I'm selling my Laptop....but how do I COMPLETELY wipe EVERYTHING off it?!

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm selling my laptop on eBay, but I want to completely wipe everything off it, as I don't want to end up being a victim of identity theft or anything like that lol. I want to basically wipe the whole laptop clean and revert it back to the state it was in when I first bought it. Any tips?

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A microwave oven?
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    just format the drive but choose to write 1s or 0s over the data (takes a while)- quickest format i think still keeps the data on there.

osx - utilities - disc utility select mac hdd, erase, then choose ur erase method
  • agentzagentz Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a Windows laptop I'd go for DBAN'ing it (Darik's Boot and Nuke) which is a free download boot CD that has a number of wipe options and is (reputedly) very secure. Blitz the drive and reinstall Windows if you feel generous.

Just google DBAN - it's the first thing that comes up.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get some ideas from this thread:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=491304
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the computer charities use Blancco software.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    just format the drive but choose to write 1s or 0s over the data (takes a while)- quickest format i think still keeps the data on there.

osx - utilities - disc utility select mac hdd, erase, then choose ur erase method

Why would he be crazy enough to sell a mac!? ;):D
  • mollymoralsmollymorals Posts: 13,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would he be crazy enough to sell a mac!? ;):D

ive never actually dared to ask what the difference is :o
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »

I get the feeling this is a rather tongue in cheek answer...

Good luck Windows users.

:D

Indeed, who sells their shiny Mac laptop!?
  • DEmmersonDEmmerson Posts: 1,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Install Spybot search and destroy and use it's function of deleting files so they can't be recovered. Then use your installation disk to re-install Windows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agentz wrote: »
    If it's a Windows laptop I'd go for DBAN'ing it (Darik's Boot and Nuke) which is a free download boot CD that has a number of wipe options and is (reputedly) very secure. Blitz the drive and reinstall Windows if you feel generous.

Just google DBAN - it's the first thing that comes up.

Here, I've done it for you. This is supposed to be an excellent tool, though I've never used it myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Yep dban all the way..