Options

New iPads - 22nd of October

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    On that subject of screens, technical reviews have the one on new Air as middling quality.

That probably means it is beaten by both the high quality Kindle HDX and Nexus 7 screens. The Mini should no doubt follow suit.

Really?
    Anandtech wrote:
    Overall the display remains the best you can get at this size.

Color accuracy... more accurate than any other tablet I’ve ever tested
    The difference between an 264 PPI screen and a 300 PPI screen is largely academic.

Text and Retina-optimized apps, icons, and images are all nice and sharp

Those sound pretty good to me form two sites that do very in depth reviews.

Also you have no way of knowing what the screen of the new Mini will be like, no one does.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Overall the display remains the best you can get at this size."
    The Nexus 7 and HDX are obviously not that size. Ars was being basically nice.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57610812-94/ipad-air-topped-by-kindle-fire-hdx-in-display-quality-test/
    "The Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 significantly outperformed "the iPad Air in brightness, screen reflectance, and high ambient light contrast, plus a first-place finish in the very challenging category of absolute color accuracy," DisplayMate continued."
    "The Air uses an IGZO Metal Oxide LCD "

Now I'm confused. Has the Air only one screen supplier then? What of the Samsung and LG AIr screens. Do they exist?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK,

thinking about it, with LG and Samsung having the main contract, just maybe they got Sharp to restart producing screens again, and moved LG and Samsung production fully over to the Mini.
    That may mean the Mini is higher quality.

Its a funny old business comparing screens when there are as many as 3 different versions in the same gadget.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On that subject of screens, technical reviews have the one on new Air as middling quality.

That probably means it is beaten by both the high quality Kindle HDX and Nexus 7 screens. The Mini should no doubt follow suit.

I was using an Air for a couple of hours today. The screen is no different from the previous Retina iPad in brightness, colour, sharpness or viewing angles as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've followed more than a fair few reviews that do that.

BTW those 'production problems' surfaced in July, just after the Nexus 7 got so highly acclaimed acclaimed.
    The Telegraph even told us it would likely be unveiled on 22nd October but might not be rolled out until after xmas.

An orchestrated leak with production problems being the lateness of the design change. I think it was also then that the WSJ who said 'Apple have been known to incorporate late design changes'.

Anyway, it does Apple little harm to have some clamour for the goods. They might even sell a few more of the bigger indoor tablets that way.

I think it was last December that I read the next iPad mini would have a retina display. I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make.:confused:
  • Options
    12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    I had a quick play with the new Air on Saturday. My plan HAD been to perhaps go to a mini this time - but I am being drawn back towards the Air as it is so much lighter than my current 3rd generation! Unless people need to move it around a lot (commuting etc.) the extra screen size also looks worthwhile.

Yes, the screen size is ideal for those who perhaps don't use their tablet has much in terms of moving around a lot etc.

I'll wait until the iPad Mini appears in store, then I'll go from there.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    I've got no business in this thread but here I am. Give me the strength to resist! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    ... The screen is no different from the previous Retina iPad in brightness, colour, sharpness or viewing angles as far as I can tell.
    Yes, the 'quality pitch' is somewhat overrate with even the likes of the Hudl screen being decent these days.

The Air screen I link tested was a Sharp one. Maybe Displaymate will show up the distinct differences via its older comparisons.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the 'quality pitch' is somewhat overrate with even the likes of the Hudl screen being decent these days.

The Air screen I link tested was a Sharp one. Maybe Displaymate will show up the distinct differences via its older comparisons.

I was just pointing out that while I don't have all the fancy equipment and testing lab that Displaymate do, the new IGZO screen didn't appear noticeably inferior compared to the previous version. Sure it's lower powered, thinner and apparently less backlight LEDs so obviously it cannot be identical. I haven't yet had a play with Fire HDX but by all accounts that screen is amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I semi think the word Izgo is overused.

I once read that IGZO were transflective screens like Pixel Qi ones.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is probably as detailed an analysis / comparison as you're likely to find:

tablet comparison review
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows how much better then HDX is, especially outside. So much for 'cutting edge' IGZO

The Nexus whilst OK did have 30% extra pixels like the HDX.
    I know they are big screens but it would have made more sense to use the newer Nexus 7 screen.

All those commendations hint that the Nexus 7 matches the HDX for screen quality. (not pixels)
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I have some tips please, being someone who has never bought an Apple product as soon as it has come out before.

Shall I go to an apple store on the day the Mini is available?

Will any online sites have them to buy on the day of purchase, if so, which ones?

Many thanks
  • Options
    pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Can I have some tips please, being someone who has never bought an Apple product as soon as it has come out before.

Will any online sites have them to buy on the day of purchase, if so, which ones?

Many thanks
    By all accounts, the Mini is likely to have some supply issues. You can be a saddo and queue up at the shops or just get online at about 7am on the day it's out and order it on the apple store. You should get it about 3-5 days later.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »

Many thanks
    You can queue up at Apple stores, or Currys, John Lewis, Argos...

Personally, I just order online from Apple and wait 2 days. Much less hassle.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    When is the release date of the I Pad Mini going to be announced? It cant be much longer or it will be "later in November". Apparently it will be a Friday. So is it unlikely to be the 15th now? It has to be by the 29th. I am hoping to get one from Argos on release day by reserving online. Or will that be impossible to do?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    When is the release date of the I Pad Mini going to be announced? It cant be much longer or it will be "later in November". Apparently it will be a Friday. So is it unlikely to be the 15th now? It has to be by the 29th. I am hoping to get one from Argos on release day by reserving online. Or will that be impossible to do?
    If the rumoured supply problems are true, and not just a marketing trick, I would think Apple would ensure their own stores and the mobile networks are well-stocked before third-party retailers.

The best strategy is to "buy" one from the online store as soon as they're available, then if you manage to get one from the high street, just cancel the online order.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys - think I will order it from the Apple website then. :)
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    The pundits are guessing the 21st or 22nd.

I shall be ordering online from Apple ASAP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You can queue up at Apple stores, or Currys, John Lewis, Argos...Personally, I just order online from Apple and wait 2 days. Much less hassle.
    Tescos too?

The bezel on the iPad Air white certainly makes it look big.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Anyone use the cellular iPad's?

I have a EE4G contract and apparently i can share my data with another sim, think it works at around £26 a month extra?

So is there a PAYG service from another provider or a decent 30day rolling contract (SIM Only)

This would be for the new iPad Air.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    Anyone use the cellular iPad's?

I have a EE4G contract and apparently i can share my data with another sim, think it works at around £26 a month extra?

So is there a PAYG service from another provider or a decent 30day rolling contract (SIM Only)

This would be for the new iPad Air.

I have a three MiFi device which is £15 a month for 15gb which is great it is very fast. I prefer using a MiFi device than buying a cellular ipad. You can get a three MiFi device pay as you go or on a 30 rolling contract so it might be worth looking into that. The MiFi device is great it is very fast and I always get a signal.

I don't know if the MiFi device will get faster when 4g is turned on by 3 I would probably have to buy a new MiFi device to connect to the 4g signal. I would ask in the three shop about this.
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a three MiFi device which is £15 a month for 15gb which is great it is very fast. I prefer using a MiFi device than buying a cellular ipad. You can get a three MiFi device pay as you go or on a 30 rolling contract so it might be worth looking into that. The MiFi device is great it is very fast and I always get a signal.

I don't know if the MiFi device will get faster when 4g is turned on by 3 I would probably have to buy a new MiFi device to connect to the 4g signal. I would ask in the three shop about this.

Why pay 3 x £15 for Mifi if you are on three network?

Just have a one plan sim only deal that allows unlimited data as well as unlimited tethering to other devices for just £15pm then you won't need mifi nor expensive cellular tablet happy days :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    .. the new IGZO screen didn't appear noticeably inferior...
    Seems Igzo is a compromise lowering wattage compared to the older hot Retina tablet screens.

Rumour had it that Samsung was looking at switching some of its LTPS AMOLED production over to IGZO as a cost cutting measure, and maybe to improve yields.
    The Nexus 7, like the Amazon HDX uses a more expensive LTPS display so should also have a better quality screen than the Air.

For tablets LTPS is quite a new thing but seems Igzo may be the trend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/10/03/japan-display-gains-in-race-for-sharper-screens/

There we go. The Nexus 7 and the HDX screens both come from Japan Display who have moved LTPS quality displays up in size.