Do you think Rihanna is modern-day Madonna?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think Rihanna is modern-day Madonna?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's similar in some aspects but Madonna had (and still has) more creative control over her work and pushed more boundaries both muscially and otherwise than Rihanna does. I don't think there will ever be another Madonna, in the sense that Madonna made so many breakthroughs in a time when female musicians weren't nearly as common as they are now, and females publicly talking about sex and being provocative was generally frowned upon. Without Madonna, many female pop stars of today (especially Rihanna) might not have the freedom to be as sexually explicit as they often are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I see her as a Britney Spears of the early 00s if Britney Spears was batshit crazy, but their impact is very similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    No way, I don't think so. I agree with you, sjp07.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she is
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,193
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    No. I see her as a Britney Spears of the early 00s if Britney Spears was batshit crazy, but their impact is very similar.

Yeah. Kind of. Doesn't write a thing. At a whim to the record label and producers. A puppet on a string. A lot like Britney.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the comparrisons but i think she will fade by her late 30's, because music loyality shifts so quickly now, with so much musical choice avaliable.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I can see the comparrisons but i think she will fade by her late 30's, because music loyality shifts so quickly now, with so much musical choice avaliable.

I think she'll burn out first, she tours and records non-stop, has a turbulent personal life and if rumours are to be believed her drug use has gone beyond having the odd joint. I hope she doesn't become part of the '27 club' like Winehouse, Kurt Cobain etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she'll burn out first, she tours and records non-stop, has a turbulent personal life and if rumours are to be believed her drug use has gone beyond having the odd joint. I hope she doesn't become part of the '27 club' like Winehouse, Kurt Cobain etc.

Only talented musicians are unfortunately part of the 27 club. She has nothing to worry about.

Btw, I'm not saying it is unfortunate that she might not be part of it. I wish death on no one. Just that it is unfortunate that those who are part of it are. Just clearing that up.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Yeah. Kind of. Doesn't write a thing. At a whim to the record label and producers. A puppet on a string. A lot like Britney.

She's obviously not a puppet and she does write some of her music.

I'd compare her more to Britney than I would to Madonna but she's so different from both....
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess in a way Rihanna is like a modern day Madonna, they certainly share a few things in common:

1. Neither of them possess very much natural talent or are what you would call musically gifted, especially vocally.
    2. Both rely heavily on extremely talented songwriters and producers to coverup their obvious shortcomings in those areas. They're really only as good as the people they work with. Even Stephen Bray once admitted that Madonna's involvement in her music is "minimal". Others have spoken of her fondness for making simple lyric changes to completed songs purely to score a writers credit. Let's be honest here, neither Madonna or Rihanna would have come up with their hits by themselves.
    3. Both understand the importance of controversy. They know how to manipulate the public by shocking them and by pushing the envelope of convention.
    4. Both are very image and fashion focused.

It was Madonna who opened the doors to the likes of Rihanna, Katy Perry and Britney Spears. Madonna is living proof that you don't need a huge amount of talent to become a highly successful music star. As Joni Mitchell said, "Americans have decided to be stupid and shallow since 1980. Madonna is like Nero; she marks the turning point.”

Madonna basically defined the movement of style over substance and opened the doors to the teen-pop moment that keeps regenerating every few years.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    No!

Rihanna is Rihanna and Madonna is Madonna.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will never be another Madonna. I just can't see Rihanna still getting number ones and breaking touring records 30 years into her career. I think people don't realise what a phenomenon Madonna has been and Rihanna should be compared to Britney, Gaga and Katy Perry...not a legend

What Rihanna is doing at this point in her career is nothing compared to what Madonna did at the same point. Madonna was shifting albums like True Blue and Like A Prayer which are classics to this day and sold way more than anything Rihanna's ever done and was performing in front of 80-100,000 people on her tours. Just for the Who's That Girl premiere 10,000 showed up in Times Square
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When exactly did Stephen Bray say that about Madonna? Every other person to collaborate with her has said how incredibly involved she is
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No comparison - Madonna in a different league:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

do your research, you may be surprised at what Britney has done, Britney isn`t the puppet people think she is, just ask her producers as many have stated many a times, Britney is probably one of not many who fully respects the people who work with and for her.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a mix of Britney and Madonna. In that global sales and impact and now a part of pop culture and has cemnted herself a place in the history books. But in terms of creativity and impact on music no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I really like Rihanna but i dont really get what her legacy is, shes sold millions and millions but the majority of that is from disposable 79p itunes tracks - after Rated R and her Grammy snub it could have gone either way but luckily she struck pop gold again.

For all shes sold i just dont find her "iconic" and shes never had an album thats been a mega mega seller either.
  • DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see her as a modern day sinitta, yeah, definitely.
  • HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »

Britney was much bigger and pretty much an icon out the gate. Rihanna's eight years into her career now and no one calls her an icon. Britney's BOMT video alone is more iconic than anything Rihanna's ever done.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    No, but I'd say she was influenced a bit by Madonna .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    In terms of album sales, she's miles behind either Britney and Madonna
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At first i was like WHAAA>..then i saw who created the thread ;)

Not a serious thread a all and a couple comments have me laughing when they say "similarities" RIhanna has zero similarity to Madonna....although RIhanna in interviews has said she wants to be "the black Madonna" and she cites Madonna as one of her major influences (who wouldnt?) and she has attempted at being "onctroversial" BUT no way.....as with some comments i see more resemblence of RIhanna with Britney perhaps....but even then i wouldnt say thats true either.

For starters...Madonna since the beginning of her career has been in 110% control over everything from her music, who she wanted to work with to make the sounds she wanted (the fact a poster on here said she USES Producers and other peoples talent as she has none made me LOL severely hard!) she is involved in everything even if she didnt write the song orignally she makes it her own (Like a Virgin, Holiday, Material girl and half of the MDNA album were not Madonna originals but she adapted them and reworked them herself) she co-produces every song, she makes a cohesive body of work....and 32 years since being siged to a music label she is still on trend, releasing hit albums and selling out shwos globally in such large scale too.

^^^^ is just the tip of the iceburg....Fear Of FOurs or whatever may not be a fan of Madonna or indeed know what input Madonna has but my gosh Madonna is one of the most talented people ever in music, performance, business, artistry....its amazing the corners she has dominated and how all her collaborators have spoken about her in the studio or behind the scenes at concerts...she is the real deal and proof that dedication to you art, and being yourself is what makes you the most successful at the end of the day.

NOW.....RIhanna.....she represents a massive commercial aspect of the industry...i mean how many sogs of hers are played on Radio 1 or Capital FM daily? Id hate to count....she has released 7 albums in 8 years of her career! And is working on her 8th (as many as Britney will have over a 15 year period) RIhanna very much is a commercial influenced popstar and is doing remarkably well at it...i mean of all the contemporary popstars today RIhanna is at the forefront currently. WHen you see her album credits there are SO many producers across all the songs and writers for the most simplest of songs...and the majority arent orignally nor co-written by her either...not that that ultimately matters...but what is noticable across her albums are a lack of cohesiveness maybe, a lack of a real direction or indeed focus....and across all of her work thus far she hasnt really made people think or feel or inspire in such a way the likes of Madonna, MJ, Prince, Bowie etc have.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I don't know what it is about Rihanna, and I know she is so huge at the moment, but I've never really seen her as a "superstar" and I really don't know why when she is selling out stadiums and having hits all round the world. Its weird, I just don't see it yet.
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna does not write any of her material , unlike Madonna . Plus although Madonna was explicit , raunchy etc at times , she was not vulgar and crude like Riahanna .
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely this is a WUM thread.

Rihanna is a puppet; whilst Madonna although never an old school singer-songwriter/musician was always the puppet master of her own career.