The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Actually its TONIGHT & TOMORROW it continues right across.

So if EastEnders doesn't get a boost for these episodes then Christmas Day will be very tough for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    I think tonight's episode is the real test. If it does well then EE should be fine for Christmas if it doesn't then it's curtains.

Ken

I agree. If EastEnders doesn't rise tonight then it won't be rising on Christmas Day.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I agree. If EastEnders doesn't rise tonight then it won't be rising on Christmas Day.
    Why? The last Thursday of late night shopping/Late xmas parties VS xmas day when many are home. Ithink Monday will quite a nice boost and tonight will see something and perhaps a high peak in the last 10mins.Theres nothing tosay EastEnders wont see its big boost on Xmas eve and beyond
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newsround currently reporting on the end of CBBC on BBC1 afternoons and states that five times as many kids watch kids' shows on the CBBC channel than on BBC1.

Hassaan13, when you report of the ratings for kids shows on BBC1 against those on CBBC, you're reporting all viewers and for kids' shows, it's kids who matter to the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »

Eastenders will rise on Christmas Day, whatever happens tonight. It may not rise as high as last year (overnight rating 9.9m) and it may lose to Downton (overnight 8.6m) but it will rise. Normal rules of television don't apply on Christmas Day. Viewing habits are considerably different.
  • Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Newsround currently reporting on the end of CBBC on BBC1 afternoons and states that five times as many kids watch kids' shows on the CBBC channel than on BBC1.

Hassaan13, when you report of the ratings for kids shows on BBC1 against those on CBBC, you're reporting all viewers and for kids' shows, it's kids who matter to the BBC.

Wow. Just watched last Newsround on BBC One. The end of an era... though a children's slot is no longer viable in ratings terms, it is a sad day for those of us with fond memories coming home from school in the 1980s and 1990s.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Sport will be delighted with Arsenal and Man U's rivals in the second round of the ECL. Should Man U in particular become a cliffhanger, then ratings should be very high.
    However, this is a poisoned chalice as if both teams, and Celtic, go out, then the ECL will become another Tuesday flopzone candidate. Yet for now ITV must be delighted with the draw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay Lee wrote: »
    Wow. Just watched last Newsround on BBC One. The end of an era... though a children's slot is no longer viable in ratings terms, it is a sad day for those of us with fond memories coming home from school in the 1980s and 1990s.

I think there are plans to show the occasional kids show on BBC1 or BBC2 in various slots. And the BBC are very good at cross-channel promotion (and radio shows get promoted on TV and TV shows get promoted on radio).

Newsround says 1.8m kids watch CBBC at some point during the week. What percentage of all kids is this, does anyone know?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    ITV Sport will be delighted with Arsenal and Man U's rivals in the second round of the ECL. Should Man U in particular become a cliffhanger, then ratings should be very high.
    However, this is a poisoned chalice as if both teams, and Celtic, go out, then the ECL will become another Tuesday flopzone candidate. Yet for now ITV must be delighted with the draw.

Remember, they'll only get one leg of each fixture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember, they'll only get one leg of each fixture.

Yet should it be the Man U second leg with a scoreline of 2-2 from the first round, then it will be 7 million tuning in.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wednesday 19th December 2012 - Children 4 to 15
    BBC One
    15:05 - Show Me What You're Made Of: 11k (2.9%)
    15:35 - What's New Scooby Doo / Shaun the Sheep: 47k (5.3%)
    16:05 - Help! My Supply Teacher Is Magic: 71k (5.0%)
    16:35 - Rocket Island: 61k (3.6%)
    17:05 - Newsround: 107k (5.6%)

CBBC
    15:00 - Horrible Histories: 49k (13.0%)
    15:30 - Roy: 152k (18.1%)
    16:00 - Tracy Beaker Returns: 200k (14.3%)
    16:30 - Sadie J: 182.5k (10.8%)

CITV
    15:20 - Kung Fu Dino Posse: 35k (6.1%)
    15:45 - Dino Dan: 49k (4.9%)
    16:00 - Horrid Henry: 67k (5.3%)
    16:15 - Horrid Henry: 125k (8.1%)
    16:30 - Almost Naked Animals: 109k (6.9%)
    16:45 - Almost Naked Animals: 117k (6.5%)

Have used the 15-minute intervals for the ratings above.

CBBC in the demographic thrashing BBC One, whilst CITV is alongside BBC One as well. Pretty easy to see why the decision was taken.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course EE will go up on Christmas Day, it always does from wherever it was in the run up.

Even GeorgeS watches on Christmas Day... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? The last Thursday of late night shopping/Late xmas parties VS xmas day when many are home. Ithink Monday will quite a nice boost and tonight will see something and perhaps a high peak in the last 10mins.Theres nothing tosay EastEnders wont see its big boost on Xmas eve and beyond

But they've plugged this show as a big deal. It should have some sort of boost. If it doesn't it'll be disappointing.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Wednesday 19th December 2012 - Children 4 to 15
    BBC One
    15:05 - Show Me What You're Made Of: 11k (2.9%)
    15:35 - What's New Scooby Doo / Shaun the Sheep: 47k (5.3%)
    16:05 - Help! My Supply Teacher Is Magic: 71k (5.0%)
    16:35 - Rocket Island: 61k (3.6%)
    17:05 - Newsround: 107k (5.6%)

CBBC
    15:00 - Horrible Histories: 49k (13.0%)
    15:30 - Roy: 152k (18.1%)
    16:00 - Tracy Beaker Returns: 200k (14.3%)
    16:30 - Sadie J: 182.5k (10.8%)

CITV
    15:20 - Kung Fu Dino Posse: 35k (6.1%)
    15:45 - Dino Dan: 49k (4.9%)
    16:00 - Horrid Henry: 67k (5.3%)
    16:15 - Horrid Henry: 125k (8.1%)
    16:30 - Almost Naked Animals: 109k (6.9%)
    16:45 - Almost Naked Animals: 117k (6.5%)

Have used the 15-minute intervals for the ratings above.

CBBC in the demographic thrashing BBC One, whilst CITV is alongside BBC One as well. Pretty easy to see why the decision was taken.

Thanks D.M.N that justifies the decision. Quite worrying how many adults watch kids TV on BBC One! Do they not know that there are other channels!

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One felt obliged to keep kids shows going until the digital switchover was complete as it was unfair on non digital households. Now this has happened, it seems pointless to have them on BBC One and CBBC, esp as they are dragging the main channel's audience down so much. Also it wouldn't surprise me if BBC One, whose elderly following is quite large, now take on DOND for the favours of older viewers. Could DOND, whose ratings are falling, be sunk by a stronger BBC One line up?
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    BBC One felt obliged to keep kids shows going until the digital switchover was complete as it was unfair on non digital households. Now this has happened, it seems pointless to have them on BBC One and CBBC, esp as they are dragging the main channel's audience down so much. Also it wouldn't surprise me if BBC One, whose elderly following is quite large, now take on DOND for the favours of older viewers. Could DOND, whose ratings are falling, be sunk by a stronger BBC One line up?

Would that be DOND vs Flog it! They also have Perfection.

Not a stunting schedule but it will do well for them.

Ken
    Forum Member
    EastEnders is trending on twitter already so it's got people talking at least
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly story of the day, I know, but C4 News was getting closer to 700k last time I remember seeing its ratings reported here. Considering they've had a really big week (Plebgate scoop), that's a disappointing number.

More people watched the 5pm News on Channel 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4, prime time seems adrift. People are not being drawn to it.

My own opinion is the talent is now stale. And the formats are just them having middleclass self indulgent 'adventures'. Making Christmas, going wild, Creating huge food... whatever... I'm not drawn to it and neither are the viewers.

Considering the amount spent on these big talent formats, compared to the docs that go out at 10pm, there is no bang for the buck. The documentaries are within touching distance of them or above in viewing figures, and get a better share.

20:00 - Kirstie's Vintage Christmas: 1.28m (5.7%) , +1: 173k
    21:00 - Heston's Fantastical Christmas: 1.58m (6.7%) , +1: 243k
    22:00 - The Twins Who Share A Body: 1.34m (7.4%) , +1: 191k

Agree - their 'lifestyle and leisure' faces no longer feel fresh, and the ones they've recently poached, eg Mary Portas and Jimmy Doherty, haven't brought big audiences with them. Can't see Hilary Devey being ther answer either.

I've been saying for some time that C4 is in a mess, both commissioning-wise and scheduling-wise. But somehow it manages to escape the flak that ITV gets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders is trending on twitter already so it's got people talking at least

That's a bit desperate, Dan.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twitter is not a good way to measure ratings as we seen from the ITV show, Take Me Out :D
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Eastenders last 6 months' main storyline has all been building up to tonight's episode. If with all the build up and promotion BBC has been giving this episode, Eastenders cant get 8.5million that will be a bad rating.
    Forum Member
    Bushmills wrote: »
    That's a bit desperate, Dan.
    Not at all, If people are talking about it.....

EastEnders is top UK Trend and has 5 others tonight
    and one worldwide.

Im hoping for at least 8million but I feel it will fall short (Just)

BBC3 might see a nice boost but I think the officials could be pretty high
  • dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter was eastenders mad tonight. I'm hoping for high ratings, but I think 8-8.5million will be the highest.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    I must say I don't think I can stomach another telethon this year!

4m I reckon for Text Santa.

Ken

I agree that Text Santa will get about 4m. I think it is only in its second year and it could grow from year to year. It definitely is getting alot more promotion this year and could have a good feeling around it during the festive season.

I felt that the Eastenders episode tonight was a bit of a let down. I can't see it drawing alot of viewers back in but it should rate near 9m anyway.
This discussion has been closed.