Glee S5 (UK Pace/Spolier Free)

LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
Forum Member
✭✭
I know what you're thinking.. why set up a thread for Season 5 when there's a perfectly good US Pace one?

Well while we maybe on the same pace at the moment, we may slip behind and also, even though they are using spoiler tags in the US one, I kind of like avoiding things as much as possible. I maybe in the minority on that, but I hope there are some who would rather see everything 'live' rather than knowing what may happen. So that's why I called it UK/Spoiler free. :)

###

I thought 'Love, Love, Love' was a great season opener, and all the songs were done really well in that well known Glee style.
My favorite had to be 'Help'. Seeing all the other groups get together was a great trick. And just when I thought it couldn't get any better we had 'All You Need Is Love/He Loves You' and that proposal!

I know last season I said that Blaine should forget Kurt after the way he was, but to be honest they seem to have written a way around that issue in a remarkably quick conversation between Blaine, Kurt and then Burt.

I was so glad he said yes. I was dreading it being another overly dramatic cliffhanger.. that Glee does oh so well.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for a uk pace thread :)

I enjoyed the opener, glad it's back. I'm a little bored of Kurt and Blaine now, that whole bit with the other clubs helping with the proposal was just baffling

I actually love Marley and can't wait to see more of her this season. Rachel and Santana in New York were brilliant

A few little annoyances: Blaine looking like he's always singing (which could be said for Rachel as well I guess) and Kurt's singing face where he looks like he has no teeth
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated it. Blaine's cheesy defence of his planned proposal to Kurt was just awful - I thought they'd decided they were too young last season? His casual quip about Russia was ill thought out - after the moving and sensitive gun episode last year I thought they would be a bit better than that.

Evil Kitty and Artie is just the same old misfit/cool kid forbidden love boredom again.

And Rachel, a first year college student, even getting an audition for Funny Girl was far fetched enough - are we now going to be led to believe she's won the part based on a bad karaoke performance of a Beatles song with a range of about 5 notes in a theme restaurant? I do hope not but am not optimistic.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    I actually love Marley and can't wait to see more of her this season. Rachel and Santana in New York were brilliant
    She was really underused this ep, but then I guess she'll be the focus in plenty of others.

She was hilarious when the boys did their "I Saw Her Standing There" number. Which btw had pretty decent Scouse accents (for Americans).
    I hated it. Blaine's cheesy defence of his planned proposal to Kurt was just awful - I thought they'd decided they were too young last season?
    I believe so, but I get the feeling that the fan reaction to the sloppy breakup plot combined with the need to probably wrap their arc up before seasons end led to this proposal plot.

Hopefully the wedding will give us some cheerful and lighthearted episodes in what is bound to be an emotional season.
    His casual quip about Russia was ill thought out - after the moving and sensitive gun episode last year I thought they would be a bit better than that.
    I didn't see that myself, in fact it was totally in character of Blaine to mention Russia. Its quite a prominent story, and more so as we head towards February.

It was a throwaway comment, thankfully not done like a PSA.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    A bit subdued for a season opener, but pleasantly surprised about the way they weaved in the Beatles numbers .... I Saw Her Standing There the fun highlight for me. Unfortunate, considering, that they didn't seem to realise Got to Get You Into My Life is about Paul discovering the joys of recreational drugs...

Santana and Rachel's non-dance routine on the bar made me miss Brittany, even though she was way overused last series. No one dances on tables like Brittana.

Glad to see Artie and Kitty get some serious up front and centre time, though wish they'd spun their quite charming romance over a few episodes. It's actually the lack of any sparky plot lines, the ditching of most of the unfinished dramas from S4 (Didn't Ryder leave Glee?) and the retreads (Sue/Figgins etc) that makes me think the whole thing's looking a bit past its sell-by date.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I didn't know that about 'Got to Get You Into My Life'... I'm more familiar with the Earth Wind and Fire version if I'm honest. Still it was a decent enough cover - the use of the marching band was brilliant IMO.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    ^I didn't know that about 'Got to Get You Into My Life'... I'm more familiar with the Earth Wind and Fire version if I'm honest. Still it was a decent enough cover - the use of the marching band was brilliant IMO.

Ah, can't get enough of the Marching Band, but again missed Brittana strutting their stuff alongside (Four Minutes, Girls Run the World) ..... must. let. go. :(:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I noticed Brittany was missing from the proposal, (not really a surprise as she's probably on maternity) but also notably absent was Carol Huson-Hummel. You'd think she'd be with Burt as her stepson gets engaged.

I know I'm totally doing that nerdy fan thing....
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Burt still a Congressman?

He never has any staff with him. A congressman's gay son would be a political story for Murphy to get all preachy with
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glee 5.01 Love, Love, Love

A brilliant start to the new season. Great production and choreography on all the songs, and when you have such a legendary band as the Beatles back catelogue to go through, there's not going to be a duff one. Schu was quite right, two weeks is needed to do the band justice. Rachel and Santana singing A Hard Days Night to impress the Funny Girl production was probably my favourite, but Help and All You Need Is Love were both done brilliantly as well.

Glossing over Finn entirely was probably the right thing to do, the audience knows what the deal is, and any lame mention of "Finn couldn't be here today because he's wherever" would have jarred. The tone and performances of the show haven't been diminished, and when you consider how quickly after Cory's death this was all done, that's good to see. If anything, it had more energy than normal. Some episodes/songs in S4 lacked this, but they really made this season opener massive, and I really hope they keep the standard up for part two next week, because I really loved this.

Look how much Kitty has grown as a character from last years season opener to this, and like a lot of people have said, I wish they had kept the secret going until next week at least, cos it was fun. I'm glad Sue is back, but the thing with Figgins was juvenile and predictable. Which is consistant at least.

Loved that they bought so many past moments back (the deaf choir even had the same coach), and the injokes and decent lines continued. This really was Glee at it's best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Is Burt still a Congressman?

He never has any staff with him. A congressman's gay son would be a political story for Murphy to get all preachy with
    I would imagine he is still a Congressman. I guess plot wise its not that much of a story to push. Isn't Dick Cheney's daughter a lesbian?
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    A brilliant start to the new season. Great production and choreography on all the songs, and when you have such a legendary band as the Beatles back catelogue to go through, there's not going to be a duff one.
    Agreed. Having great music, as opposed to just good music, has a great impact on the episodes. Add to that the fact that a lot of the songs seems to fit exactly the moments they were sung in which only adds to the story telling, rather than some of Glee's past songs that are just sung for the sake of it.

Kind of makes me hope they do a Queen two-parter.
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    Loved that they bought so many past moments back (the deaf choir even had the same coach), and the injokes and decent lines continued.
    The Deaf School had the best joke of the ep. "oh no its them McKinley nerds" :D
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine he is still a Congressman. I guess plot wise its not that much of a story to push. Isn't Dick Cheney's daughter a lesbian?

She is yeah. I just don't see the point of making Burt a congressman then completely ignoring it!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    She is yeah. I just don't see the point of making Burt a congressman then completely ignoring it!

It's just an example of the poor writing that Glee often suffers from.
  • Soaps Addict!!Soaps Addict!! Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a fan of Glee since the show began and tbh wasn't sure what to expect when it came to the start of this season as I wasn't as excited for it as I normally would have been but I have to say after watching the first episode back I'm kinda glad I did, it was a great episode back to start the season off with, I think it's probably what we needed from the start of the season with the first 2 eps especially considering episode 3 is gonna probably be one of those episodes which will be hard and sad to watch but on a happy note I'm glad to have Glee back on our screens! :)
  • Mer~maidMer~maid Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Rachel singing Yesterday as the opener had me in tears :(
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    What day is this on? I am at US pace at the moment but always like to have it recorded on sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What day is this on? I am at US pace at the moment but always like to have it recorded on sky.

Friday 8pm

I'm hoping the unanswered questions from last season (Ryder supposedly leaving, Joe and Sugar disappearing again) get answered
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I can see them dealing with the Ryder question, but I'm not so sure they'll mention Joe or even Sugar. IIRC they never explained where Matt Rutherford went.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^I can see them dealing with the Ryder question, but I'm not so sure they'll mention Joe or even Sugar. IIRC they never explained where Matt Rutherford went.

Ah Matt... I'm currently watching the season 1 repeats of a morning on E4 and i'd forgotten all about him :D

I couldn't help but notice Blake Jenner had been promoted from guest character, so it's looking like Ryder (thankfully) changes his mind!
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They did, Mr Shu said in Ep1 of S2 that Matt had transferred, he was never mentioned again though, poor guy :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ooh haha I must've missed that.

Here's a question (I think we're safe for no spoilers as they're not that far ahead in the States). Season 5 will have the shows hundredth episode - what do you think we'll get? I suppose it could be the wedding, or maybe they'll try and do something else?
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 100th episode will be 5x12. On the basis that they're only going to have 8 or 9 episodes before the winter hiatus, and then Glee doesn't return until (approx) mid-April next year, that means the 12th episode would hit some time next May (also within the sweeps period on US TV), but they'll only be midway through the season. I don't expect them to have the Kurt-Blaine wedding until season 6. That's still looking like it's going to be the final season for Glee - the big gay wedding event will be a major draw in that season. Also, because they're drawing out the school year in this season, Blaine will have barely graduated high school by 512 - I'm expecting graduation to be the last episode before the winter hiatus, 508 or so. That's just a bit early for a wedding - they really need to milk the whole 'fiancés planning a wedding' comedy of errors for quite a while yet!

For the 100th episode, I'd love to see them break out of the normal Glee locations, and try something a little different. Maybe go abroad - selfishly, I'd love them in London - and do a big location episode. After all, what's stopping the (presumably by that point) two-time National Show Choir Champions from competing in an International competition?! Perhaps try and score some mega-guests - Meryl Streep, Paul McCartney, the sky's the limit really! They just need to ask the right people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »
    Also, because they're drawing out the school year in this season, Blaine will have barely graduated high school by 512

Speaking of which, sorry if it's painfully obvious/already been mentioned but where exactly does this season star? I'm guessing it's still April or May time as there was no nationals or end of the school year?
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    Speaking of which, sorry if it's painfully obvious/already been mentioned but where exactly does this season star? I'm guessing it's still April or May time as there was no nationals or end of the school year?

Considering this week is Prom, it's safe to assume that this is where the normal episode 19/20 point is. So yeah, April.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »
    I don't expect them to have the Kurt-Blaine wedding until season 6.

Hmm I don't know if postponing it that long will work out. Surely stringing it out will just make it annoying to a lot of folk?

Maybe we'll get the wedding by the end of S5? They need to let us know, I've got to buy a hat and everything! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I have to say I didn't enjoy this weeks as much as lasts. Just seemed to lack something (and no I'm not talking about the fact Blaine was hardly in it! :p)

Songs were average, reflecting perhaps my personal taste/opinion that the earlier Beatles songs were better.