The Peter Davison Era

12346»

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Cybermen supposedly had no emotions, but they sure liked a bit of bondage.....;):D

But since they all broke out separately it was autoroboticism. :)
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That story wasn't Terminus was it? I could undertstand it if it was.....

Thinking about it I actually think it could have been! :rolleyes: Nothing really 'wrong' with it as such but just boring as Hell.

In fairness, as you say, Davison did have his moments where he could lift things, mostly late on in his run. The face to face moment with Sheraz Jek is one of the most thrilling moments in Doctor Who history. Perhaps he just wasn't given enough to work with, as you say. And maybe he took too long to find his feet, so that by the time he was really making the Doctor 'his' he was leaving. He was better in that third series.

It's a good point about Davison being a more reserved character than a lot of the other Doctors, especially Tom Baker, though... trying to be loud or brash would have been wrong for him. But Patrick Troughton was a reserved character too and yet he still managed to make his Doctor charismatic in a quiet way, whilst still being introverted. Davison always seemed to have that put upon aspect to him, coming across as grumpy without being endearing or romantic with it; more like a moaning Brit on holiday. I understand that because he had Tegan constantly carping at him and Turlough trying to kill him :p but I do miss the joi d'vivre of other doctors whilst watching him.

Pertwee is quite different to most of the Doctors I agree, but I always find his pomposity terribly amusing, especially when they prick it (and pomposity is one of the Doctor's characteristics, in most incarnations). He had his own thing going on, his own kind of character moments and he could be very humorous whilst ostensibly playing straight. The scenes in the chateau (or whatever the building was) in Day of the Daleks where he's supping with Jo Grant for example are the only brilliant things about that story. That has me roaring with laughter. And it wouldn't be funny with any of the other Doctors 'playing up' the moment (check out David Tennant's excruciating 'drunken Doctor' scene in The Girl in the Fireplace for example). In many ways I think he's the most similar Doctor to Davison, in that they were both sourpusses, but Pertwee is entertaining with it. Often I think he's the best thing in the story (not as often as the Brig is though).
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cybermen first broke through plastic in Tomb of the Cybermen and discovered they liked it, so from then on they kept wrapping themselves in it at every opportunity so they could break out again. :)

Ohh err missus! :D:D
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having become a fan with Rose in 2005, I'd never really watched any Classic Who up until recently when I decided to start watching starting with Castrovalva (not entirely sure why I decided to start here. I think I'll go back and watch the Pertwee and Tom Baker eras later once I've finished the McCoy era)
    Anyway, now having finished the Davison and Colin Baker eras (and being close to finishing the McCoy era), I feel that Peter Davison is my second favourite Doctor after Matt Smith. I really enjoyed the majority of his stories.
    Anyway, my vote would have to go to Season 21 as Davison's best.
    I really enjoyed Warriors of the Deep and I'm not really sure why it's hated so much amongst fans.
    I'm not totally sure why, but I loved The Awakening. There's just something about the ancient Malus slowly waking up and breaking through a crack in a wall which makes this episode brilliant.
    Frontios was a half decent story, but nothing to write home about.
    Resurrection of the Daleks was also a really enjoyable episode and I don't think the Daleks were used badly at all.
    Planet of Fire is another enjoyable episode (not just because of Peri in a bikini)
    And finally The Caves of Androzani is one of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever.

Added to this, I quite like Turlough as a companion and Tegan was much less irritating in this season. Her departure scene was also fantastic.

...Oh, I almost forgot...then there's The Twin Dilemma...and the less said about it the better...
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Davison as the Doctor just makes me happy whenever I watch him. :)
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Baker is my favourite Doctor, yet despite this, it's Peter Davison whose stories I tend re-watch the most.

Enlightenment, Mawdryn Undead, Earthshock, Castrovalva and Black Orchid are probably my favourites. Strange as it may seem to some I've never been that keen on Caves Of Adrozani, which possibly puts me in a very small minority of fans.