Can only get sound from my home theater system unless i use headphone jack

I have a panasonic 5.1 home theatre system (Panasonic SC-XH70EB-K DVD) connected to my toshiba TV (Toshiba 32 Hd Ready Freeview can't find code for it closest Tosh i cn find like mine is 32BV502B) i've tried using hmdi, scart phono red/white cables to connect to get sound, nothing works except when i use red/white phono to headphone jack cable i get sound from TV with this but its quieter than it should be, where am i going wrong? everything i bought in the past has worked right away why not now :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    found my toshiba! 32BV801B
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like your TV has stereo audio output on phono connectors (LINE OUT L R - see page 14 of your Tosh manual)

...and your Pana HC kit has a stereo phono input (refered to as AUX).

As an alternative, you can try connecting the TV to the cinema kit using a SCART to SCART lead. Try both of the TV SCART sockets.

Either of these methods should give you the sound from the TV tuner in to the surround system.
    Forum Member
    so i would have thought Chris but the scart doesn't seem to work neither does the red/white i just get buzzing i'm thinking i might have a faulty unit perhaps :/
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it the surround kit plays DVDs okay?

As general trouble-shooting and to narrow down if it is a fault, I'd start with an MP3 player or phone connected to the headphone jack cable which then goes to AUX. Make sure that the correct source is selected on the Pana.

Testing the red & white phonos for audio out on the TV will be trickier unless you have some suitable sink device. Bare in mind as well you might only get sound from the TV's own tuner.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be a dodgy phono to phono lead causing the buzzing. I would think it doubtful but I wonder if the LINE OUT on the TV follows the TV volume control. So if you've turned the TV speakers off that would explain the lack of audio from those sockets. But I'm very dubious that would be the case. More likely a lead or TV fault.

One thing that might work for testing is to get hold of a jack socket to phono plug adapter. Plug the adapter into the LINE OUT on the TV and a pair of headphones into the jack socket. You won't get a lot of volume but you should hear something to at least prove it's working if there is no other option.

If the TV has a digital out and the surround system a digital input then that might be an alternative to the headphones/LINE OUT.
    Forum Member
    i'll try that chrisjr
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to be clear this is the kind of lead I'm talking about to try the LINE OUT on the TV with a pair of headphones

http://www.kenable.co.uk/images/phono_jack_kenable_adapter_ltd_socket_plug.jpg
    Forum Member
    yeah tried that and no sound came from there is there something i'm doing wrong does it need to be set to output on the tv somewhere or is it that my sockets are just bust some how, cos scart dont even work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the manual says sweet FA about the Line Out sockets. It only mentions them twice, once on the diagram showing the connector panel and once in the specs. Apart from that it says sod all about what comes out of them or whether you can select a specific signal to be output from them.
    Forum Member
    totally confusing like i've said never had a problem with this kind of stuff before, i used to work in retail and knew TV's back then, crazy that it only works if i use it with the headphone jack slot from tv to phono on the theatre system