Magnum PI to Return on ITV 4

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
Forum Member
✭✭
For those fan of loud shirts and Tom Selleck.

Magnum PI is back as of 4 pm Monday 22nd July.

It would appear they are going right back to the original pilot.

This shows takes me back, the roar of that sports car, the thickness of Tom 'tash, damn now that was a real man.:rolleyes:

Okay it was a silly show with a plot that you could drive a tanker truck through but it was fun and it was also the first time that a programme on TV presented a Vietnam vet who wasn't damaged or demented.

For those who don't recall the basic plot line, Thomas Magnum is a retired US navy officer working as a private investigator in Hawaii. He lives at Robins Nest the holiday home of Robin Masters a successful writer who hardly ever visits the islands, almost rent free, and enjoys a life in the sun. I think his life view can come down to the fact he says in a voice over that he hit 33 years old then realised he was never 23. So he is having fun and doing all the things we all wish we could do.

His work as PI normally involves the classic damsel in distress while comic light relief comes in the form of Higgins the estate manager at Robins Nest a ex British Army NCO who with his dogs try to keep Magnum and his no good friends in line.

If you've never seen it give the show a go and if you, like me have seen it, then break out the long necked beer and wallow in a great bit of TV.

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For those fan of loud shirts and Tom Selleck.

Magnum PI is back as of 4 pm Monday 22nd July.

It would appear they are going right back to the original pilot.

This shows takes me back, the roar of that sports car, the thickness of Tom 'tash, damn now that was a real man.:rolleyes:

Okay it was a silly show with a plot that you could drive a tanker truck through but it was fun and it was also the first time that a programme on TV presented a Vietnam vet who wasn't damaged or demented.

For those who don't recall the basic plot line, Thomas Magnum is a retired US navy officer working as a private investigator in Hawaii. He lives at Robins Nest the holiday home of Robin Masters a successful writer who hardly ever visits the islands, almost rent free, and enjoys a life in the sun. I think his life view can come down to the fact he says in a voice over that he hit 33 years old then realised he was never 23. So he is having fun and doing all the things we all wish we could do.

His work as PI normally involves the classic damsel in distress while comic light relief comes in the form of Higgins the estate manager at Robins Nest a ex British Army NCO who with his dogs try to keep Magnum and his no good friends in line.

If you've never seen it give the show a go and if you, like me have seen it, then break out the long necked beer and wallow in a great bit of TV.

That's good news. I thought they were going to show it when they showed an episode the other week on ITV3, but it was a cross over episode with Murder She Wrote.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It follows after Kojak so I shall be watching both.
  • P.RamleeP.Ramlee Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aside from the Ferrari, as a kid, I always thought Higgins' Audi 200 was such a cool car at the time.

Ah, memories of the 80s.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First episode tonight with a repeat tomorrow morning at 10 am.

The last time I remember this show was on TV was about six/seven years back on Channel 5 and started I think with the Ugliest Dog episode (I have no idea why I remember this)

Magnum ran for about 160 episodes in total so if they run through the whole lot it should take the best part of year to broadcast them all. Okay the last season or so was a little limp here and there and the best shows where in the first couple of season (on the whole in MHO) but still it was a great show and the bonus of Kojak and you can't complain.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But the important question, and one that was never properly answered was....

Is Higgins really Robin Masters??
  • ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Don't hold your breath for ITV4 rattling through all the episodes quickly. They've been showing Cheers sequentially since last November and keep pulling it to show sport, including six or seven weeks off for the IPL cricket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quiet right.

I've checked my extended guide and Magnum will run for a total of 11 episodes from season one by the look of it (there where 18 in total) then have sports. But if they do as with Cheers and then continue with episode 12 I won't mind, even if there is gap of a few weeks.
  • ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    looks like episode 5 of season1 is being missed out - i'm guessing to do with the subject matter (IRA), but it's going from episode 4 on Thursday to episode 6 on Friday... I'm guessing both Magnum and Kojak are edited slightly - they were about 47/48 mins in length when first shown, ITV4's progs are normally 44 mins in length?
  • ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    And unlike Cheers, Magnum isn't available on itvplayer
  • PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    But the important question, and one that was never properly answered was....

Is Higgins really Robin Masters??

We will never know but i think he is !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was the running gag as the series went on.

So the big question is who is the Orson Welles sounding guy in the Rolls Royce and on the phone every so often in the early seasons plus Magnum was suppose to know Masters so I think the script writers just adapted the story arc to fit what the viewers wanted.

Personnally I can't wait until we meet Higgins half brothers they are always fun.

And it would appear they are only hanging fire on Magnum for one day for motor sports then he's back so yippee!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The more famous Magnum opening music wasn't used until episode 12 of Season 1