eco mode

paul richardspaul richards Posts: 13
Forum Member
an update as promised.

the box did record during the night so that means either it doesn't go in to red mode or it wakes itself up.

Comments

• BigBadJimmyBigBadJimmy Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's good to hear. I did think it would cause chaos if all of the people trying to conserve energy found that all of their nighttime recordings failed!
  • Philip NixonPhilip Nixon Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is ECO mode is this a new update?
  • pete32pete32 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    The people talking about this and other updates to the set top box had their posts deleted yesterday. Does Sky now run DS? China or what?
  • TCTC Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I believe Sky will request removal of a post or thread that reveals something that is the subject on an NDA between it and the poster, i.e. the poster is a beta tester and they are revealing something not known to the wider world.

This one is more interesting because the thread starter who revealed the information was NOT a beta tester and therefore not under NDA; he had simply been supplied with a box with updated software tha had not been generally released. I really fail to see therefore why DS should have to delete the thread.

By supplying its customer with a box with updated software, Sky have effectively put that software and the existence of its new features into the public domain, thus negating the NDA.

TC
  • pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Deleted.
  • TCTC Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Delete because pward1965 just deleted or did DS delete it?

TC
  • pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    TC wrote: »
    Delete because pward1965 just deleted or did DS delete it?

TC

Hi TC

I deleted the post as it contained much the same information as you posted.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete32 wrote: »
    The people talking about this and other updates to the set top box had their posts deleted yesterday. Does Sky now run DS? China or what?

Wise up. It was deleted because it broke an NDA. It's DS's responsibility that what's on their site isn't breaking any regulations. If they didn't delete it, they would be held accountable.

Still, totally reasonable to compare it to an oppressive regime. Doesn't for one second trivialise those who have had their human rights violated over the years. :rolleyes:
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if the OP wasn't a beta test, as they've indicated they then don't have an NDA? So they can't break it as they aren't under one.

None of that matters though, we've all seen & read it all and a few users who are usually very spot on, if not exact down to every detail had confirmed it all and said it was coming to all drx890 / 5 boxes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon41 wrote: »
    But if the OP wasn't a beta test, as they've indicated they then don't have an NDA? So they can't break it as they aren't under one.

None of that matters though, we've all seen & read it all and a few users who are usually very spot on, if not exact down to every detail had confirmed it all and said it was coming to all drx890 / 5 boxes.

Yeah...the OP in this thread isn't under NDA. But I'm pretty sure the ones yesterday were? No?
    Forum Member
    Wise up. It was deleted because it broke an NDA. It's DS's responsibility that what's on their site isn't breaking any regulations. If they didn't delete it, they would be held accountable.

Still, totally reasonable to compare it to an oppressive regime. Doesn't for one second trivialise those who have had their human rights violated over the years. :rolleyes:

Who's regulations? Isn't censorship a human rights violation, lower down the scale here, but still a violation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's regulations? Isn't censorship a human rights violation, lower down the scale here, but still a violation.

"censorship" is a human rights violation. But it's not censorship if the information is subject to NDA.
    Forum Member
    Thats Sky's NDA not Digital Spy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I am well aware of that. Doesn't mean that DS shouldn't be diligent in removing things that break other company's NDA's, though. DS have a pretty good reputation in the industry, I doubt they'd want to lose that over something so stupid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's also possible that Sky have provided DS with details of whatever is coming in the future but that the info is under agreed embargo, hence DS is obliged to remove references to it.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe all this fuss over Dolby Digital 5.1 over hdmi. It's something Sky should have provided years ago.
    Or is there something more? Planner sharing? ECO mode?
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TC wrote: »
    This one is more interesting because the thread starter who revealed the information was NOT a beta tester and therefore not under NDA; he had simply been supplied with a box with updated software tha had not been generally released. I really fail to see therefore why DS should have to delete the thread.
    TC
    It wouldn't be the first time Sky have accidently supplied boxes with unreleased software. IIRC they supplied some DRX890's to new customers with the "Darwin" software on them whilst it was still in beta.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see DS have now deleted my post yesterday explaining why Dolby Digital over HDMI IS a very big deal for some of us.

Why????

I am not a beta tester or under any NDA. I asked a perfectly reasonable question about Sky and Pace boxes in the previous thread (which was deleted) and now my mention of that deletion has disappeared.

Yet someone above (in a post not deleted) mentions Dolby Digital over HDMI. Which was the only possibly 'secret' thing I mentioned. In reply to loads of other posts that had already done so.

Or are Sky trying to make the sound drop outs on Pace boxes disappear by insisting all posts about them are removed?

I am bemused by the over reaction? Are wwe no longer allowed to discuss problems with our Sky boxes and hopes for a solution? If so, why?

I guess this post will now be removed as well. But I have no idea what I am doing wrong. My posts are about the issue of sound drop outs via optical on Pace boxes and why having digital over HDMI might solve that problem which Sky have failed to do since the new EPG arrived last year.

There are posts on at least two threads on here refering to the possibility of Digital over HDMI possibly coming in future. So that itself cannot be the reason. And I am only discussing this as a possible solution to a problem Sky are struggling to fix. But hey ho. If Sky are not willing to debate this problem in public what can you do? Though it sends a poor message to their customers.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not doing anything wrong Jaycee. There was nothing wrong with the thread that was deleted. This is a forum where things are discussed, including possible Sky upgrades/fixes.
    Dolby digital over hdmi was mentioned months ago - there was a debate whether or not the current hardware could support it. It now seems that it may indeed be possible. Why Sky should get upset about that I have no idea. Maybe it was something else in the thread? But we should be free to discuss those also. We like the idea of planner sharing. I have no idea if or when it will be with us but it sounds good.
    I would also like to store programmes on a usb stick - even if the hd programmes are encrypted so will only playback on the box it was recorded on - like some tvs can do
    The new eco mode looks good as well - as long as it wakes up in time to record a programme and it looks like it will. If it didn't I wouldn't use it.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    You're not doing anything wrong Jaycee. There was nothing wrong with the thread that was deleted. This is a forum where things are discussed, including possible Sky upgrades/fixes.
    Dolby digital over hdmi was mentioned months ago - there was a debate whether or not the current hardware could support it. It now seems that it may indeed be possible. Why Sky should get upset about that I have no idea. Maybe it was something else in the thread? But we should be free to discuss those also. We like the idea of planner sharing. I have no idea if or when it will be with us but it sounds good.
    I would also like to store programmes on a usb stick - even if the hd programmes are encrypted so will only playback on the box it was recorded on - like some tvs can do
    The new eco mode looks good as well - as long as it wakes up in time to record a programme and it looks like it will. If it didn't I wouldn't use it.

So, we all need to start threads of what we would like, and whichever ones get deleted, we then know it's coming.

I'm sure I know someone on here who'd like that job, Dansky :D
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, we all need to start threads of what we would like, and whichever ones get deleted, we then know it's coming.

I'm sure I know someone on here who'd like that job, Dansky :D

none of his threads get deleted, so what does that tell you !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP has done a great job despite the thread being deleted and I'm sure I wasn't alone in seeing something else new today!

Keep it up OP
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah...the OP in this thread isn't under NDA. But I'm pretty sure the ones yesterday were? No?

It begs the question how do Ds or Sky know which actual posters are under NDA and who are not ?

Surely its a case of delete anything that is not in the open
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the first time Sky have accidently supplied boxes with unreleased software. IIRC they supplied some DRX890's to new customers with the "Darwin" software on them whilst it was still in beta.
    Just how unlikely is that????? Sky are NOT doing tests on unreleased OS versions in warehouses full of new boxes!!!!!!

Also the installer is supposed to upgrade the OS (which is FAR more likely to well out of date!) as part of the installation process.

To get the pre-release beta OS versions one has to provide viewing card number - and agree to a NDA!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Just how unlikely is that????? Sky are NOT doing tests on unreleased OS versions in warehouses full of new boxes!!!!!!

Also the installer is supposed to upgrade the OS (which is FAR more likely to well out of date!) as part of the installation process.

To get the pre-release beta OS versions one has to provide viewing card number - and agree to a NDA!

Actually the update stream does contain new versions, this was the case when Darwin was being tested - the new version gets added only for a very short time (hrs not days) to allow people in the know to update the boxes - it's just not public knowledge and you'd have to be very lucky to catch the update that way.

They also apply certain updates to specified serial numbers / viewing cards.