IPAD......... or whatever!!!!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I looking for a tablet/ipad that will let me generally use the internet (maybe email) I have a laptop and I am just looking for an alternative that I can use in the bedroom, I am willing to pay too much for it max of £200, is there one on the market that will be good for me, I also want a usb hub so I can watch some media files, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Asus/Google Nexus 7 is the obvious alternative and has been discussed at great length in other threads. It's got a 7 inch screen and it runs Android so it has a different set of apps to the iPad if that matters to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    . It's got a 7 inch screen and it runs Android so it has a different set of apps to the iPad if that matters to you.

NO its not important if its an IPAD or something similar, I have had a wee look on YOU TUBE and it seems it what I am looking for, but does it have a USB port and can I watch various movie files ie avi/wmv/vob files, thanks a lot for replying
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's the Blackberry Playbook 64GB for £129 at PC World. Excellent for web browsing but if you want apps go for the Nexus 7 as the Playbook requires you to sideload Android apps which you may/may not be able to do (this is because the Blackberry App World is limited).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    There's the Blackberry Playbook 64GB for £129 at PC World. Excellent for web browsing but if you want apps go for the Nexus 7 as the Playbook requires you to sideload Android apps which you may/may not be able to do (this is because the Blackberry App World is limited).

I actually had a look at that and was a bit interested but it felt a bit "MEH!!!!" and did not think it was very good thanks for advice on this MR C, ok back to my other question does the Nexus 7 have a USB port so I can play files from my portable drives/pen drives
  • TrevorFowlerTrevorFowler Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    baldbilluk wrote: »
    I actually had a look at that and was a bit interested but it felt a bit "MEH!!!!" and did not think it was very good thanks for advice on this MR C, ok back to my other question does the Nexus 7 have a USB port so I can play files from my portable drives/pen drives

You might be better off with a netbook. There might be refurbished ones within your price range. There is also eBay of course.

The problem with tablets and USB connection to hard drives etc is that they will run the battery down. Tablets are normally designed to run for several hours away from an external power source and as a result processor speed, graphics card, full USB connection will have been sacrificed.

The Playbook is a very good machine for the money and the lack of apps is about the only downside. Do you have a more reasoned objection to it?

Edit: I've just looked at the Nexus 7 on the PC World/Currys website. One of the reviews mentions being able to use memory sticks once the device is rooted. Would you want to go down that route?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but does it have a USB port and can I watch various movie files ie avi/wmv/vob files, thanks a lot for replying

yes to both... Recommended.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the reviews mentions being able to use memory sticks once the device is rooted. Would you want to go down that route?

No need for root to use memory sticks. I use a card reader with the right USB cable to transfer photos straight from my camera to it.

app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might be better off with a netbook. There might be refurbished ones within your price range. There is also eBay of course.

The problem with tablets and USB connection to hard drives etc is that they will run the battery down. Tablets are normally designed to run for several hours away from an external power source and as a result processor speed, graphics card, full USB connection will have been sacrificed.

The Playbook is a very good machine for the money and the lack of apps is about the only downside. Do you have a more reasoned objection to it?

Edit: I've just looked at the Nexus 7 on the PC World/Currys website. One of the reviews mentions being able to use memory sticks once the device is rooted. Would you want to go down that route?

I have a notebook and I just felt that I wanted a "quicker" tablet that was more portable also for using in the bedroom it will be plugged in at all times, its only when I am using it in the home (where the usb will not be used) that it will be disconnected, You mentioned "rooted" in your post, can I ask what that mean? I have noticed that you have to buy a special adaptor but that is cheap but I am unsure if "rooting" is something else?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mentioned "rooted" in your post, can I ask what that means?
    There's a full description of it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_%28Android_OS%29
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    ASUS Transformer series based on the requriements.

Full USB support (on the dock) and even the ability to charge phones and other devices from the meaty secondary battery in the keyboard.

I have a Nexus 7 and a Transformer. Whilst the N7 is what I pick up for casual browsing the Transformer is a great piece of kit and is what I pack when travelling. I have the original TF101 and with jelly bean it flies ... the newer models should be even better.

Having saif that the N7 is great too. very quick and very 'convenient size'.

A lot depends on which form factor you want.
    Forum Member
    I have a notebook and I just felt that I wanted a "quicker" tablet that was more portable also for using in the bedroom it will be plugged in at all times, its only when I am using it in the home (where the usb will not be used) that it will be disconnected, You mentioned "rooted" in your post, can I ask what that mean? I have noticed that you have to buy a special adaptor but that is cheap but I am unsure if "rooting" is something else?

The link to what "rooting" is has been provided and I cannot improve on the description given.

I have a Playbook and it has a micro USB port for charging and syncing with the PC. I cannot connect a stick or hard drive and expect it to play. Even if the device could play videos from a portable USB drive or memory stick (rooted or not), it would have to use the power from the internal battery and you may find that the battery will run down too quickly for you to get much useful service between charges.

At worst, the power draw from the USB drive may burn out the electronics and you'll be left with a nice little board on which to chop the onions!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The link to what "rooting" is has been provided and I cannot improve on the description given.

I have a Playbook and it has a micro USB port for charging and syncing with the PC. I cannot connect a stick or hard drive and expect it to play. Even if the device could play videos from a portable USB drive or memory stick (rooted or not), it would have to use the power from the internal battery and you may find that the battery will run down too quickly for you to get much useful service between charges.

At worst, the power draw from the USB drive may burn out the electronics and you'll be left with a nice little board on which to chop the onions!

I think I am going to have too re-assess what I want to buy, you have all given me foood for thought (I am not going to pay between £130-£200 for a chopping board I might just buy and use as a general support computer, does the Playbook and also the N7 have email suppot from my Virgin media account as its more important to me than viewing videos etx
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    The samsung galaxy tab2 is what i have its excellent smooth browseing

No usb port though but
    It takes mSD cards upto32 gb limit and connects to pc for transfering tv movies music

You can get 7inch or 10inch one

No hdmi out if thats important to you
    http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5088735/Trail/searchtext%3ESAMSUNG+GALAXY+TAB+2.htm

7inch 8gb wifi only model is 200

I was torn between this or the asus t300 in the end i went with samsung because alot of reviews said browsing is alot better on galaxy tab 2
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    In all honesty if you want a device to play media files and that's about it, the Playbook 64gig would be the best option. That's a lot of storage space for the money.

The Playbook also has a separate HDMI output and you can get an adaptor for about £12 off Amazon that allows you to plug it into a VGA input.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am getting a Kindle Fire HD. Basically now you are buying "ecosystem". I would avoid the Playbook. It is good value but longer term the outlook doesnt look good. Its a straight fight between Google, Amazon and Apple. Apple ware rumoured to announce their IPad mini on the 17th if you can eait that long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one2escape wrote: »
    It's a straight fight between Google, Amazon and Apple.
    Plus I suppose in theory Microsoft with Win8 RT and the Surface tablets - or can we discount them as effectively dead and buried already?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Plus I suppose in theory Microsoft with Win8 RT and the Surface tablets - or can we discount them as effectively dead and buried already?

don't think you can discount them, but its a tad more of a gamble.

I think unless you're already heavily invested in Kindle/Amazon products, Android is a much safer bet than Amazon. Any content developed for either should run on both, but developers tend to submit their stuff to the Android app store more often than the Amazon app store; and whilst its possible to run apps obtained from outside the stores, its a bit of a faff.
    Forum Member
    I think I am going to have too re-assess what I want to buy, you have all given me foood for thought (I am not going to pay between £130-£200 for a chopping board I might just buy and use as a general support computer, does the Playbook and also the N7 have email suppot from my Virgin media account as its more important to me than viewing videos etx

The Playbook does have email support, though incredibly for a Blackberry it was not available AFAIK in the first release of the Playbook operating system. Reviews of the device prior to around February this year will reflect this.

I've found this Youtube video about setting up email on the Playbook.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6ONAD3E0w

Until the playbook became available with the 64GB model priced at £129, I wasn't even looking for a tablet. I had a go with one in the shop just to make sure that web pages could display properly on a 7" screen and that embedded video played (eg from the BBC News website) which they did.

If you're considering a Kindle Fire, from what I've read, the version of Android is heavily biased towards Amazon apps and content rather than other sources - even your own.

No piece of electronic hardware is a lifetime commitment and regardless of the future of the playbook (and RIM who make it), I am happy that I have a device that is less than a quarter of the price of the equivalent iPad.

Another factor to consider is the screen size - basically between 7" and 10". The ergonomics of both of these are quite different. A 10" screen will give a nice big picture of course, but the virtual keyboard demands a flat surface if you are going to use both hands for typing. With a 7" device the keyboard is available to both thumbs while being held in any position.

My guess is that the IPad mini (if it materialises) will be outside your price bracket (compare the prices and screen size of the iPod Touch and iPad) and of course will most likely use their proprietry connector let alone limited USB connectivity. Apple have never done removeable storage (or batteries) on their mobile devices and I don't expect them to start anytime soon.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do many people hook tablets up to TVs. i would have thought there were better solutions for watching TV.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »

No usb port though but
    It takes mSD cards upto32 gb limit and connects to pc for transfering tv movies music

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5088735/Trail/searchtext%3ESAMSUNG+GALAXY+TAB+2.htm

I was torn between this or the asus t300 in the end i went with samsung because alot of reviews said browsing is alot better on galaxy tab 2

You can get an adapter that allows you to conect a usb and sd card to the tab.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »

No usb port though but

I have found my "machine" as it were, it seems to be all that I need, but can someone clarify for me that I would be able to read my VM emails ie it can be set up to receive emails, as that is just as important as viewing movies etc, hope someone can help thanks again
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin Media have web browser access to email so you can access it from ANY computer with a browser and Internet connection :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Virgin Media have web browser access to email so you can access it from ANY computer with a browser and Internet connection :D
    Yep, I can confirm that also works with Virgin Media National over a conventional phone line on a PC, so it should be fine on any other device which can display web sites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »

I was thinking along the lines of an "email client" so I do not have to go via website, does it have a "client" ie an outlook express/express 6 or similar? or even via Hotmail
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking along the lines of an "email client" so I do not have to go via website, does it have a "client" ie an outlook express/express 6 or similar? or even via Hotmail

VM has POP & IMAP access to their email so I cannot see a problem accessing it with any email client :D