Cheap soundbar required

Hi all

We've got one of these tv's. Can't fault the picture but the sound is rather poor to put it politely. The only dedicated audio outputs are the 3.5mm jack headphone socket and a proper optical connection.

I'm looking at buying a cheap sound bar.

Been looking at this. It gets good reviews but connection is limited to phono and 3.5 jack.
Also looking at this. Can't find many comments about it but it does have an optical input.
And this. Again comments are few and far between but has an optical input.

We have an old cheap stereo system connected via the headphone jack at the moment and the sound is much improved......
However it looks terrible and we need to turn the volume up to nearly 100% to get a decent level of sound.
I'm slightly worried that it may be the 3.5mm jack that's limiting the output as I believe the volume may be restricted on the headphone socket. If so will the Sharp soundbar suffer the same low volume level? Will the only way of getting a full output be from an optical connection?
If so how bad will the two cheaper bars be?

Thanks in advance for any help Tom

Comments

• 96.6TFM-Sean96.6TFM-Sean Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    The BUSH ( Argos's own make ) and the TESCO unit made by the same OEM. Much of a much-ness.

If you can I would go somewhere, where you can hear them. Larger Tescos have TVs set up.

You could go to Argos and get a BUSH one, if you don't like, return it under their return process and get your money back. Have listed to a cheap Bush unit and it wasn't bad
  • soup_dragonsoup_dragon Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    The BUSH ( Argos's own make ) and the TESCO unit made by the same OEM. Much of a much-ness.

If you can I would go somewhere, where you can hear them. Larger Tescos have TVs set up.

You could go to Argos and get a BUSH one, if you don't like, return it under their return process and get your money back. Have listed to a cheap Bush unit and it wasn't bad

Ah, so the bush isn't that bad eh? Good to know :)
    How about the volume levels when connected through a restricted headphone socket? I'd go straight for the sharp if I knew it'd be loud enough but there's no optical on it.....
    Hang on, just re read your post. Are you saying that the sharp ( the one in tesco ) is made by the same company as the bush?

Cheers Tom
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, so the bush isn't that bad eh? Good to know :)
    How about the volume levels when connected through a restricted headphone socket? I'd go straight for the sharp if I knew it'd be loud enough but there's no optical on it.....
    Hang on, just re read your post. Are you saying that the sharp ( the one in tesco ) is made by the same company as the bush?

Cheers Tom
    To save typing the same thing twice :)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=63324050&postcount=8