Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Saw Paul Mccartney 3 days in a row when he was at the High Court for his divorce hearing. I'm a huge fan and waited to see him (not expecting him to acknowledge us). We were stood at a private bit away from the press. Each morning he made eye contact and said a cheery "Good morning". He didn't have to do that as we were just standing there gawping at him. Shows he's a polite person in my book. (I'm a HUGE fan so it made my year!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Forgot to say. He looked very handsome in the flesh! (i was not the only one who said this. My friend agreed who is not a fan).
  • strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d56 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever met Dermot O'Leary/ Holly Willoughby/ Christine Bleakley?

I'm always interested in what well known TV presenters/personalities are actually like off camera.

I have met Dermot a few times (he used to come into where I used to work and also used to bump into him at the pub near my work). He is very polite, friendly, quite dry sense of humour.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in radio so have been very fortunate to meet a lot of music and showbiz types over the years. The vast majority are lovely and I have had some wonderful times, being lucky.

One person who really sticks in my mind is Darius. Back in about 2003 we had a complete re-furb of the studios and station so we asked Darius to come and perform for some invited clients, listeners and Asda Heroes. Now the Asda Heroes were children of courage and part of a charity campaign they were doing. Anyway, at the end of the set he gave his towel to a disabled girl in a wheelchair and had a good chat with her.

About 6 months later we were hosting the Smash Hits Tour at the Sheffield Arena and Darius was on the bill. We went down on a mini bus, again with some of the Asda Heroes, including this girl. She pulled me to one side and said "Darren when Darius gave me his towel he told me he liked my bracelet ( it was in the style of a bike chain ) so would you give it to him when you see him backstage please ?" I did and he was as charming as ever. He told me to thank her. A month or so later he was pictured in Heat Magazine wearing said bracelet. I just thought that was pure class. Apparently the girl was really made up. What a touch
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d56 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever met Dermot O'Leary/ Holly Willoughby/ Christine Bleakley?

I'm always interested in what well known TV presenters/personalities are actually like off camera.

I see Dermot all the time on the Tube at Finsbury Park. My dad has met him a few times and says that he's dead nice.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in radio so have been very fortunate to meet a lot of music and showbiz types over the years. The vast majority are lovely and I have had some wonderful times, being lucky.

One person who really sticks in my mind is Darius. Back in about 2003 we had a complete re-furb of the studios and station so we asked Darius to come and perform for some invited clients, listeners and Asda Heroes. Now the Asda Heroes were children of courage and part of a charity campaign they were doing. Anyway, at the end of the set he gave his towel to a disabled girl in a wheelchair and had a good chat with her.

About 6 months later we were hosting the Smash Hits Tour at the Sheffield Arena and Darius was on the bill. We went down on a mini bus, again with some of the Asda Heroes, including this girl. She pulled me to one side and said "Darren when Darius gave me his towel he told me he liked my bracelet ( it was in the style of a bike chain ) so would you give it to him when you see him backstage please ?" I did and he was as charming as ever. He told me to thank her. A month or so later he was pictured in Heat Magazine wearing said bracelet. I just thought that was pure class. Apparently the girl was really made up. What a touch

Ah that's just gorgeous, a proper gentleman, you're right, THAT is pure class:)
  • enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a mate said he met Take That a while ago.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,845
    Forum Member
    enudzio wrote: »
    a mate said he met Take That a while ago.

.... and?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Met Stephen Mulhern during a recording of the Catchphrase pilot back in August and he was a nice bloke. He was kind enough to let me have a photo taken with him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Years ago I saw Roy Hattersley (Labour MP) standing alone on a platform at New street staton looking as though he was overseeing his estate. Everybody was veering around him with about 15 feet to spare.
    Hannahb29 wrote: »
    Saw Paul Mccartney 3 days in a row when he was at the High Court for his divorce hearing. I'm a huge fan and waited to see him (not expecting him to acknowledge us). We were stood at a private bit away from the press. Each morning he made eye contact and said a cheery "Good morning". He didn't have to do that as we were just standing there gawping at him. Shows he's a polite person in my book. (I'm a HUGE fan so it made my year!)

Well I've no personal experience of either of these but I do know someone who lives not far from Roy and he says he's a nice bloke who always stops and chats for a while. Might help that my friend is a leftie though! And another friend has a daughter who was at school with Pauls youngest and saw both Paul and Heather (post divorce) regularly on the school run. Both were friendly with no airs and graces.
  • SmiffySmiffy Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    A few years ago I had the pleasure of appearing on two BBC television quiz shows.
    Bob's Full House hosted by Bob Monkhouse, and a short lived show called "Whatever Next" hosted by Noel Edmonds.
    Bob Monkhouse was brilliant. Nothing was too much trouble for him. A gentleman.
    Edmonds? I wouldn't stop for him if I saw him broken down by the side of the road at 1 o'clock in the morning.
    So far up himself it was untrue.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Smiffy wrote: »
    A few years ago I had the pleasure of appearing on two BBC television quiz shows.
    Bob's Full House hosted by Bob Monkhouse, and a short lived show called "Whatever Next" hosted by Noel Edmonds.
    Bob Monkhouse was brilliant. Nothing was too much trouble for him. A gentleman.
    Edmonds? I wouldn't stop for him if I saw him broken down by the side of the road at 1 o'clock in the morning.
    So far up himself it was untrue.

I knew someone who appeared on family fortunes and said the same about Bob. She was a bit nervous about being on the telly but he put her at ease and when he discovered she was a science fiction fan they got on like a house on fire. She said he really knew his stuff when it came to science fiction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friends daughter in law was in a restaurant abroad and the late Heath Ledger was in there. She asked the waiter if he could ask Heath if she could have his autograph. Heath Ledger said no she couldn't but that she could join him and his friends instead. :D:D:D He was apparently, lovely.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, I'm sure Tom Baker was niceness itself to starstruck kids in the 70s, staying in character as the Doctor-but I suspect he might just as habitually adopt a more cynical, non-oleaginous manner with professed former childhood fans, but in a tongue-in-cheek way not meant to cause offence. It fits with my image of him, and his rye personality.

He certainly has a 'Rye' personality - as that's where he now lives...
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    He certainly has a 'Rye' personality - as that's where he now lives...

Oh! Quite the coincidence-and I recently found out that 'rye' is spelt 'wry', in the usage I meant!
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have met/or worked with:

- Richard Wilson
    - Peter Davison
    - John Barrowman
    - Bernard Cribbins
    - Ian Rankin
    - Liam Neeson
    - June Brown
    - Anita Dobson & Brian May

All were lovely.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met Eric Sykes at the Olympic Games in Athens in 2004. He was sooo nice. His grand daughter was competing
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Hunter from Gladiators when I was a nipper. I hit him on the head with an inflatable hammer. He re-adjusted his hair, them told me I should be on Gladiators.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    My parents saw Julie Andrews filming a Christmas show in Austria years back and said she was rude. I've met tony Blair and Lord Coe both briefly.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad met Ted Heath in the nineties outside his home in Salisbury. Seemed pleasant enough as the brief encounter was apolitical, but I wonder how Ted would have reacted if my dad asked him about his nemesis?
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    My dad met Ted Heath in the nineties outside his home in Salisbury. Seemed pleasant enough as the brief encounter was apolitical, but I wonder how Ted would have reacted if my dad asked him about his nemesis?

Interestingly, it seems hard to find anyone, regardless of their politics, who liked Ted Heath. I read a review of a new biography of him a year or two ago; the reviewer said that the author had obviously gone to great pains to write as sympathetic an account as possible and he still came over as obnoxious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Margaret Rutherford when I was a teenager. She was appearing at the Liverpool Playhouse with John Neville,Anna and Raymond Massey,Ralph Richardson. They were all charming and prepared to sign autogrpahs in the pouring rain for 2 sodden schoolgirls but Margaret came out last and insisted we went back inside the stage door with her as "You two little girls are getting soaked" She flung her tapestry wrap over her shoulder ( just like Miss Marple) and hugged us. What a gem!
    Jimmy Tarbuck I met when he was very young comic when he had almost rock star status in Liverpool and he was lovely and patient with a gang of screaming girls. Ton O'Connor is another nice man.I've seen Steve Gerrrard a few times and he always seems to have time for his young fans allowing them to take photos.A member of my family has met him regualry and says he is always pleasant ( despite the rucus he was involved in a few years back) . Same member of the family has met Jordan ( say no more..tiny though) but said James Hewitt is truly a charmer and David Guest ( who another friend has met and agrees) may look weird but was absolutely lovely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interestingly, it seems hard to find anyone, regardless of their politics, who liked Ted Heath. I read a review of a new biography of him a year or two ago; the reviewer said that the author had obviously gone to great pains to write as sympathetic an account as possible and he still came over as obnoxious.

My cousin and a friend have both met Tony Benn and say he is the nicest and most intelligent of men.
    My sister met Maggie Thatcher who thrust her handbag at her to carry and Princess Margaret who stubbed out her ciggie in the saucer of the bone china tea cup specially provided for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years back I was in a music video with The Coral , a Merseyside group who were very successful at the time. We had a great day, totally mad and they were gorgeous young men. When my exploits got back to the students in our Sixth Form , there wasa lot of knocking on my clasroom door asking if it was truly me on that video LOL:D
  • clareiowclareiow Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I believe my mum met Ted Heath when she was trying to get a housing transfer to where we currently live. He was our local MP and took up her case personally with the local authorities to ensure she got the move she needed ( she was really ill and wanted to be closer to her parents).
    From what I recall mum said he was a lovely man.