Top Gear

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor piece by Hammond I thought but the rest was good, loved the E-Type tribute, the soft top was a such a beautiful car.

I hate the standard coupe though it loses the gorgeous rear lines, the low drag coupe was how it should have been done.
  • shuddupfluffyshuddupfluffy Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Predictably, he couldn't find anything wrong with the BMW at all - on what looked like a BMW sponsored show, yet a good slag off of the MG that they haven't seen and haven't driven, because it's assembled at Longbridge. Strangely, Clarkson liked the Ford Focus, but hates a car wwhich looks most similar to it! Go figure!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Predictably, he couldn't find anything wrong with the BMW at all
    Maybe because .....well, there wasn't in his opinion? Car manufacturers sometimes do produce one. Tell me, did you find anything wrong with it?
    yet a good slag off of the MG that they haven't seen and haven't driven, because it's assembled at Longbridge.
    Yes, that's the joke (and I say that living near that general area).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Maybe because .....well, there wasn't in his opinion? Car manufacturers sometimes do produce one. Tell me, did you find anything wrong with it?)

Yes, the changes made to the design were slightly vulgar, imo, and while it's a perfectly good car, it wasn't worth the gushing admiration he expelled! tbh, it was a bit predictable

Yes, that's the joke (and I say that living near that general area).[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is a joke, it's a tired cliche to slag off MG all the time, especially as he hasn't even seen one - if they'd produced a car that was identical to the BMW, he'd have still slagged it off!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the changes made to the design were slightly vulgar, imo, and while it's a perfectly good car, it wasn't worth the gushing admiration he expelled! tbh, it was a bit predictable
    So you have driven one?
    Yes, that's the joke (and I say that living near that general area).

I don't think it is a joke, it's a tired cliche to slag off MG all the time, especially as he hasn't even seen one - if they'd produced a car that was identical to the BMW, he'd have still slagged it off![/QUOTE]It's a cliche, yes. But one with a sound pedigree based in the 70's. Anyone who watches TG regularly will know JC's on-screen attitude to Birmingham and Longbridge (cue heavy Brummie accent etc).

As for the MG itself, an awful-looking body which belies its attempt to be something else entirely is what I saw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you have driven one?

No, I've seen one, but not test driven it - my opinion is based on what I have seen, but I've test driven an MG6, which is more than Clarkson can say!

I just think it's a shame he has to rely on prejudice and cliche, rather than judging something for what it is! Afterall, if we are saying nothing changes, then why review new cars!
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    No, I've seen one, but not test driven it - my opinion is based on what I have seen, but I've test driven an MG6, which is more than Clarkson can say!

I just think it's a shame he has to rely on prejudice and cliche, rather than judging something for what it is! Afterall, if we are saying nothing changes, then why review new cars!

Cliché, using Ctrl+Alt plus 'e' will give the acute accent. :o
  • planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    You better tell Fiat that - they've been flogging them for 3 years

That's not a classic 499cc air-cooled Fiat 500...it's a new car with hat tip to styling of the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Cliché, using Ctrl+Alt plus 'e' will give the acute accent. :o

Thanks!:D I didn't know that, and I don't like incorrect grammar.

é - oo, you're right!

Brilliant.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    I don't really mind them slagging off the MG 6. It looks a bit bland and isn't very good. It's not actually bad, just average or below average.

"Assembled in Longbridge" is overstating it, a little but they do more than just glue the badges on. They get a car that's 80-90% finished and add a few bits to it.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hammond crushed an Alfa 156 in that Marauder thing! What a b*st*rd!

Apparently there's an even bigger version:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matador_(Mine_Protected_Vehicle)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, well the point that I am trying to make (perhaps rather badly) is that JC was the man behind the wheel, he had the experience of driving the car and could determine its handling and responsiveness (given that he has had a great deal of experience driving other cars within the same parameters and environment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, well the point that I am trying to make (perhaps rather badly) is that JC was the man behind the wheel, he had the experience of driving the car and could determine its handling and responsiveness (given that he has had a great deal of experience driving other cars within the same parameters and environment.

Yet he hasn't even seen an MG6 but is well placed to slag it off - yep, I understand your line of argument!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what song was playing when Jeremy was driving the E Type Jag down the country roads? :confused:
    Radiohead - Codex was played for about 10 seconds. Probably not what you wanted though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it.

I love the 'scripted challenges'

I love the banter & silliness.

I love the very un pc messing about

It's an hour of fun & silliness that I know many don't like

There is a lot of stuff on tv I don't like I simply don't watch it

Very simple
    Loved the Maruader bit with Hammond crushing cars reminded of Kenny Everett in his tank sketch with 15 star American general. 'Hey Limeys! Got parking problems? Then buy a tank & park anywhere!'
    Great fun :D

Long may top gear continue
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet he hasn't even seen an MG6 but is well placed to slag it off - yep, I understand your line of argument!
    Which does not make my argument invalid for the BMW, nor does it make your argument valid for the BMW either.

So a bit of an impasse.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    Didn't they do that "racing a car against an ice run" thing in a previous series (or maybe a special)? Rhetorical question; I *know* they did.
    Is that because you're a clever fellow who remembers it from the first time? Or because they actually told us during the episode? The first time the athlete won, so this was a chance for the car to win. That was kind of the point?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Is that because you're a clever fellow who remembers it from the first time? Or because they actually told us during the episode? The first time the athlete won, so this was a chance for the car to win. That was kind of the point?
    And the first time it was a bobsleigh with Hammond in it (they told us that as well :D )
  • OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    Even with the skeleton race and Maurader it just felt a bit 'blah' to me.
    Nothing special whatsoever. Nice bits yes but overall it didn't thrill me, which is a pity as it normally does.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Missed this. Is it repeated during the week at all ?

Tomorrow night at 11.20pm on beeb 2
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    then on Dave soon after :p
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DFI wrote: »
    Ah yes, the old "don't think you have quite grasped the concept of a "Discussion Board" riposte "

I don't think you've quite grasped the concept of not discussing a programme you don't watch

I don't think you have quite grasped the concept of intelligent debate, to counter my argument try coming up with statements that disprove it rather than being disrespectful and rude.

I have watched it in the past, it has jumped the shark, that's my point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched it in the past, it has jumped the shark, that's my point.

That's one of the few things they haven;t done as a 'Top Gear Challenge' yet.
  • EETILLIDIE11EETILLIDIE11 Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is still probably the best on TV. It has been from the start of this format.
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was OK..the only bit that really pissed me off was Clarkson stomping all over May when he tried to find out how the mini did in its first rally.......anybody know?
This discussion has been closed.