Lack of interest in gaming

Comments

• Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm losing interest slightly because I feel the same type of games are being released every year. Plus games seem to be getting shorter and shorter with more and more long winded cut scenes.

I like Real Time Strategy games and the quality in this genre has really dropped.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in that period where I can't seem to get the motivation to play. I received 4 new games at Christmas but I really am not interested in playing any of them.

I turn my Xbox on and maybe play for 5 minutes then get bored again. I seem to remember having a similar problem a few years ago but I cant remember what the problem was.

Does anyone else go through phases of playing a lot, then not wanting to play at all?

To be honest, I think the real issue here is that you see it as a problem. It isn't.

Gaming can be an incredibly insular hobby and if you don't combine it with other interests, its appeal will naturally wane. It isn't a job, you don't have to force yourself to fire up the launcher every day. But knowing you could or should be doing other things that are perhaps more constructive will add to dissatisfaction in your gaming habits. There should be only one return from the time the spend gaming and that is enjoyment. If you aren't getting that return then do something else instead.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luckily my BA rank on Borderlands 2 got chopped in half. So I'm working my way through another play of that to keep me busy until Dead Space 3. But keep walking into a hail of gunfire like I'm one of my lvl 50's. :rolleyes:

But, yeah, probably burnout. It happens. One day you'll find yourself on a marathon session.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Yes, I was getting game fatigue recently...I dug out deus ex human revolution which I enjoyed playing again.

I always do that with games, often pick them up, get bored...then pick them up again after a while and enjoy them much more.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive found the same with games over most of my adult life. Which makes me appreciate when i find a game with a lot of replay value.

Its like now, among other new TV shows im currently re-watching Battlestar Galactica which i havnt seen for over a couple of years, i loved it back in the day, really great story etc.
    Just because there's no good games these days. Im playing Planetside 2 here and there as its the only game that holds my interest.

I cant stand offline games. I quit gaming when i was 16 (now 31) because i got so bored of it, and then online multiplayer games started coming out which brought me back into gaming.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its a symptom of games companies (especially EA) playing it safe and releasing virtually the same game over and over again just with slightly different features etc.

These days indie games are the only areas where there is true originality and interest - otherwise its a choice of halo 15 or Assassins Creed 27
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    I think its a symptom of games companies (especially EA) playing it safe and releasing virtually the same game over and over again just with slightly different features etc.

These days indie games are the only areas where there is true originality and interest - otherwise its a choice of halo 15 or Assassins Creed 27

That must be it then. 3 out of 4 of my new games are sequels including Assassins Creed 3 and Resident Evil 6. Maybe im bored of these franchises.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    I cant stand offline games. I quit gaming when i was 16 (now 31) because i got so bored of it, and then online multiplayer games started coming out which brought me back into gaming.

I'm almost the exact opposite. I can't stand most online games and these days it feels like single player has taken a back seat to online (Call of Duty games is a perfect example)
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That must be it then. 3 out of 4 of my new games are sequels including Assassins Creed 3 and Resident Evil 6. Maybe im bored of these franchises.

I've played Assassins creed 2 right thru and got the platinum, no interest in playing more of the same. Infamous, again played it, enjoyed it but I don't want to play more of the same with infamous 2.

Weird tho because I can play Uncharted games, I guess it depends on the franchise, how well they keep your attention.

I honestly don't know how people can folk out for Fifa and cod year in and year out... I know they enjoy the online and get many hours from it, but they're nearly all the same.
  • GrandPlains206GrandPlains206 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    heyrehair wrote: »
    I don't have enough time in the day to play everything that I want to. I'm having to hold off buying any more games to try and finish what I have already.
    D

Im the same Ive had to stop with buying games I want till i finish my current pile.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm losing interest slightly because I feel the same type of games are being released every year. Plus games seem to be getting shorter and shorter with more and more long winded cut scenes.

I like Real Time Strategy games and the quality in this genre has really dropped.

I would say the quality has increased in the RTS world! What sort of RTS games are you into?

You have the Total War series which is amazing. Shogun 2 is the latest, but Rome and Medieval are awesome, Empire was good, not amazing, but good. New Rome this year as well which will be amazing no doubt.

If you want more war and conflict based ones, let me know.

As for other types, new sim city this year, Anno did one last year that was pretty awesome. Civilization 5 is still pretty awesome, although it has conflict, you can play the game avoiding it all together. RTS isnt as game heavy as say shooters and MMOs, but plenty exist. Even a few online free to play ones are out and about, a handful are pretty good as well.
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go through the odd phase where i can't really get in the mood to play games, it doesn't last long but usually happens when i complete a game. It takes me about a week to get over and then i pick up a game and everything goes back to normal. I worry because i sometimes think i am changing, it's a massive relief when i get back into games again :p
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think i can class myself as a 'gamer' any more :cry:

I have been really in to gaming for as long as i can remember, Nes, Snes, Gameboy, Megadrive, Saturn, Playstation, N64, PS2, 360, WII I have loved them all, but to be honest i played them all for hours and hours up until the end of my PS2, i love my 360 and i think it is a great machine but I have loads of games unfinished for it where i have started them got maybe 3/4 way through then not had time to play them and just left them.

I think its mainly the fact that i work and i have a family etc so not so much time to game, but in the nights when I could stick my 360 on, I end up just watching TV or something of Love film.

This is the first year i haven't bothered to buy FIFA! I used to buy both PES and FIFA (give up on PES a few years ago), but this year just could not see the point in getting FIFA, fed up of just paying for minor tweaks.

But I have pre ordered GTA5 (gutted its not out sooner) really hoping that will get me back in to gaming, hated GTA4 thought it was very poor but that led me to pick up Saints Row 2 which i loved and played that for months even after completing.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all about the games for me at the moment. There has been a lull in innovation when it comes to mainstream titles. Indie games have interested me a lot more over the past few years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    It's all about the games for me at the moment. There has been a lull in innovation when it comes to mainstream titles. Indie games have interested me a lot more over the past few years.

Agreed I also think we all need the new batch of consoles to, i think the PS3 & 360 are great machines but i love the excitement of a new console coming out.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the same OP. However I also blame the lack of quality games at minute and also boredom of the current gen from a technological perspective.

GTA5 could of got me interested greatly again, however it's delay until September has now just got me saving up for the next gen when they release in December onwards. It's going to be a long gaming wait until December.

I might take a punt at Aliens Colonial Marines when it releases next week but a game like this will only keep me interested for a week or so before it starts gathering dust. I'm so bored ATM I'm going back to Skyrim.

We need the next gen of consoles fast because this gen is deader than Richard III's remains.
  • DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had loads of games for my Xbox 360 which I buy, barely touch for about a year, sometimes longer. Eventually I'll pick one of the games up and find it's still in its factory seal, I'll then find myself playing the absolute hell out of it and enjoy it so much that I wonder why I'd never touched it for so long. I did this for Mass Effect, Skyrim, Arkham Asylum and Bayonetta off the top of my head.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    For me its lack of people to play with, Im 19 now and I barely talk to anyone online because I hate talking to little kids shout during games and I can focus more, but I used to have a good few friends years ago who'd all be online and all have the same games and play and have a laugh, now I just play halo/CoD/gears without any friend back up and yet meeting new people online is great (I met some funny guys on gears 3 awhile back) I just play lone wolf now. ehh plus yea Im feeling old like games havent changed much since being 10 apart from online
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    We're at a bit of a transition period in gaming. This usually happens every now and then. The problem with this generation is that it has gone on for a bit longer than ones in the past so more people are dropping off than usual. You still have casuals leaving console gaming for their mobile phones, the hardcore are returning to PC for their "hi-tech" thrills.

In a couple of month when you see 2 bran spanking new consoles with impressif spec and crazy "bells and whistles" you may forget you were ever lacking in interest in gaming at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teh Radge wrote: »
    We're at a bit of a transition period in gaming. This usually happens every now and then. The problem with this generation is that it has gone on for a bit longer than ones in the past so more people are dropping off than usual. You still have casuals leaving console gaming for their mobile phones, the hardcore are returning to PC for their "hi-tech" thrills.

In a couple of month when you see 2 bran spanking new consoles with impressif spec and crazy "bells and whistles" you may forget you were ever lacking in interest in gaming at all.

Agreed.

Come next gen I think I'll be back on the saddle, as at present I don't see any point spending too much money now on what is effectively dead tech. December cannot come round quick enough. :p
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Agreed.

Come next gen I think I'll be back on the saddle, as at present I don't see any point spending too much money now on what is effectively dead tech. December cannot come round quick enough. :p

If all you're buying is games then the general opinion is you'll be able to 'upgrade' those games and play them on the new console.

So, there's no reason to stop buying games (unless you're switching from X-box to PS, or visa versa), if you're enjoying the games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    If all you're buying is games then the general opinion is you'll be able to 'upgrade' those games and play them on the new console.

So, there's no reason to stop buying games (unless you're switching from X-box to PS, or visa versa), if you're enjoying the games.

That is IF the next gens are indeed backwards compatible. However I am not brand loyal so this is something I will have to factor in when upgrading to next gen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    That is IF the next gens are indeed backwards compatible. However I am not brand loyal so this is something I will have to factor in when upgrading to next gen.
    There will be so many pi££sed off people if they are not capable of playing this gen games on the new machines, i know loads of people who have 30+ games they wont be happy if they are basically useless, i can ebay being completly flooded with 360/ps3's in the next couple of months people trying to get rid so they have the £ ready for the new machines
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    See, I don't really see the point of people selling their current gen consoles, keeping hold of their games and assuming that the next generation will be able to play them all.

If you're just selling the hardware, you will only really get around £100 for a PS3 or a 360. By the time these consoles come out, you will have had plenty of time to save up that £100 along with a good portion of thr remaining £200 the new systems are most likely to cost!

My advice is to keep a hold of your PS3s and 360s if you think you're still going to be playing their games in the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teh Radge wrote: »
    See, I don't really see the point of people selling their current gen consoles, keeping hold of their games and assuming that the next generation will be able to play them all.

If you're just selling the hardware, you will only really get around £100 for a PS3 or a 360. By the time these consoles come out, you will have had plenty of time to save up that £100 along with a good portion of thr remaining £200 the new systems are most likely to cost!

My advice is to keep a hold of your PS3s and 360s if you think you're still going to be playing their games in the future.

I think what a lot of people do is try and sell them early with games they no longer play like old FIFA's, Tiger Wood's, WWE games etc keep back their Halo's / call of Duty etc knowing that the value of their current gen machine will drop closer to the release of the new machine.

I am not playing my 360 at the moment but i still wont sell it as i am undecided about which machine i will get next or if i will buy as soon as they are released or wait for the 1st price drop as i have done in the past.