Really fed up of long, spoiler filled previews before each episode of TV shows

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
Forum Member
It's mainly reality shows that the worst for this. Sometimes previews of things we are literally JUST ABOUT TO SEE ANYWAY are almost three minutes long! I know this is a tactic to make channel surfers watch but it's reached seriously annoying levels.

Does anyone else get irritated by this increasingly intrusive and out of hand method?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's mainly reality shows that the worst for this. Sometimes previews of things we are literally JUST ABOUT TO SEE ANYWAY are almost three minutes long! I know this is a tactic to make channel surfers watch but it's reached seriously annoying levels.

Does anyone else get irritated by this increasingly intrusive and out of hand method?

I can't think of any UK telly examples of this. The only current example I can think of is 'Catfish The TV Show', and I just skip past them and the credits, or if I'm watching 'live' flick the channel for 30 seconds.

I remember this happened all the time with American shows from the 60s, 70s and 80s, but honestly don't know any UK shows that do this now. Then again I barely watch UK telly, it's rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Annoys the hell out of me. I hear those words
    "Comin up next" .... I don't want to know what's coming up next. Imagine if they stopped and did that between scenes at the theatre !!
    Part of the magic of TV is not knowing whats going to happen next.
  • jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YESSSSSS

It annoys the bejeebers out of me.

Sadly in this modern age , i am blessedwith a wee bit of intelligence.

enough in fact to put all the 3 minute "Trailer" clips together and fill in the blanks meaning i do not have to watch the full movie / programme.

Ironic how counter productive they are....unless you have alzheimer's or thick.

Coming up next .." the butler did it ..."

John Inverdale is another example of someone who just cannot resist hinting at the outcome of the match he is highlighting.
    " if you love an underdog comeback you will love this match from earlier ....." WTF ??
  • johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extremely annoying.

Even a simple programme about restoring a classic car has to have a preview of everything that is done to the car during the prog. plus some extra drama added ie "will it be in budget", "will it be in time for the car show", and then we are allowed to see the actual programme.
    And before every break there is the "coming up", and after the break there is the "recap".

Is this another merkinisation of out TV? Cos if it is we don't need it, thanks.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of the reasons why I hardly watch TV any more.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all to do with "ratings desperation."

They think it will make you want to watch a programme.
    The more worldly viewer will know that the bits in the promo are the only bits worth seeing in the show. So if they don't grab you, you needn't bother with it.

Works well for me.

What really wastes a lot of time is feature programmes which include different topics.

They tell you in a "promo" at the start, all about what they're going to show you in the programme.

They show you a bit, then move onto the next bit.

Then it's "earlier we showed you" (as if you've the memory span of a goldfish) then they show you it again.

Then they show you some more.
    This is the formula for the whole show.

Without the repetitions they could halve the length of the programme.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    It's more about keeping you watching during the commercials which, of course, are very important to commercial channels.

I don't know why anyone would think they wouldn't do it seeing as number of viewers is essential to the survival of such stations.
    This is one of the reasons why I hardly watch TV any more.
    Well that's just stupid. I watch plenty of TV, but not the kind of shows that this happens on. Plus I have a Tivo anyway so can easily skip these bits ;)
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's just stupid. I watch plenty of TV, but not the kind of shows that this happens on. Plus I have a Tivo anyway so can easily skip these bits ;)

I said "one of the reasons". It's not me that's being stupid. :cool:
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    YESSSS!!

C5 BB is a BITCH!!!! for this its so bad I mute the "Coming Up" section and look away till the shows actually started BB wastes almost 3mins on a catch up of the night before>:(

then they show all the good bits in the "tonight" section which would probley mean not even bother watching the show since you seen all the best parts whats the point sticking around for 50 odd more mins:p:D
    +marcus bently voice is actually pissing me off these days so over the top and explosive f""k sake calm down its not that exciting we have been watching this for 15 years yet he sounds so OTT about it all no reason for it PHEWWWW RANT OVER:D

Dont watch any of the other rubbish at all BB is what started it all and it suits me till its over for good iv been watching since I was like 11 LOL il keep with it so:D
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Mission:Impossible and Space 1999. Both would incorporate clips from the upcoming episode in the opening credits
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more about keeping you watching during the commercials which, of course, are very important to commercial channels.

I think that was adequately covered by my point,

Don't you think people on here have the intelligence to understand that?

You could start an argument in an empty room.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear you I thought it was just me, Big Brother for me at the moment it kills the entire 15 minutes segment each time so I started pausing and watching 30 minutes later so I can skip it.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drives me bananas!

and its not just the trashy stuff on low rent channels either. A three part programme about The Crusades on BBC2 or 4 started with the whole "I'm on a journey...." spiel with snippets of stuff yet to be seen while basically giving away the plot ;).

Just start the flipping programme and state your aims as you go.
    Forum Member
    I said "one of the reasons". It's not me that's being stupid. :cool:
    Yes, and I commented on that reason? If you want to mention the others we can discuss those too :)
    eye3 wrote: »
    I used to love Mission:Impossible and Space 1999. Both would incorporate clips from the upcoming episode in the opening credits
    Proof, if it were needed, that it's a not a "new" thing and has nothing to do with "dumbing down" :)
    I think that was adequately covered by my point...
    And yet I am free to make any point I want to make; whether it be similar to someone else's or not. Just like you. It seems you really don't have a clue how forums work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and I commented on that reason? If you want to mention the others we can discuss those too :)

Proof, if it were needed, that it's a not a "new" thing and has nothing to do with "dumbing down" :)

And yet I am free to make any point I want to make; whether it be similar to someone else's or not. Just like you. It seems you really don't have a clue how forums work.

You're at it again, making pointless comments and adding nothing, as I said the first time
    As I said, you could start an argument in an empty room.

I do know how forums work and particularly " how you work," criticise other people's opinions without having an original thought of your own. You're pretty much on your own there. How sad.
    Forum Member
    You're at it again, making pointless comments...
    And you're at it again with your arrogance in dismissing someone else's comment and opinions as "pointless".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you're at it again with your arrogance in dismissing someone else's comment and opinions as "pointless".

In that instance, yours was. That's why I said so.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annoys me too, I tend to record things a lot so I can fast forward it or if say it starts at 8pm I'll tune in at 8.02PM.

The previews at the start almost makes it pointless to watch the rest of the show.
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Annoys me too, I tend to record things a lot so I can fast forward it or if say it starts at 8pm I'll tune in at 8.02PM.
    That's what I have done with all my TV watching since 2002 ;) I'll start watching something at around 20-past to miss out all the ads :D
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it VERY annoying..OK so we understand they want to do anything to keep people watching but at the very least they could make the "coming up" bits BRIEF!..and not give away EVERYTHING
    The Big Reunion was a bad one for it..the show is nearly an hour with adverts of course - I edited out all the "coming ups" and got each episode down to 41 minutes
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is perfectly addressed in this Mitchell and Webb sketch.....

The Gift Shop Sketch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always shout at the tv back who bloody cares. Its a soap for christ sake not real life.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »

I used to judge the quality of the episode I was about to see by the number of shots of Eagles and explosions when I was 13.
    Forum Member
    I always shout at the tv back who bloody cares. Its a soap for christ sake not real life.
    New viewers who don't know what's happening, for one :)
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without the repetitions they could halve the length of the programme.

Which is one of the main reasons that they do it - money, and cutting production costs. Yes, they're interested in catching channel hoppers and keeping people watching through the commercial breaks, but they're just as interested in cheaply producing what's supposed to pass as an hour-long programme from half an hour's worth of material. 'Extra' content, for none of the effort or expense. We could produce allegedly meatier forum posts in the same way, but most of us are bright enough to realise how irritating it would be to everyone and how daft it would look and so don't do it because there's no money in it for us anyway.

And as you just read a mili-second ago, this is one of the main reasons that they do it - money, and cutting production costs. Yes, they're interested in catching channel hoppers and keeping people watching... ;)