Netflix quality problem

barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm having a problem with the Netflix on the Wii U. It will only stream videos in SD which looks very poor but I should have HD since I have a HDMI connection. There doesn't seem to be any video quality settings anywhere so I have no idea how to change the videos to HD. Does anyone have any clue what the problem is? Thanks.

Comments

• samtmansamtman Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How good is your Internet connection. It increases the quality based on your broadband speed. Also some programs are not available in hd so depends on what you are watching.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samtman wrote: »
    How good is your Internet connection. It increases the quality based on your broadband speed. Also some programs are not available in hd so depends on what you are watching.

I made sure to only pick programs that were available in HD, but would still say "Low/SD" for video quality. Our broadband isn't great, but we have a wireless receiver right beside the Wii U which makes the connection much better.

I noticed when I manually choose a position and the small screen appears, that screen is in HD. Youtube has the same problem. No option to select video quality and automatically shows it in SD, yet if you go on Youtube through the internet browser, then the Wii U does play it in HD and gives you the option to select the quality.

So I'm confused as to why there is no option to choose the video quality and why Netflix won't play anything in HD when the Wii U can evidently play videos in HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    There are 3 quality settings to choose from on the Netflix website.
    Log in and go to 'Your Account' and then click 'Manage video quality' and make sure that 'Best' is selected. Then when you go back to the Wii U (or other console) you should see an improvement (press select / back / - to check the quality once the stream has been running a little while).

Handy to know especially if you are tied to a monthly download limit with your ISP, you can drop the quality to save a bit of bandwidth!