Should Kylie Minogue use less disco and more electro house?

RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking, with the way the music is changing today, people are not really into Disco anymore aren't they? Well, you never see Disco in the charts anymore.

I saw someone write on here that in gay clubs in London, they play electro house or funky house apparently. Kylie has a huge gay following, and the charts today are full of songs played in nightclubs today, so why not had some electro house into at least the lead singles of albums. It shouldn't be full of it in albums, as Kiss Me Once was number two and the balance of variety of genres was good imo; I just think some songs with electro house elements should be added, and less disco. Obviously, keep the pop, dance, dance-pop genres etc.

I'm not saying the track should really be full on electro house, it can be e.g. dance with some electro house in it. J-Lo had a number one hit in 2011, and it was dance song with electro pop and electro house (On The Floor), and people (or at least did) compare J-Lo and Kylie quite a bit do/did they? Also Kylie had a track in 2000 (On A Night Like This) with some house element in it and it was No. 2.

I'm just thinking this so she can get at least one top 10 (or top 5) track again from each album, because I love Kylie.

Comments

• RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone?
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's finished as a singles artist now, too old and is never going to get radio 1 airplay. The album has bombed despite being really strong, I don't know what she can do now to revive her music career.
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna was 50 when she had a number one hit with 4 Minutes. So Kylie has a few years left I think.

Radio 1 airplay is only for younger artists? :/
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna was 50 when she had a number one hit with 4 Minutes. So Kylie has a few years left I think.

Radio 1 airplay is only for younger artists? :/

Not every youngster listens to R1 or Capital
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Get Lucky is a disco song, and was bigger than any "electro house" song last year...
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Get Lucky is a disco song, and was bigger than any "electro house" song last year...

Like I care about such a moderate talent as Kylie but doing disco would be considerably more interesting than simply chasing a style for the sake of having a hit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Like I care about such a moderate talent as Kylie but doing disco would be considerably more interesting than simply chasing a style for the sake of having a hit.

The first part of your statement is one of the most arrogant I've ever heard on these forums. So personal and lacking in any knowledge of her musical history and studio workmanship, compared to the majority of others. I suggest you work with her before dismissing an artist of such longevity with a sweeping statement like that.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Archangel wrote: »
    The first part of your statement is one of the most arrogant I've ever heard on these forums. So personal and lacking in any knowledge of her musical history and studio workmanship, compared to the majority of others. I suggest you work with her before dismissing an artist of such longevity with a sweeping statement like that.

This is not an appreciation thread and I don't have to appreciate Kylie Minogue.
    I see her as a moderate singing and artistic talent at best who has outperformed her abilities in terms of sales and global success. You may see her as something else.

However, the thread suggests that this artist should adopt a style of music just to have a big hit. Well for me that is completely at odds with the idea of artistic integrity. Like having hits is more important than producing good music. Just pointing out the contradiction in a pointed way.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I was thinking more of a fusion between acid house and the waltz
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She already did electro in X. If she does it again, not only is she repeating herself, but she's also highlighting that the days where she was ahead of the pack are long gone. In any case, her latest album is full of electro shite.

Regarding the gay clubs in London, although they're currently doing electro house and funky house, one of the big criticisms of recent years has been the lack of musical variety - they've been doing funky house since at least 2001, and electro since at least 2007, so like Kylie herself, the days of the big gay clubs breaking the new dance music before the mainstream gets it are long gone (at least in London).

If she wants to do something different, she should either take a dance style that literally no-one else is doing, or mix different styles together to create something new. However, she'll need better songs than the crap on Kiss Me Once.