have come along quite nicely.

There isn't a Google maps app for the ipad!
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't a Google maps app for the ipad!

And even using the iphone version on the iPad is better than Apple maps.... Ironically, when you plot a route using public transport on Apple Maps, it uses the Google iphone app to give you the information
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the same could easily be said of the play store. Google recently removed 60,000 apps they considered junk.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Fifa 13, Bookworm, Fairway Solitaire...
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

Love film instant, Digital theatre, Readr, Syfy Sync, Sims medieval, Battleship...
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love film instant, Digital theatre, Readr, Syfy Sync, Sims medieval, Battleship...

heading out so don't have time to go through all of these but...

Love film instant - yes perhaps nice t get a choice, but Netflix is available and widely considered to be much better I believe? (and of course LF is available on the Kindle Fires)

Readr - very quick skim, looks to be no different to Google Play Magazines/Zinio/Press reader

Syfy Sync - Available on Android tablets
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nbcuni.syfy.syfysync.uk

Fairway solitaire looks no different to many puzzle games out there (on both platforms)

Battleship - as in the board game? Perhaps not the exact same game from the same developer, but no shortage of them. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=battleship&c=apps

Are there any apps here mentioned so far that, even taken collectively, would make people lean towards the ipad?
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    heading out so don't have time to go through all of these but...

Love film instant - yes perhaps nice t get a choice, but Netflix is available and widely considered to be much better I believe?

Readr - very quick skim, looks to be no different to Google Play Magazines/Zinio/Press reader

Syfy Sync - Available on Android tablets
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nbcuni.syfy.syfysync.uk

Fairway solitaire looks no different to many puzzle games out there (on both platforms)

Battleship - as in the board game? Perhaps not the exact same game from the same developer, but no shortage of them. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=battleship&c=apps

Similar is not the same though - if it was no one would moan about the Playbook having a lack of apps as the Playook has apps for most ocassions as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Similar is not the same though - if it was no one would moan about the Playbook having a lack of apps as the Playook has apps for most ocassions as well.

If one was a ground breaking innovative experience and the rest were shoddy rip offs, perhaps. But Solitaire and Battleships?

And I understand most Playbook owners are pretty happy with the selection. 800,000 apps is irrelevant for most people. There were 'lots of apps' when there 100,000 apps available in the stores. App availability is simply no longer a big factor, unless you have a strong desire to play games from a particular games developer that only releases on one platform.

edit: I will throw a bone to the ipad list though. The poor Android tablet support for Sky Go is a massive failing, though apparently one that will be corrected soon.
    Forum Member
    If one was a ground breaking innovative experience and the rest were shoddy rip offs, perhaps. But Solitaire and Battleships?

People like specific games and apps and if they can't get them on a particular platform then it will put them that platform.

If you try out a lot of Solitaire games there is a very big variance in how good and bad they are - some are excellent and some are pitiful. So if o have one that you like to play there is no incentive to move to a different platform if you will lose something that you like.
    Forum Member
    And I understand most Playbook owners are pretty happy with the selection. 800,000 apps is irrelevant for most people. There were 'lots of apps' when there 100,000 apps available in the stores. App availability is simply no longer a big factor, unless you have a strong desire to play games from a particular games developer that only releases on one platform.

edit: I will throw a bone to the ipad list though. The lack of Android tablet support for Sky Go is a massive failing.

I've had a Playbook and as I tend to use if for games it was frustrating the lack of choice available and some of the ones that were availble in a particular genere could often be pretty poor.

There is the issue of cost as well as where say, Angry Birds is free of 69p add free on Android, 69p on iOS it's about £5 on the Playbook which is certainly off putting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you try out a lot of Solitaire games there is a very big variance in how good and bad they are - some are excellent and some are pitiful. So if o have one that you like to play there is no incentive to move to a different platform if you will lose something that you like.

Perhaps thats why I fail to understand the issue. for me, finding an 'equivalent' app is part and parcel of switching platforms (Java -> Symbian S60 -> Android)

Even if there were the exact same apps available for both platforms, it would still take a while to search and add say 200 apps that have been purchased/installed.