Options

80's sitcom No Place Like Home on the Drama channel from Monday 12th Jan

gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know how many of you remember this BBC sitcom from the 80's?.The Drama channel is showing the sitcom from the beginning starting from tomorrow.Looking at the schedule it's on 1pm & repeated at 6pm.

Comments

• Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it well. Used to watch it as a kid. Martin Clunes was one of the sons as I recall.:) Thanks for the heads up!.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You right about Martin Clunes being in it.I had no idea he was in it until i saw the ad for it earlier.I remember this sitcom from back in the day but i never watched it.I'll maybe record the 1st episode tomorrow & see if it appeals to me.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So "No Place Like Home" is drama is it? UKTV have no idea about marketing. They have a "comedy" Gold channel, but put comedies on the Drama channel..... Go figure. BTW, I liked it when it was first shown :)
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    So "No Place Like Home" is drama is it? UKTV have no idea about marketing. They have a "comedy" Gold channel, but put comedies on the Drama channel..... Go figure. BTW, I liked it when it was first shown :)

Despite the name, Drama's had comedy as part of its mix since day one - it's the network's primary provision of scripted drama and comedy on DTT, as Gold and Alibi aren't on Freeview... It's arguably more apt than CBS Drama filling slots with unscripted stuff punted across from their Reality channel, at any road...
  • Options
    zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    I don't know how many of you remember this BBC sitcom from the 80's?.The Drama channel is showing the sitcom from the beginning starting from tomorrow.Looking at the schedule it's on 1pm & repeated at 6pm.

I remember this show, used to quite like it. I think the guy playing one of the sons, not Martin Clunes obvs, died very young during the making of one of the series.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this show, used to quite like it. I think the guy playing one of the sons, not Martin Clunes obvs, died very young during the making of one of the series.

Didnt Martin Clunes replace that actor?

Surely if UkTv are shoving any old stuff on the likes of Drama & Yesterday, which are also on Freeview, surely they should have a more generic name?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be great if they also show 'Keep It In The Family' later.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    One of my favourites in my teens. Marcia Warren was the best.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Random fact-Dee Sadler who played Tracy Crabtree is married to Derek Thompson-better known as Charlie Fairhead in Casualty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't recal it at all.

Anyway, I can't get Drama on my Freeview or Freesat.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,084
    Forum Member
    NPLH is one of those comedies I liked this as a kid, but when it was repeated a year or two back on Gold I didn't find it at all funny as an adult. The comedy I didn't like when I was younger was Ever Decreasing Circles, I couldn't see what was funny about it, but since it's been shown again on both Gold and Drama I absolutely love it! It's not the sort of comedy a child would get I suppose!

I'd like Drama to repeat Three Up, Two Down and Life Without George just to see if I'd find them funny now as they were two of my favourites back in the 80s. Seeing Bread again has made me wonder why I found it funny at the time! Some comedies I loved then I still find funny and can watch again and again, like Watching, Blackadder, The New Statesman and Dear John, but others I just don't find funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I've just looked up some snippets on U tube and I would not call it comedy.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah I was looking it up on IMDB this afternoon after watching the first ep. The lad playing the older son was sadly killed on his honeymoon in Spain in a car crash I think. Only 26 years old.:(
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I've just looked up some snippets on U tube and I would not call it comedy.

It is hilarious. Plenty of people can relate to the characters.