Worst shampoo for your hair?

modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If I use Herbal Essences, my hair's dripping with grease after half a day. If I use Aussie, my hair turns to straw after a few days. Fructis makes my hair dull and limp.

However, Elvive is really good for my hair, so I use it as often as I can now.

What shampoos/conditioners are hell on your hair? Brands work differently for different hair, so I'm intrigued. :-)

Comments

• BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elvive is awful for me!
    Aussie is amazing, makes it all smooth :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    Aussie shampoos are awful however; I LOVE the conditioners, they make my hair really soft and smooth.

L'Oreal Elvive, the pink pearl one wrecked my hair with one use. Took me weeks and weeks to get it back to normal. Left it strawlike and a tangled mess.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Pantene shampoos render my hair greasy within hours.

Herbal Essences smell lovely but that's about all it does.

Head and Shoulders makes my hair feel coarse - good at dandruff removal, though.

Tresemme doesn't do anything - my hair feels a bit dry and it doesn't even have a lovely smell to compensate.

I change shampoos/conditioners a hell of a lot. I'm currently on Organix Keratin and Moroccan Argan Oil ones, and they're pretty good so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just use head and shoulders and some cheap standard conditioner which I add meadowfoam oil to, makes my hair shinier than any branded conditioner I've ever used, There is a cheap brand called Cien in Lidl and thats the one shampoo that doesnt build up on my hair and its lovely, I think its something like 79p a bottle.
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fructus is quite good on my hair but I can only use it 4 or 5 times before it irritates my scalp and I have to switch.
    The Aussie stuff, Pantene, Elvive and Treseme make my hair feel like straw every wash.
    Head and Shoulders with their conditioner was brilliant but again for only 4 or 5 washes then I would have to switch to something else.
    Suave Keratin is the best I've used, doesn't irritate my scalp and I can go about 10 washes before it makes my hair like straw.
    I have very thick curly hair. It used to be down to my bum but I got my husband to cut it off to my shoulders. Tied it in a ponytail and told him to cut that off. Didn't do a bad job tbh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use bed head by Tigi at the moment, before that I was using diamond/S by Tigi.
    It's almost finished so will be buying a new one when I'm at the hairdressers on Saturday, probably something from the Kerastase range as that was really good last time.

Other ones (pantene/herbal essences/aussie/head and shoulders/tre semme/John frieda/Loreal) seem to make my hair either really greasy or really dry.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Herbal Essences works on my hair (I use it's a Curl thing), John Frieda Curl Around shampoo and conditioner also works. I tried Dove and it was crap it didn't do anything and nothing else seems to work on the knotted, frizzy mess that is my hair in the morning (I do very good impression of Wurzel Gummidge first thing!)
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    Tresemme doesn't do anything - my hair feels a bit dry and it doesn't even have a lovely smell to compensate.

That's surprising - we use the Tresemme " Salon silk " variety of conditioner for dry hair. It not only works but leaves a beautiful fragrance in your hair that can be detected 2-3 days after.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The elvive full restore five tangled my hair and left it so dry. I use john Frieda brilliant brunette when I have the money, or herbal essence blue one and aussie luscious long is brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Clynol colour care all the time, and there's no way I'd risk using anything else, I'm a bit precious about my hair :o
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago, the girl cutting my hair in a "posh" salon asked me what shampoo I use. She then told me that all of the top selling shampoo products are made by soap powder companies.
    Giving me a few moments to absorb this devastating revalation, she walked over to the shampoo display and came back with items costing £11.99 and £12.99. I bought the Paul Mitchell product.
    My work colleagues said "She must have seen you coming"
    :o
    I still use that product. Even though there can be no doubt that the lather is luxuriant, a good compromise is to use Morrisons jojoba shampoo (79p for 2 litres) for the first shampoo - then the good stuff.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elvive makes my hair feel soft and nicely conditioned, but leaves it looking dull. The reason it went in the bin though was because it brought out huge lumpy, itchy, spots on my scalp :eek:

Conversely, the VO5 Give Me Moisture 'poo and conditioner do give my hair a lovely shine but it doesn't feel particularly well conditioned.

Although it is nothing special, I do like Herbal Essences as there are no adverse effects even if used for months on end. And a nice long-lasting smell does go a long way with me. My favourite shampoo in my greasy days of youth was Neutrogena's T/Gel but I haven't used it in years, so can't vouch for its current form.

At the moment, I'm 'testing' a shampoo and conditioner so they are in plain anonymous bottles. A wella product I think, by the shape of the bottle, but they are comparable to the VO5 range above.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . My favourite shampoo in my greasy days of youth was Neutrogena's T/Gel but I haven't used it in years, so can't vouch for its current form.

I use TGel a couple of times a month as I'm prone to getting an itchy scalp. I hate the smell, its foul, but I love the way it makes my hair so shiny! If they could make it smell nicer (and more cost effective for the size) it would easily be my shampoo of choice. They should bring out a conditioner too if they haven't already.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 6 years ago i developed dandruff so i went onto Head & Shoulders. It worked perfectly on rectifying the dried scalp, but after about a month or so my hair went really greasy.

I now vary it with any other shampoo thats on offer. I am currently using Timotei which is nice. I also like Elvive. I cant stand Tresemme as my hair goes really lank with it. I use a Loreal conditioner all the time though as it works for my long, dry ended hair.
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Vidal Sassoon are bringing out shampoos and conditioners again. Just do the coconut ones in the brown bottles, VS. They were awesome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I use Head and Shoulders Citrus as it has been great to help with my oily hair and I can actually go a day without washing etc but recently it has been making it very dry indeed so I have started using Body Shops banana shampoo which is nice.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only ever had a problem with Fructis, back when it first came out. It left my hair so sticky that it really needed a second washing with something else. I was in a rush for work and didn't have time, so had to put up with it all day, which was horrendous. I remember it being on one of the consumer programmes with similar complaints (Watchdog, perhaps?). Obviously they've improved it since for it still to be on sale, but once bitten, twice shy and all that.
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer to use products with less chemical as possible like faith in nature and australian organics, they are kinder to my skin and make my hair soft and shiney..
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    A few years ago, the girl cutting my hair in a "posh" salon asked me what shampoo I use. She then told me that all of the top selling shampoo products are made by soap powder companies.
    Giving me a few moments to absorb this devastating revalation, she walked over to the shampoo display and came back with items costing £11.99 and £12.99. I bought the Paul Mitchell product.
    My work colleagues said "She must have seen you coming"
    :o
    I still use that product. Even though there can be no doubt that the lather is luxuriant, a good compromise is to use Morrisons jojoba shampoo (79p for 2 litres) for the first shampoo - then the good stuff.

Indeed Proctor & Gamble are probably the biggest one, but imo its not about the owners it's about the quality of the ingredients in the product. Saying that though, some of P&G's subsidiaries, Head and Shoulders, Pantene, Herbal Essences etc, all top selling brands but I personally don't use them, the shampoos are too stripping and the conditioners are inadequate for my hair. I wouldn't feel bad about buying the Paul Mitchell shampoo, even though it has a lot of chemicals it is probably a lot better quality than the aforementioned brands and the price you paid isn't far off, I think you can buy it for about a tenner. I've paid a lot more than that for a shampoo. :o

As for my worst shampoo, I hate to say it but probably Kerastase. Now I love their masks and conditioners but I can't get on with their shampoos, too harsh. I like Aveda Damage Remedy and Keracare Hydrating shampoos. Makes my hair feel clean but soft like I just conditioned it.
  • Sam SolitudeSam Solitude Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Urine and mucus
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    dove, makes my hair dry and matted and leaves a horrible coated feeling to it.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    Herbal Essences by far the worst - gives me immediate dandruff however much I rinse it out.

The best shampoo is Pantene or Elvive.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    A hairdresser of mine (and Scottish hairdresser to the stars, I might add ;) ) told me that shampoo is basically all detergent and much less important in the hair care regime than conditioner. After that, I've always made sure my conditioner is good regardless of what shampoo I'm using.

As I am bleach blonde, I find John Frieda Sheer Blonde conditioner to be excellent.
  • statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    another vote for Fructis. My hair looked like I had poured oil all over it!
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    A hairdresser of mine (and Scottish hairdresser to the stars, I might add ;) ) told me that shampoo is basically all detergent and much less important in the hair care regime than conditioner. After that, I've always made sure my conditioner is good regardless of what shampoo I'm using.

As I am bleach blonde, I find John Frieda Sheer Blonde conditioner to be excellent.

Couldn't agree more. I don't really like shampoo but it is necessary for me to keep my scalp clean and remove build up. You can use alternatives but I find shampoo easier even if they are evil!