Samsung Galaxy S4

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the S4 needs to be a bit more robust than the S3. I know a lot of people with smashed S3's
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    the S4 needs to be a bit more robust than the S3. I know a lot of people with smashed S3's

That's a weird thing to say! I know many people with many different kinds of smashed phones from iphones to lumia's.

The S3 is perfectly robust until someone drops it!!
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are hard on their phones, some aren't. All phones are breakable. Funnily enough the phone manufacturers don't spend much time making phones drop-proof, because if you break them, they can sell you another one! :D
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Latest news coming in is that it will be unveiled in NYC on March 14th according to Eldar Murtazin, 2 weeks after MWC 13 and released in early-mid April.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/02/18/samsung-to-unveil-the-galaxy-s-iv-on-march-14/
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Hopefully this is a big update.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Hopefully this is a big update.

I cant really see it being a big update. Sure the screen will have more ppis, more megapixels for the camera, hopefully 2MB RAM for the UK market version. It will be 4g enabled, and possibly wireless charging.

Not sure what else it can provide. They wont be using the Octo processor from what I have read. Hopefully I am wrong. To be honest after seeing the Htc One yesterday, I am very tempted to sell my S3 and get that. If you are after a high end phone then you are spoilt for choice, S4, htc One, Lg phone (cant remember the name), Nexus 4, Huawei Ascend P2 to name the ones that come to mind.

If you are after an android phone, the next couple of months are very good news.
    Forum Member
    It will be the form factor that will be the wow factor rather than spec i feel..
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    It will be the form factor that will be the wow factor rather than spec i feel..

Unless they have poached the htc design team, I cant see that.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the HTC launch gaves us a good idea what to expect I think. I'll be looking out for more unique features like Smart Stay and Smart Call, rather than "this is 5% thinner and 12% faster".
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    From a marketing perspective, it will be great! Introducing OCTOCORE!!! We kept him dormant at the bottom of the ocean for millenia, Now we, Samsung have brought him back. Can you handle the power?? Can you??? Cue the Advert with a huge shadow rising behind little iphone hipsters running for their lives, Maiden's Run to the Hills as the soundtrack. .

Haha brilliant :D
    TheBilly wrote: »
    5 inch screen? That's creeping up on the note.

Another 2 inches and you might as well hold an iPad Mini or Nexus 7 to your ear :D
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    Unless they have poached the htc design team, I cant see that.

Eh? :D
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Eh? :D
    Yeah.... lol
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope that the S4 is built properly. My Galaxy Nexus and Note are piles of shit. The S3 and Note 2 are awful as well. Why don't Samsung push the boat out and use ceramic or something that feels good in the hand.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I do hope that the S4 is built properly. My Galaxy Nexus and Note are piles of shit. The S3 and Note 2 are awful as well. Why don't Samsung push the boat out and use ceramic or something that feels good in the hand.

I guess its a trade off between feeling good and actually being durable?

They aren't the same thing. Some like the feel of iphones but chips like buggery. Some like S3 durability but feels "plasticy".
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »

The most shocking thing for me is the iPhone 4s out sold the newer Galaxy S3. Even though the S3 was cheaper on contract in Q4 than the iPhone 4s and the S3 comes with a free Galaxy Tab 7.(Via redemption)
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess its a trade off between feeling good and actually being durable?

They aren't the same thing. Some like the feel of iphones but chips like buggery. Some like S3 durability but feels "plasticy".

I agree that it is nice to have a durable phone - I dropped my GNex on the corner and the only result was a slight scuff which was no problem as I was using the white housing and I have a perfect grey housing as well. I know that if I dropped a Nexus 4 that way it would have cracked. But I still want a Nexus 4 as it is a much nicer object than the GNex or the S3 (and a much better phone as well).

I think Samsung could do something really nice with the type of ceramic used in the automotive industry. It would be super durable and feel really nice. Much better than a plastic fantastic.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    That's a weird thing to say! I know many people with many different kinds of smashed phones from iphones to lumia's.

The S3 is perfectly robust until someone drops it!!

it's not a weird thing to say at all. all phones are robust until that robustness is tested.

of course all phones can break but the S3 seems to break a little too easily.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once got out of my car when I had the Galaxy S3 with it in my hand and basically for some unknown reason threw the thing flying 15ft into the air. Convinced it was going to be destroyed I really did want to pick it up. Imagine my surprise that despite ejecting the back cover and battery down the road it was still in perfect condition lol.

The robustness of a phone is purely down to how it lands when dropped. My sister shattered an iPhone back by literally only dropping it 10inches,
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    That's just the 4th quarter.
    The S3 will have out-sold the iPhone 5 across the whole of 2012.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    That's just the 4th quarter.
    The S3 will have out-sold the iPhone 5 across the whole of 2012.

Well, obviously. The iPhone 5 was only released in late September 2012.

Considering the S3 outsold the iPhone 4S only in Q3, and only by a small margin, it's safe to assume that the 4S outsold the S3 across 2012.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, obviously. The iPhone 5 was only released in late September 2012.
    I know it's obvious but that seemed to be the point the other poster was making.

Considering the S3 outsold the iPhone 4S only in Q3, and only by a small margin, it's safe to assume that the 4S outsold the S3 across 2012.
    I haven't seen figures for the previous quarters, so I can't comment on the year as a whole.
    But, similar to the S3 vs the iPhone 5, given the S3 wasn't on sale the full year and the iPhone 4S was, it would stand to reason the 4S would sell more altogether.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    it's not a weird thing to say at all. all phones are robust until that robustness is tested.

of course all phones can break but the S3 seems to break a little too easily.

Not sure i agree with that to be honest. I dropped my S3 loads and never had a mark on it. However i did drop it down a flight of stairs and that sealed its fate! But any phone would have broken the way i dropped it.

My Mrs is the most hopeless person with phones and regularly drops her S3 and that again has not a mark on it.

I had to get a new back for my S3 as it was damaged when got it. I tried to snap the old back and it just wouldnt. It bent from end to end but didnt once crack.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the shock that the iPhone outsold the S3 (or not)? If I want to go Apple I have a choice of two phones. If I want to go Android I have the choice of god knows how many, at all manner of prices.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is the shock that the iPhone outsold the S3 (or not)? If I want to go Apple I have a choice of two phones. If I want to go Android I have the choice of god knows how many, at all manner of prices.

Apple is a handset maker and Android is an operating system.