Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I so agree, to me she is Becky in period dress and an unconvincing upper class accent.

Becky is one of my favourite characters on Coronation Street. When she first appeared on the show, there wasn't much to her- she was just a chavvy friend of one of the girls who worked at the factory. The writers and Katherine Kelly evolved Becky into a girl the audience rooted for. She found acceptance, a place in the community, and formed a lasting relationship. She struggled to have a child and became a loving mother to her nephew and to Steve's daughter Amy. I joked that Becky was my style icon. She certainly was a heroine to me. I was sorry to see her leave the show. Katherine Kelly turned in an unforgettable performance in the Coronation Street Romania DVD- in her short cameo appearance, as silly as the plot was, and out of the context of the show's storylines, she made Becky funny, touching, and inspirational. I turned into Mr Selfridge just for her. I'm disappointed that the writers haven't given her much to do as Lady May except needle Mrs. Selfridge. I would like to see her explore the motivations and origins of her character. But I don't want to watch the show anymore- it does look like it's going to be very predictable and mainly focused on the love affairs of the main characters, which are pretty cliched. It's a bit much that Mrs Selfridge was picked up by an artist in the National Art Galley and agreed to go to his studio to see his paintings. Would she really fall so easily for the approach of "Come up and see my etchings"?And, apparently, as shown in the tralier for next week, he happens to be a promising artist who ends up painting her portrait? It's all too Mills and Boon.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really enjoying this series, samuel west and jeremy piven are a delight to watch!!
    looking forward to see how the story evolves..:D
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I so agree, to me she is Becky in period dress and an unconvincing upper class accent.

But, as a competent actress she can actually use, and use convincingly, different accents in different roles.

When you compare a lot of soap, and ex-soap actors whose acting skill is limited to one single 'estuary English' accent then you begin to realise that there are some talent actors and actresses out there.

Could you imagine, for instance any of the majority of the younger performers on EE convincingly portray an 'upper class' character.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could someone explain why a very rich & attractive women would have to resort to "Chasing" a shop assitant?
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Could someone explain why a very rich & attractive women would have to resort to "Chasing" a shop assitant?

Extra-marital shenanigans with a younger man :)
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some women do seem to like a bit of "rough" on the side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loving jeremy piven in the lead role:D seriously cute:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some women do seem to like a bit of "rough" on the side.

Some of us are quite happy to have on under any curcumstances...;)
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member

Because some women are fascinated by having a bit of rough, even Princess Margaret with gangster John Bindon.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But, as a competent actress she can actually use, and use convincingly, different accents in different roles.

When you compare a lot of soap, and ex-soap actors whose acting skill is limited to one single 'estuary English' accent then you begin to realise that there are some talent actors and actresses out there.

Could you imagine, for instance any of the majority of the younger performers on EE convincingly portray an 'upper class' character.

Katherine Kelly is RADA trained and been a member of the RSC. I think she is quite unlike her Corrie character where as most of the young cast members play themselves.
  • opal88opal88 Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Selfridge reminds me so much of David Guest, it's unnerving. Not only that, Catherine Kelly's performance has something of the Leonard Rossiters about it. I'll watch it but it has none of the depth or style of The Paradise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Katherine Kelly is RADA trained and been a member of the RSC. I think she is quite unlike her Corrie character where as most of the young cast members play themselves.

Which is why she is an actress.

Too often in the soaps, we see performers who, basically, 'play themselves', often giving the impression that they think they are in an end-of-term school play.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wondering if the dislike for it is just a DS thing (although I quite enjoyed it) - will be interesting to see if the ratings hold up in future weeks.

I am similarly intrigued after having just caught up with Episode 2. Good grief ... :eek:

Piven just gets worse and worse. He's like some OTT ringmaster on acid, raising his hands in every scene. Terrifyingly, he's also credited as being a producer - a typical sop to American egos that's quite common on US shows.

I'm astonished the scripts are so flimsy - although maybe I shouldn't be surprised, given that Andrew Davies is creating entirely new characters, rather than adapting works of fiction, as he's better known for doing. Agnes and her family are like some awful EastEnders story in period gear. Everything is signposted and there are no surprises.

My main concern is with the premise of the whole thing: it's clearly intended as a returning series, yet there is no tension or jeopardy beyond who is bonking who (and I don't much care about that), and the bigger question of whether or not Selfridges will be a success has no currency, because everyone knows it is.

Good comedy viewing if there's nothing else on - but I have to wonder if people will stick with it.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    s.mouse wrote: »
    Katherine Kelly is a total scene stealer! Love her in this.
    Agreed
    Scamps wrote: »
    Katherine Kelly is clearly miscast in this, her Eliza Dolittle accent is really really starting to grate on me, I like the actress but she just doesn't suit posh in my opinion
    She is not playing a woman born posh. She is playing a self made posh woman.
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Unless it's something you wouldn't watch anyway....why not watch and make your own mind up, you might like.

Good second episode but did Agnes have a very young Dad.:confused:
    I know - I thought that but then I thought maybe she was born when he was about 20 which would have happened a fair bit back then. I'm guessing she's meant to be early 20s so he could be early 40s. At first I thought he was her boyfriend come to ask for forgiveness for something!

I am not liking this NIck Moran business:(

She might need Victor to kick him out:p
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member
    I have really tried to get interested in this programme, I am a big fan of 'period drama' but it is simply not hitting the right buttons with me. I am finding it just a tad boring, unlike the Paradise which I loved. Not sure why this should be, both are stories about departmental stores. but I really got involved with the characters in the Paradise whereas in Mr Sellfidge I could not care less about any of them really.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Cowell tweeted that he loves it :D
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grey wrote: »
    I'm glad I didn't watch it at all after the above comments
    I wouldn't take a couple poster's opinions as my own, how you enjoy or dislike a programme may differ and you could be missing out.
    I reckon the difference between the two episodes is that with episode 1 there was this build up to the big event of the store opening, and in episode 2 there was a big event of having the plan in the store but no build up and therefore some people might feel that there wasn't anything in particular the episode focussed on.
    I still enjoyed it, things based on true events normally get me anyway, plus I felt this episode was more of an open door to explore the main characters some more.
    teacup333 wrote: »
    my mother used to work at Selfridge's in the 1920's and remembered Gordon Selfridge walking through each department first thing every morning & writing notes on his shirt cuffs of things that needed to be done - I noticed that he's always adjusting his shirtcuffs, so maybe it's a reference...

my mum also remembered the lift girls as being really glam, so that rings true
    Please free feel to continue to post more tales from your mum, it's interesting to get a viewpoint from someone who was actually there. Has she said anything about the likeness of Jeremy Piven to Gordon Selfridge? I just googled him and he looks very little like the man he is portraying.

I keep hearing that this is filmed in Neasden, does anyone know where in Neasden? The most I've got is 'it's a old carpet factory'; I know Neasden but can't figure out where it is!
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    opal88 wrote: »
    Mr. Selfridge reminds me so much of David Guest, it's unnerving. Not only that, Catherine Kelly's performance has something of the Leonard Rossiters about it. I'll watch it but it has none of the depth or style of The Paradise.

:D ^^ :D

Thank you! It has been bugging me for 2 weeks and that's it!

However I actually do like it. Been "forced" into watching it by my girlfriend, watch it on +1 after Ripper Street. I have got into it against my better judgement.
  • nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    I have really tried to get interested in this programme, I am a big fan of 'period drama' but it is simply not hitting the right buttons with me. I am finding it just a tad boring, unlike the Paradise which I loved. Not sure why this should be, both are stories about departmental stores. but I really got involved with the characters in the Paradise whereas in Mr Sellfidge I could not care less about any of them really.

I feel exactly the same about it - may give up on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Cowell tweeted that he loves it :D

Oh dear! That'll be the kiss of death then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im going to have to have a look at 'the paradise' ...see what the fuss is all about..:D
  • Alex250PAlex250P Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the first twenty minutes, could anybody give me a brief explanation of what has happened? Why has Agnes got a black eye?
  • s.mouses.mouse Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Alex250P wrote: »
    Missed the first twenty minutes, could anybody give me a brief explanation of what has happened? Why has Agnes got a black eye?

Her Dad hit her.
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    im going to have to have a look at 'the paradise' ...see what the fuss is all about..:D

Dude if am honest the paradise is a lot better in my opinion. The story flows a lot better and the main shop owner is a lot more likeable then mr self