do you think actors really upset when their co stars die

SophiaK70SophiaK70 Posts: 485
Forum Member
for example whenever they show a tribute at the british soap awards they always put the camera on someone wiping away a tear

im sure they are upset but i cant help worry they are doing it for their own ego

Comments

• HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people start threads for their own ego.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    I think some people start threads for their own ego.

This made me laugh out loud :D
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,667
    Forum Member
    Why shouldn't they be upset? If they are working closely with someone every day and have a close friendship with them too then of course they will be upset. For example DS did a story last week of how Alan Halsall has struggled to deal with Bill Tarmey's death due to their close working relationship.
  • SophiaK70SophiaK70 Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Why shouldn't they be upset? If they are working closely with someone every day and have a close friendship with them too then of course they will be upset. For example DS did a story last week of how Alan Halsall has struggled to deal with Bill Tarmey's death due to their close working relationship.

im not suggesting they shouldnt be upset, im just saying , i hope they are upset
  • SophiaK70SophiaK70 Posts: 485
    Forum Member

and i read that too and of course he is upset he was like a dad to to him
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, for a soap actor to stumble upon this thread...
  • axl roseaxl rose Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be like anyone else who experiences the death of a colleague. Some people'd death would deeply affect you and others wouldn't. The same goes for family, friends, anyone really.
  • The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It honestly depends. I think most actors would be sad if one of their co-stars died, some people do like to 'lead the tributes' and act as if they'll miss them the most, but there could well be someone who wasn't universally liked and won't be missed.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    axl rose wrote: »
    It would be like anyone else who experiences the death of a colleague. Some people's death would deeply affect you and others wouldn't. The same goes for family, friends, anyone really.

This..

You only need to read Nina Wadia's DS interview to know how close some soap actors can be.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a number of colleagues over the years who have died and although they have all saddened me, I can't really say any of them have devastated me.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    This..

You only need to read Nina Wadia's DS interview to know how close some soap actors can be.

Yep and others couldn't give a stuff.

The same as every other working environment I'm sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would depend on the person who died and what they were like surely .
  • Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of course they will? forget soap actors, when you work you spend more time with your collegues than you do with your own family. Of course there will be some who have no time for their collegues but for many they will form very close bonds with people at work
  • lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Wendy Richard died; Letitia Dean, June Brown, Patsy Palmer, Adam Woodyatt, Todd Carty, James Alexandrou, Natalie Cassidy and Barbara Windsor were among some of the stars upset. I remember Barbara looking very gaunt at the soap awards and at Wendy's funeral. Wendy was a legend.
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I read that, it was very sad.

Wendy Richards passing affected June Brown badly as well, if I remember rightly.
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Wendy Richard died; Letitia Dean, June Brown, Patsy Palmer, Adam Woodyatt, Todd Carty, James Alexandrou, Natalie Cassidy and Barbara Windsor were among some of the stars upset. I remember Barbara looking very gaunt at the soap awards and at Wendy's funeral. Wendy was a legend.

Didn't read properly before I posted. This is what I mean.

She was a legend, as was Bill Tarmey.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we get something straight. The OP isn't asking if actors mourn all their co-stars who die. She's suggesting some of them show fake emotion, crocodile tears, as a way of making themselves look good.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the bloke playing Tyrone isn't taking BIll's death well :(
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,174
    Forum Member
    The answer is some might put on crocodile tears but I think that they are going to be in the minority. It's goiing to be the same as any work or even school situation, you will be fonder of some than others, form friendships with some, whilst just be on nodding terms with others and actually dislike some but try and keep a lid on it as you are forced to spend time with them and you need to be professional and not cause trouble.

Also, think about these award and tribute shows. Even if you weren't particuarly close to someone you'd probably tear up at seeing an homage / tribute to someone you'd known for years. They are designed and edited to provoke a reaction. I've been known to blub at them and I've never met the actors - it's just the thought they've gone forever.

I've attended funerals on my husbands side of the family, people I've only met a couple of times, if at all, and whilst I'm not a professional mourner, that level of grief around you is effecting and causes me to feel sad as well. Some of these people may be similar, the fact they are maybe sitting with someone that was close to the deceased who is genuinely grieving may make them feel cry too.

As a rule, I'd say who attends the funeral is a good indication. Except in very unusual circumstances, they don't close the set for the day, they have to rejig filming schedules to allow people to go - I'd imagine they do it for those that were genuinely close rather than who wants the puublicity.