Homeward Bound, The Incredile Journey

Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watched this for the hundredth(?) time with my youngest son having watched it so many times with my older children.

Such a great film. No trickrery, no CGI. Just a great story with a great script and great actors doing the voices. The care taken to get it right is evident when watching.

Dissapointed to see it only scores 6.6 on IMDB. When a film of a certain genre, in this case "family", gets everything so right, it should be judged as an example of that genre and the rating should reflect that.

Also watched it in HD and it's probably the first time I've noticed and appreciated all that money we spend on Sky HD.:D

Comments

• Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dissapointed to see it only scores 6.6 on IMDB.

I also love the film, I used to have it on VHS, it was brilliant, funny and very touching in places..........don't pay attention to IMDb though there are so many films that I look at and think were great films and they only got 6 point summat and deserve a lot more.

I tend to agree a lot more with Rotten Tomatoes, this is off Wiki "The film received a mostly positive reception. The film holds an 87% approval rating at Rotten Tomatoes based on 23 reviews."

Michael J Fox and Sally Field were class as Chance and Sassy.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have also seen this many times and its a great film also the seconed one is not to bad.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have also seen this many times and its a great film also the seconed one is not to bad.

I didn't like no. 2 so much the first time. But it's grown on me.
    I think the dogs they used was the reason, maybe it's the American breeds? Kind of odd looking.

It's the simplicity of the film that works IMO. The dogs "talk" but the filmakers were brave enough to just present that rather than try and manipulate the animals into looking as if they were "talking".

Plus such great actors doing the voices, they got it spot on.
    Mind, I'll watch MJF do anything. The man could read a shopping list and still be watchable.
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    My favourite childhood film, i bought it on DVD a couple of years ago,i loved it that much.
    I always wanted a golden retriever like Shadow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was my main reason for wanting to visit the Sierra Nevada.

Then after visiting, I discovered that the movie was filmed in Oregon. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    love these films. wish that there had been at least 1 more
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This film always makes me cry when Shadow falls down into that ditch at the very end.
  • tomfoolery1tomfoolery1 Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the first films I bought for my kids on dvd.
    But not very good compared to the original version.
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Seems the film is on again 0.15 tonight Sky Family might have to watch that :)
  • MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 366,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Homeward Bound was one of my favourites films as a child. It is a wonderful story and is a delight to watch from beginning to end.
  • MrstimmyMrstimmy Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly can't watch it. When each animal has their sad moment I fall apart! When the cat does that heartbreaking meow when she falls in the river I burst into tears, and dont even get me started on the bit when shadow can't climb up the Hill to get out the hole. And then when Peter calls him and he takes ages to get there. God I've made myself crying just writing this message out! I will not put myself through the trauma of watching it again its too sad!!
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I've still got it on VHS, along with the second one. I might give them a watch one rainy afternoon as it's been many years since I last saw them. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad it's not just me! I love this film and yes I cry every time Shadow falls down the pit even though I know he makes it out in the end :o I love the bit at the end when they all go into the house and Chance sees the turkey :)
  • MsJoaquinMsJoaquin Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glad I am not the only one, the minute they come over that hill at the end, I start crying
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsJoaquin wrote: »
    glad I am not the only one, the minute they come over that hill at the end, I start crying

Is there anybody adult who doesn't?:o

Worse thing is that when watching with children, you know you are going to cry, you know they will be mercilessly pointing out how stupid you are being (nearly all children are hard hearted little monsters at some point), so you find yourself going to the loo at certain points in certain films.:D

I always warn them though that one day they will be old enough to be a sentimental idiot and they too will bawl in films and I will have my revenge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the first films I bought for my kids on dvd.
    But not very good compared to the original version.

This. I didn't mind Homeward Bound when I saw it at the age of 9, but I'd grown up with The Incredible Journey and it doesn't compare. It's a lot more emotional when Tao falls into the water because he wasn't doing some sarcastic, aggravating chant at the time... And Bodger's speechless return home works a lot better than Shadow's unnecessary commentary - the look is in the dog's face, it's all we need to know.

I can understand why they remade it as having the animals talk makes them more anthropomorphic and therefore maybe easier for children to relate to, but it seems that The Incredible Journey of the 60's has been long forgotten... :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my childhood favs aswel. Will defo show to my kids when I have them.
  • PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leaby wrote: »
    This. I didn't mind Homeward Bound when I saw it at the age of 9, but I'd grown up with The Incredible Journey and it doesn't compare. It's a lot more emotional when Tao falls into the water because he wasn't doing some sarcastic, aggravating chant at the time... And Bodger's speechless return home works a lot better than Shadow's unnecessary commentary - the look is in the dog's face, it's all we need to know.

I can understand why they remade it as having the animals talk makes them more anthropomorphic and therefore maybe easier for children to relate to, but it seems that The Incredible Journey of the 60's has been long forgotten... :(

I actually feel the opposite. I have loved Homeward Bound since I saw it as a child, and as other posters have said it brings me to tears. I recently watched "The Incredible Journey" and wasn't very impressed. I found the pacing a bit lacking and the children were way too sickly sweet for my liking (admittedly the kids in HB could be quite annoying but they were not stereotypical disney kids like in the original). Maybe its just a matter of what film you grew up with which determines which you prefer.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it, sad that the animals are all probably dead now :(:cry:
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Just watched it, sad that the animals are all probably dead now :(:cry:

Most of the humans are too.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sweet film if I remember
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Most of the humans are too.

Maybe from the 60s film but the actors in the 90s movie are all still alive.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Maybe from the 60s film but the actors in the 90s movie are all still alive.

Of course, I was referring to that one.

I wish they'd get a move on & release it on BluRay.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A fantastic film. I remember seeing it as a child and I still enjoy it even now as an adult. The bit with shadow not getting out if the ditch and then arriving hobbling over the hill still chokes me even now.