Philips DTR1500 gone bad

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I returned from holiday on Monday and the digital reception went haywire, leaping form channel to channel.

Eventually, with no control over the reception and the Phillips box seemingly on the blink, I resorted to a virgin reset. I'd tried one of these before and it seemed more luck than careful application of the manual guidance that restored my reception previously.

This time around, and I'm locked into the blinking red LED cycle described above with the box seemingly unwilling to recognise the 9-9-0-0 code .

I followed the thread here and the one reported on the radio and telly forum.

My box was purchased in December 2003 (the Hungarian variety). I've emailed Phillips politely asking for guidance to rectify in the light of the complaints they have so far received and the position I am now in (with no apparent means to use the equipment I purchased, and no satisfactory means to obtain repair or restitution).

If I don't receive satisfaction, I will point out the amount of money I have invested in Phillips audio visual components, and willingly report the matter to the BBC Watchdog site.

From what has been stated above, I sincerely hope Phillips has acknowledged that an issue exists, and is at least willing to act in their customers interests given that the equipment they manufacture does not now perform as described. The loss of goodwill, future revenue and corporate reputation should be something they value.

Their brand statement suggests that they are driven by 'sense and simplicity'. It makes overwhelming sense for them to protect their brand and simply provide a solution that puts their customers in the position they were before the equipment failure left them without digital reception.

(And thanks for the address details, WWWlf. Here's hoping for a supportive outcome)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently put my own DTR1500 back into virgin mode following the instruction book sequence when it downloaded the channels in the new set up ...however today going through the same procedure with my neighbour's DTR1500 ( software v 32 01/01/2001)...at the 9900 stage the leds just stayed resolutely at one constant red LED and the other flashing red LED...

Oh dear - jiggered my neighbour's box!...tried the 9900 and the same thing again....so pressed the red on/off button top right on the remote - all the reds go to single amber - then pressed Channel button 1 to start the box and Lo' it did -green LED - and went straight to the virgin set up screen - downloaded channels and all was well..all the channels there with their new numbers ready to go into the Fav lists.

So if it will not go to the green LED after 9900..put it into standby and then with a channel selected get a green LED and it should be in virgin mode and download the new Freeview channel numbering etc.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Many thanks WWWlf! I will let you know what happens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I have rung philips twice on thecomplaints number given & have emailed them twice also. I have had NO reply at all. Over the last 2 weeks i have lost 2 set top boxes (one to the update fault) and a 3 year old 28 inch TV of theirs has gone kaput also!
    I shall not be bothering Philips any more. Their reputation is now in the skip along with their overpriced, unreliable equipment.
    I have kept the fauly DTR1500 as garage doorstop and as a reminder to slap myselp in the face if I ever catch myself looking at anything with a Philips badge on it again. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I have followed all the message threads about this unfortunate matter since the problems began. Like so many others my Hungarian built box died after the channel renumbering. Following the very useful in this forum, I phoned the number in Kingston provided. Nioce letter from Cheryl Singh followed together with prepaid postage to send to Philips Guildford Service Centre, which is where it is now. E Mail through web site absolutely useless. Promised reply within 2 days just doesn't happen. Eventually got a reply this morning saying how sorry etc. but here is a ref no. and when was the receiver purchased. They are obviously completely unaware that they now have the receiver in Guildford.

I have since bought the new Humax PVR 9200T - What a beautiful machine! Superb picture, quick text, brilliant features and great recording. A few hard earned bucks but well worth a look! Will keep you all posted if we get a result from Philips! :)
    Forum Member
    I have tried ringing 01483 293367, but all I have had so far is a recorded message from Vicky Norman. Is this the number that you rang on WWWlf?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Dear 1500 Owners,

This is a request for all knowledgeable hackers or experts out there, to please list below their method of reseting a Philips DTR 1500 (DTR-1500).

There seems to be many disjointed and differing "best methods" out there, and it may be wise for a single list for I, and other, DTR 1500 users to try when we get a "locked" or "reset" box. A single list will mean that all of the methods are in one place and can be attempted in sequential order so a DTR 1500 can hopefully be recovered. This nonsense of the box locking up will continue always, as long as channels change and that this box is in use.

All the best, and thanks for the help.

FB.
  • jlgroomjlgroom Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    fatterbob wrote:
    Dear 1500 Owners,
    This is a request for all knowledgeable hackers or experts out there, to please list below their method of reseting a Philips DTR 1500 (DTR-1500).

To reset the DTR 1500 back to factory settings:
    • Disconnect receiver from the mains.
    • Hold the "+" button in on the receiver while reconnecting the power.
    • The orange LED will blink and the red LED remains on.
    • Wait for ten seconds then release the "+" button when the red LED goes out.
    • Briefly press the "+" button again.
    • Enter 9900 with the remote control.
    • The LED should turn green for a second.
    • Wait until the receiver powers up (this takes around a minute).
    • It will now do a full channel scan.
    If it doesn't work you can also try rebooting the receiver by holding in the low power button for ten seconds.

John.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    In response to HandyAndy...

Yes it was Vicky Norman's number. When I first rang she was on the phone (so I got voice mail). Then I rang near 5pm and no-one answers (so I got voice mail).

I then tried 9:30 the following day and she picked up the phone. Got my letter something like 4 days after.

Finally got round to sending my box off on Saturday (5/11). Will let you know what happens.
    Forum Member
    Just found this thread regarding the 1500. I bought one for my father earlier this year, as I thought that this was the 'easiest to use' Freeview unit for him. He slowly got used to it, but a couple of weeks ago rang to tell me that he had screwed something up. I saw him at the weekend, and tried all the reset options but to no avail. All we had were the blinking red lights, and the intermittant red/orange. I might try the telephone number myself tomorrow. It's a poor show from Philips not to come clean with this. Oh, and this unit was made in Hungary. I will be checking back to see what progress, if any, has been made. I actually have a HUMAX FOX T. This just occasionally looses the INFO, and TEXT options. Have to switch off and on again..... Are there any 100% perfect units?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I have rung this number 8 times today still a voicemail. Soooo soo annoyed I feel like taking a sledge hammer to this box!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    fatterbob wrote:
    Dear 1500 Owners,

There seems to be many disjointed and differing "best methods" out there, and it may be wise for a single list for I, and other, DTR 1500 users to try when we get a "locked" or "reset" box. A single list will mean that all of the methods are in one place and can be attempted in sequential order so a DTR 1500 can hopefully be recovered. This nonsense of the box locking up will continue always, as long as channels change and that this box is in use.

All the best, and thanks for the help.

FB.

The easiest way I have found is

Turn off the box at the wall.
    Whilst you switch the socket on tap + until both red lights appear(about 5 seconds).
    Enter 9900 and wait about 20 - 30 seconds
    The welcome screen appears.
    Forum Member
    I eventually managed to get through to Vicky Norman today. The resulting conversation did not help my sence of woe in this matter when she told me that I had come through to the wron number and that they were no longer dealing with that problem there, but to ring 09061010016. Mmmmm, that'll be the usual 15 per min help line then. God forbid that anyone with a problem was managing to get through on a standard telephone line and not being charged for the 'privelege'of owning one of the dearest doorstops in the world. I asked what action was being taken on the problem and was told that they hadn't decided what to do yet. wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. Perhaps best to bite the bullet and steer clear of the Philips badge in the future. They appear to be being slated for faulty everything from ketles to large screen TV's at the moment. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Just rang up Trading Standards who are going to investigate this! I will take them to court it need be. I sooo hate Philips!
    Forum Member
    Great News for all (I hope)!

Sent the errant box to Philips last week (Hungarian variety) and got a phone call from Customer Services 1 hour ago to say that box had been repaired free of charge and would be dispatched to home address asap. Haven't given Philips any details of when or where it was purchased, but hopefully all will now be well.

Any problems with box when installing - I will let the group know in my next thread! Best of luck to all!
    Forum Member
    I got a similar phone call to tyrefair yesterday. Expect mine will arrive soon BUT my guess is they have simply re-installed the firmware so there is no guarantee this wont happen again!
    Forum Member
    Just received a reply, (days late of course). Offering to fix the box via the retailer as long as it is "within the one-year guarantee period" I don’t think the understand that the purchaser rights go beyond this period. If they refuse to co-operate any further, then I think a roll-call of names would be a good idea and contact the company jointly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi
    I had a DTR1500 2 years 6 month old with 2002 software.
    I got the red light problem on 29.Oct, so sent it to philips on 01 Nov by guaranteed next day delivery (royal mail) with a letter asking them to reset it or explain the hardware failure.
    Recieved it back today 15.Nov fixed with APRIL 05 software. :D
    No covering letter nothing, in fact it was in the same packaging I sent it to them in.
    So dont bin them.....if £20 is to much for g/teed delivery try simply recorded it may be under £3.
    Incidentally I have a perk at work for free mailings. ;)
    Address I sent to was
    Philips Consumer Electronics
    Philips Centre
    Guildford Business Park
    Guildford
    Surrey
    GU2 8XH

Nowt too lose !
    John
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem as reported here - STB locked after channel reshuffle with flashing red lights. All manner of virgin reset attempted with no effect. I stumbled upon this forum whilst researching a replacement, but decided to persue a replacement from my retailer when I realised it was not an isolated problem. The retailer initaily said they would do nothing as it was purchased in March 2004. Their customer service dept said similar. I contacted Phillips with the same useless response as reported by others earlier in this forum. I then reapproached the retailer explaining politely that as it seemed to be a software fault it must have been faulty when they sold it to me, and they agreed to repair it. Two weeks later I got the box back as good as new.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Some questions for the last two posters please :-

Do both your new software versions say April 05 for the date?And is the software version 0044? Philips are scheduled to broadcast an OTA upgrade to v44 next week (see other thread on this forum).

Have you noticed any differences in the operation of the box with the new software? There has been some speculation that the 8 day EPG might be in there somewhere! Personally I would prefer it if they had implemented a Store (ie replace all) Channels function (as well as Add Channels) as it would save on the need to enter Virgin reset mode when LCNs change. The previous Philips DTX6371 box had this function and I understand the later DTR500 also has it.

Many thanks if you can help.
    Forum Member
    My replacement box has V32 software. I have turned off software update until I see what people think about it (via this forum I hope). The only annoying problem I have is the loosing of favouirites when BBCi is selected. Mind you a 7 day EPG would be nice :rolleyes:
    Cheers
    Forum Member
    Finally got my DTR1500 back yesterday. Its got v44 on it (the one that is being broadcast shortly). I couldnt spot any difference in options so I guess its just a bug fix.

BUT I've plugged it into to another tv (a 16 year old Sony 4:3) as I had already replaced the dtr1500 with a Humax when I Philips originally told me they could/would do nothing and the remote control signals of the tv and dtr clash!

Does anyone know if its poss to change the remote control frequencies on the dtr1500?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    I had to change the remote control frequency on one of my two DTR1500s so I could operate them independently.

The procedure is described on p31 of the manual (section 10.2). It's a two part thing - change the handset code which is easy, then change the box which is rather like a virgin mode reset - ie fiddly.

If you don't have the paper manual you can download a pdf file from the Philips Website at :-

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?sct=DIGITAL_SET_TOP_BOX_SU&cat=DIGITAL_TV_CA&grp=TV_GR&scy=GB&ctn=DTR1500/05&slg=ENG&mid=Link_UserManuals&hlt=Link_UserManuals
    Forum Member
    Logged on to http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl and saw that there was a schedule download for the DTR1500 to version 44 beginning today (21/11/05) at 10:00 and finishing on the 25/11 at 09:00. I turned my DTR1500 on again on Friday connected to an ariel, and left it runing . Just checked it this morning and the red flashing light has stopped, and now showing steady green. I will connect it to a TV this afternoon, and see what happens.
    Forum Member
    Mine updated this morning and seems to be working fine again :)