Help with windows 8.1

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just downloaded windows 8.1 off the windows web site, I want to put the programme on disk after I have installed the programme on the laptop I'm actually using, how can I do this?

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying you want to copy Windows 8.1 to avoid downloading it again?

Sadly, there is no official way of doing it. MS expect you to download it each time. There are 8.1 ISOs available but they don't accept the same serial numbers as 8.0. A few workarounds exist but ultimately are a bit of a hassle. Easier to download again IMHO.
  • Biggles1000Biggles1000 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    If you've still got the "Install Windows" link on your desktop, clicking on this will give you various options, including "Install by creating media". This will give the options to create an .iso file or USB flash drive. You can run this link and create both types, if needed.
  • soup_dragonsoup_dragon Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I've used Macrium Reflect, free version, to back up the entire hard drive ( inc O/S ) to a single image file. If things go pear shaped you just boot from a cd that you create from within the software then point the software to the location of your back up. Can be on an external drive or another partition of the same hard drive. 20 mins or so later your system is restored to the time when you created your back up.
    It works well and has saved me a lot of work over the years :)

Cheers Tom