Pre-School Bottled Water Ban.

Comments

• jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most likely the school don't want to be bother faffing about with infants' water bottles and I can't say I blame them. Your son's reaction is way ott.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My niece is at pre school and they all bring their own labeled drinks containers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Most likely the school don't want to be bother faffing about with infants' water bottles and I can't say I blame them. Your son's reaction is way ott.

How is it faffing? My niece bring her own juice in her own Dora bottle. All the kids bottles are clearly named and all go on a tray when they come in. Simple
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Quite - and at some point she's going to realise that drinking tap water is a perfectly normal and safe thing to do, and wonder what on earth is wrong with her parents.

It may be safe but some tap water depending on where you are tastes just awful. My old workplace for example, the water was alwats warmish and really tasted of chemicals. Safe but not very tasty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beau_Soir wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the child, not only has she got a neurotic mother, but a clueless father aswell who seems to think pulling a child out of school for something so trivial is the best thing to do!!

That's a disgusting thing to say!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they say it's on health and safety grounds ask to see the risk assessment showing the hazard, the cause, the consequences of this hazard creating and incident and then the risk of the conseqeunce occuring.

Risk = probabillity x severity of outcome.

If they say they haven't done one then the rule is hasn;t been brought in on health and safety grounds.

If they say they have done a risk assessment but its confidential tell them that the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 requires them to ensure people on their premises are safe and are aware of any major hazards.

If banning water bottles from the premises for kids is that serious then parents should be told of the reasons WHY it is so hazardous as it begs the question...how has a school allowed the bringing of bottles of water onto the premises to become so much of a risk that they are having to ban them.

And if they still don't show you the risk assessment get in touch with the HSE and explain the school is withholding information on potentially serious hazard occurences within the school.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    If they say it's on health and safety grounds ask to see the risk assessment showing the hazard, the cause, the consequences of this hazard creating and incident and then the risk of the conseqeunce occuring.

Risk = probabillity x severity of outcome.

If they say they haven't done one then the rule is hasn;t been brought in on health and safety grounds.

If they say they have done a risk assessment but its confidential tell them that the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 requires them to ensure people on their premises are safe and are aware of any major hazards.

If banning water bottles from the premises for kids is that serious then parents should be told of the reasons WHY it is so hazardous as it begs the question...how has a school allowed the bringing of bottles of water onto the premises to become so much of a risk that they are having to ban them.

And if they still don't show you the risk assessment get in touch with the HSE and explain the school is withholding information on potentially serious hazard occurences within the school.

OR he could stop over reacting and talk to the teacher about a compromise. :rolleyes:
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I really wouldn't want to be a teacher in this day and age. People complain about everything but want everything in return. Just look at the other thread about taking children out of school for holidays.

maybe the OP's son should speak to the class teacher to find out why they aren't allowed bottled water there may well be a perfectly good explanation for it(choking on bottle tops maybe), also taking the child out is rather extreme under the circumstances.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think that rules are rules and I wouldn't encourage my child to think that it's ok to break the rules at school.

Perhaps if it was something a bit more important then I might question things with the head, but our water is perfectly ok to drink.
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    I personally find nothing wrong with it, (I don't buy bottled water)
    However his wife is Italian and was raised not to drink tap water over there and still does not drink it over here, I must admit she is a bit paranoid over such things as healthy living.

Well perhaps someone should tell her that she lives in England now, and not Italy?
  • Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    Personally I think that rules are rules and I wouldn't encourage my child to think that it's ok to break the rules at school.

Perhaps if it was something a bit more important then I might question things with the head, but our water is perfectly ok to drink.

I absolutely agree with this. Different school and teachers have different rules, and providing they're not detrimental to the child's health or welfare (and I don't think anybody can seriously argue that in the case of the OP's grandson) then children should follow them, and be encouraged to do so by their parents.

Ridiculous overreaction by the OP's son and daughter-in-law.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the school wants to be sure that the children are drinking water rather than some high-sugar stuff, or else something loaded with additives that might make them hyper?

ETA: I note that the OP says, "It is NOT carbonated or flavoured water she takes in," but what might be in some of the other children's bottles?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    take the child out of school over this is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard.

the child's parents are saying clearly, that their point of principal is more important than their child's education.

which is absurd. i wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if social services became involved.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    take the child out of school over this is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard.

the child's parents are saying clearly, that their point of principal is more important than their child's education.

which is absurd. i wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if social services became involved.

If it is pre school, rather than school, I doubt social services would be called as it is the parent's choice to send them or not.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a call yesterday from one of my son's about my 4yr old grand daughters pre-school banning her taking in bottled water, saying she HAS to drink tap water like everyone else, (It is NOT carbonated or flavoured water she takes in) yet the staff take in their own bottled water.
    She started last Tues and my son has pulled her out on principle.

He is considering reporting this to Ofsted, would they look into this ?

I don't think Ofsted would be concerned with such utterly trivial things!

Tap water is perfectly safe in this country. Drinking plain bottled water in this country is totally unneccesary.

Pulling the child out of school is a very OTT reaction. Is he going to do this each time he disagrees with other things during her school life.

What lessons is the child going to learn if the parents stamp their feet and flounce whenever things do not go their way?

It is not an unreasonable school rule.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i actually think if i were the school i'd just leave the parents to it. thinking i could do with out the hassle of such petulant parents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a call yesterday from one of my son's about my 4yr old grand daughters pre-school banning her taking in bottled water, saying she HAS to drink tap water like everyone else, (It is NOT carbonated or flavoured water she takes in) yet the staff take in their own bottled water.

is there no water cooler machines in the school?

i can not think of a reason to ban bottled water, i personally would not drink tap water, pulling her out of the school isn't a good idea either, ..your son does realise he can let his daughter attend school while tackling this issue!!

i can see it now, daughter made to do homework, father pulls child out of school :rolleyes:
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    4smiffy wrote: »

Rules are rules. Equally, arbitrary bullshit rules are arbitrary bullshit rules. Should we really encourage children to blindly follow instructions that are not of any real benefit to anyone?
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pre-school most probably serve the kids their water in cups to make sure that all of them can actually drink from a cup! There will be some children, even at the age of 4, who have never drunk from a cup (tumbler), so the last thing they want is one child who is allowed to be the exception and use a bottle - by the end of day 1 all the children will all want a bottle and they will have a mini riot on their hands!
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member

Your son best be prepared for a long and rocky ride with the state education system.

I suggest you introduce him to the term, 'don't sweat the small stuff'.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently bottled water can have quite a high sodium content. Maybe that's one reason for not giving it to wee ones.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rules are rules. Equally, arbitrary bullshit rules are arbitrary bullshit rules. Should we really encourage children to blindly follow instructions that are not of any real benefit to anyone?

There's nothing wrong with tap water, what's bullshit about children drinking it?

In my opinion parents should support teachers. How can we ever expect our children to behave and be disciplined at school if we as parents challenge the school rules?
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    "To be given a drink"?
    He's four years old, not four months. He doesn't have to be given a drink. He can do it himself.

Yes but he probably won't be able to open it or put the top back on. Imagine 25 four year olds all wanting a drink at different times.The morning would soon go and nothing being
    accomplished.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

probably since they will have to do so their whole lives.

i follow bullshit rules at work - sometimes fighting the system is just spitting in your own face
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    Yes but he probably won't be able to open it or put the top back on. Imagine 25 four year olds all wanting a drink at different times.The morning would soon go and nothing being
    accomplished.

Exactly. And then some would get spilled, some would get chewed and be useless, Some would get lost, some would get the wrong bottle and the parents would complain when their kids picked up germs etc, etc.

One water break, they all get a cup, drink it up, clear it away, job done.