Why is this selling for so high?

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    probably some attempt at shill bidding or just hoping that apple buyers are famous for what they have...more money than sense
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »

I'm guessing it's the work of bidding addicts. Why pay over £4,000 for a MacBook Pro when you can get one from the Apple site for a lot cheaper and new?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I love Macs but that particular Mac would have to be gold plated or or signed personally by His Cookness to be worth that much :p
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the bid history, everything was fine until some eejit put 2980 against it, probably thinking that no one would be crazy enough to bid up to that amount and that the bid would win for certain... then some other eejit (new to ebay) puts down 4 grand against it again thinking it was theirs for certain... then eejit No. 1 sees this, thinks, f%&^ it, out bids the 4 grand eejit, item sold, seller laughing all the way to the bank.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »
    seller laughing all the way to the bank.

Only if they actually pay up
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    [highlight]Next time on Storage Hunters![/highlight]

:eek: flamarnaamanana.. all in fair waaaarn...

SOLD your way for fourty-one-hundred!

"Oh my God I told you to stop bidding. What the hell is wrong with you?" :mad:
    "No you know what I have a feeling about this, I think we got a really good deal on this one" :cool:
    "Yeah you guys can sort out your online banking with it - oh wait you aint got no money anymore cos you spent it on that junk" :p
    "DONT NUDGE ME BRO" :mad:
    < random train noise >
    "OK everybody chill. Green Mile, get these guys outta here"
    "The guy nudged me Sean!!!"
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zapod wrote: »
    Looking at the bid history, everything was fine until some eejit put 2980 against it, probably thinking that no one would be crazy enough to bid up to that amount and that the bid would win for certain... then some other eejit (new to ebay) puts down 4 grand against it again thinking it was theirs for certain... then eejit No. 1 sees this, thinks, f%&^ it, out bids the 4 grand eejit, item sold, seller laughing all the way to the bank.

the £2980 was bidded automatically according to ebay before the £4000 bid , something not right there .
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    It'll be two Nigerian bidders working together/same person.

The winner will ask for it to be sent to Africa. The idea being that it's enough money to tempt them despite knowing better.
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    Possibly due to the 21 months warranty that comes with it. but still not worth that much
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Kargo wrote: »
    Possibly due to the 21 months warranty that comes with it. but still not worth that much

It has the retail price in the ad.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's the work of bidding addicts. Why pay over £4,000 for a MacBook Pro when you can get one from the Apple site for a lot cheaper and new?

I only paid £1249 for my Macbook Pro back in 2010. I still love it :D Macs are great! Not sure I'd spend £4000 on one though unless it was a maxed out Mac Pro . Of course, if I won the lottery I wouldn't care how much I spent on another new shiny Mac :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only paid £1249 for my Macbook Pro back in 2010. I still love it :D Macs are great! Not sure I'd spend £4000 on one though unless it was a maxed out Mac Pro . Of course, if I won the lottery I wouldn't care how much I spent on another new shiny Mac :p

So you'd happily fork out £10,000+ for a new Mac? If so, why? Even if I won the lottery I'd still wouldn't go above £2,500 on a computer package.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    So you'd happily fork out £10,000+ for a new Mac? If so, why? Even if I won the lottery I'd still wouldn't go above £2,500 on a computer package.

If it was a totally maxed out Mac Pro then yes. I'd do it because I wouldn't have to worry about not affording it after winning the lottery and it would be a computer I would have hopefully for years and years :D
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re silly prices - I often see stuff on the bay or Amazon where they have added a zero ie 10X the real price. I reckon it's chancers hoping someone won't notice and they'll make a killing. I was looking on Amazon to see if my trusty old Core2Quad was still available (it is - Q9400 around £170) and I saw one going for £1700 !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Processor-Q9400-LGA775-Socket/dp/B001DO1Q1O/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1380105563&sr=1-8&keywords=q9400

and that ad was from a firm I have bought goods from.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    re silly prices - I often see stuff on the bay or Amazon where they have added a zero ie 10X the real price. I reckon it's chancers hoping someone won't notice and they'll make a killing...
    More likely it's because they have low/no stock, and adjusting the price to something ridiculous cost them less in time/fees than unlisting and relisting the item.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    re silly prices - I often see stuff on the bay or Amazon where they have added a zero ie 10X the real price. I reckon it's chancers hoping someone won't notice and they'll make a killing. I was looking on Amazon to see if my trusty old Core2Quad was still available (it is - Q9400 around £170) and I saw one going for £1700 !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Processor-Q9400-LGA775-Socket/dp/B001DO1Q1O/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1380105563&sr=1-8&keywords=q9400

and that ad was from a firm I have bought goods from.

The price they're wanting for that processor would be enough to build an extremely fast computer. I'm surprised someone with enough knowledge to build a computer would fall for that.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because people who buy Macs are stupid, so they can over charge beyond belief for what is essentially a pretty off white case and the amazing locked down trash fest that is itunes.

A fool and his money are easily parted.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    So I take it you've used Macs in the past and or used iTunes on a Mac os, Still not as bad as Windows 8 or Vista though.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I take it you've used Macs in the past and or used iTunes on a Mac os, Still not as bad as Windows 8 or Vista though.

Windows Vista was something of a nightmare, and Windows 8 looks like it might be the death blow Microsoft so badly deserves.

And yeah, I had to use a Mac for work a lot, I say used, I could barely run anything on the closed pile of junk. The whole "it works" is mostly down to hardly anything worthwhile being on the system.

I dont know why people buy macs, just buy a computer and stick your own OS on it. (sadly, as much as I would love to not have to use the abortion that is windows, a lot of my work related programs are only coded on windows, so I am locked in. Moment gaming and my work related programs open up on linux, I would drop Windows 7 like a hot turd)

If you ever doubt me on macs being over priced, just go to any PC building site (arbico or whoever) and match up the internal parts and just weep at how much cheaper it is to buy the parts yourself. And its only as hard as lego to put the computer together, all the plugs are pretty simple to work out (6 pin into six pin, Sata into Sata, they all have a unique and simple look to them)