Cloud Atlas

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
Forum Member
✭✭
A science fiction movie for (and probably by) people who don't really like science fiction.
Tom Hanks and lots of other big names who really should know better, canter through a bunch of hoary old SF tropes which don't add up to very much. Some nice photography and fx plus some ludicrous false noses and equally dodgy old age make-up make this a dead cert for the "most pretentious load of tosh" Oscar come April.
Multiple roles abound and it must be said, Ben Whishaw makes a very comely wench.
One of the characters shoots himself and I guess many of the audience will probably feel like doing the same after about 10 minutes.
Makes "The Fountain" and "Southland Tales" look like coherent narratives.:o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Really?? After 10 minutes?
    "Cloud Atlas" is the best piece of cinema I have seen in recent years. It is everything a film should be, and everyone should go and see it. It is like life itself - not a life from the "kitchen" point of view, but as if seen from far away, from somewhere which is beyond time and space.
    The film scared me, but it didn't make me depressed - and it made me feel grateful.

I was lucky enough to catch it on my holidays in Germany - it is disappearing from the cinemas now. When it comes "to a theatre near you", do yourself a favour and don't miss it. Support films that make you remember why you love going to the cinema in the first place.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each to their own but I think this movie is designed to keep people out of cinemas.
    It makes "Avatar" look deep and meaningful in comparison.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ursus_P wrote: »
    Really?? After 10 minutes?

It does bug me when people say things like "this is the worst film ever made - i turned it off after 10 minutes". How can you know it's the worst film ever made if you haven't actually watched all of it ?

But, obviously, the OP didn't say that, it's just a bugbear of mine. It's out next month in the UK so I might give it a look as I do like the premise of it.
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my most favorite book every and the film reviews are looking positive, I know I shall enjoy every single minute of this film, just a shame we have to wait so long
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this today . I have to admit I didn't know what was going on for say the first 40 minutes then it began to slot together a bit . Now I'm reading a bit about theory's of it on Imdb. I enjoyed it though 8/1O. I wasn't keen on some of the prosthetics though .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant film.... 9/10
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got 2hrs to go but it looks promising.