ITV1's Titanic discussion thread

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anybody yet explained why ITV thought it was necessary to make yet another version of Titanic without actually coming up with anything new ?
  • shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the something new was the changing perspecitives which we haven't seen in action yet that will wait until episode 2 so I will see then if it actually works.
  • DrPLDrPL Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    The "something news" was to tell everyone that it was accurate, diss a competitors' version (Cameron's) ... and then come up with a version that historically and dramatically execrable. Obviously the allure of "an accurate" depiction was a lie to bring viewers in.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far the majority of what I liked in the trailers has not been seen, so I'll still be here on Sunday :p If not just for Miss Coleman.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Has anybody yet explained why ITV thought it was necessary to make yet another version of Titanic without actually coming up with anything new ?
    they made the presumption that anything with Julian Fellowes name attached would be a surefire winner. I guess he didn't have time to come up with anything original being involved in Downton, so he did Titanic. I think it's been disastrous for both JF and ITV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackboy18 wrote: »
    There is much more that could be done with the Titanic story. For instance, I am seriously contemplating writing a fictional script where Jack the Ripper has been arrested in 1889 for a crime unrelated to the murders he committed. Unaware that he was responsible for the Whitechapel murders, the authorities release at the end of his sentence in 1912. Wanting to flee to America to escape the eye of the law, The Ripper boards the Titanic. However, his appetite for murdering has not dimished. He finds himself in the perfect position to end more lives and get away with; in the middle of the ocean and amidst the chaos of Titanic sinking...

like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I seeing things or is there really a documentary on tomorrow night about the Titanic, hosted by Len Goodman?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they made the presumption that anything with Julian Fellowes name attached would be a surefire winner. I guess he didn't have time to come up with anything original being involved in Downton, so he did Titanic. I think it's been disastrous for both JF and ITV

I wouln't be so sure I am hearing while episode one went down as: What the hell?? in Canada, that episode 2 received a significantly better response yesterday.
    Am I seeing things or is there really a documentary on tomorrow night about the Titanic, hosted by Len Goodman?

Yes prepare to be Titaniced out.
  • storminmikestorminmike Posts: 46,916
    Forum Member
    So whilst everyone is nitpicking ...why not throw tomatoes at the greatest load of ftitanic cobblers ever. Cameron's film had errors....but it was a film and was near enough for the film genre for me.

Raise the titanic 1980....now that's worthy of more nitpicking than "the stairs din't go this or that way"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081400/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Len - cockney geezer/cheeky chappie - Goodman? Why?
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Len - cockney geezer/cheeky chappie - Goodman? Why?

Because he worked in Harland & Wolfes and has TV experience.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    shya100 wrote: »
    So has any popular 'story', do we need four hundred versions of Jane Eyre no there are plenty of other brilliant books. It's what people like.

Anyway I wish this show had been shown consecutively anyway we will see what happens in the end.
    I shouldn't spoil your fun but..the ship sinks!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I shouldn't spoil your fun but..the ship sinks!! :D

It doesn't????? Never

I kind of meant when all the episodes have been seen we can make a better judgement on how good or bad the series is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we really pulled the short straw when it came to which characters to focus on in episode one...

Those saying there was no urgency, I'm sure we will see more of it when it comes to following those trapped on the lower decks as opposed to boarding lifeboats listening to the band play at a time when it didn't seem so serious to those on the boat deck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Because he worked in Harland & Wolfes and has TV experience.

I didn't think he was that old!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are obviously running scared now because one of the actors has just been on Loose Women virtually begging people to keep watching
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    They are obviously running scared now because one of the actors has just been on Loose Women virtually begging people to keep watching

Who? Did they admit they were getting poor reviews?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who? Did they admit they were getting poor reviews?

I couldn't tell you, I didn't recognise the actor, I caught the tail end as it were but he said you had to see all of the episodes to get the whole picture so in a way IMO that was admitting they know the reviews are bad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although technically true (from what I've seen of episode two), as that's the whole point of this nonsense format.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am looking forward to seeing if they will show more hats.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got around to watching it last night and really didn't like it at all.

The programme that I believe should be made is after the disaster. What happened to the survivors and the people who were left behind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »

Probably. Floating on the top of the ocean as the ship sinks, hopefully taking everybody connected with this ludicrous production with it.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Talking of Nazis, the loss of life in the Titanic sinking was less than 20% of that with the torpedoing of the Willheim Gustloff, in January 1945, when it's estimated over 9,000 perished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff

Yes, the Wilhelm Gustloff is almost entirely unknown, despite being the worst maritime disaster in history.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »

Maybe they can jump in them and use them as extra lifeboats.

Interested to see what the ratings will be, especially when most ITV chat shows have been proudly boasting about the 7mil who started watching.