Martin Freeman's partner 'declared bankrupt'..

Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
Forum Member
✭✭✭
....over a £120,000 tax bill. Seeing he's supposedly worth 10 million, perhaps he could have chipped in to help? Why do these celebs never save to pay their tax bills when they arrive?? Yes, I'm talking about you too Martine.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a464686/martin-freemans-partner-amanda-abbington-declared-bankrupt.html

Comments

• roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She should ask Mr Selfridge for a loan.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    ....over a £120,000 tax bill. Seeing he's supposedly worth 10 million, perhaps he could have chipped in to help? Why do these celebs never save to pay their tax bills when they arrive?? Yes, I'm talking about you too Martine.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a464686/martin-freemans-partner-amanda-abbington-declared-bankrupt.html

pretty disgraceful IMO, yes I know it's the rubbish system but is very annoying considering they are as good as husband and wife
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,576
    Forum Member
    Well thats one way for the well off to avoid paying tax.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they actually married? If not this whole thread is pointless.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Are they actually married? If not this whole thread is pointless.

No, they're not. So whilst there may be a moral obligation on Freeman to stump up, there isn't any legal one.
    He probably feels he's paid enough tax as it is, without paying when he needn't.
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because she's been declared bankrupt, it doesn't mean that she'll not have to pay her tax bill.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,576
    Forum Member
    Well lets hope she pays every single penny back, surely she gets paid each time that awful Malteser advert comes on?
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,007
    Forum Member
    Just because she's been declared bankrupt, it doesn't mean that she'll not have to pay her tax bill.
    I've always been under the impression that bankruptcy writes off ALL debts - including taxes.
    Forum Member
    I've always been under the impression that bankruptcy writes off ALL debts - including taxes.

Ditto, according to the Mail :o she'll have to repay just a fraction of the tax bill. I don't know the ins and outs but surely people wouldn't declare themselves bankrupt if they had to repay all debts, that would defeat the object:confused:
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When you're made bankrupt, your assets (including your house in extreme cases and your car unless you need it to work) can be used to pay your debts, and for the duration of the bankruptcy the administrator will give you some of your earnings for food etc, and any spare money will be used to continue paying your debts.

You cannot hold credit or debit cards while bankrupt as your accounts will be frozen.

When the bankruptcy is discharged, some repayment agreements can continue to be in force for up to 3 years.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    When you're made bankrupt, your assets (including your house in extreme cases and your car unless you need it to work) can be used to pay your debts, and for the duration of the bankruptcy the administrator will give you some of your earnings for food etc, and any spare money will be used to continue paying your debts.

You cannot hold credit or debit cards while bankrupt as your accounts will be frozen.

When the bankruptcy is discharged, some repayment agreements can continue to be in force for up to 3 years.

The papers can't say things like that, though. How would they generate outrage if they said things like that?
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,240
    Forum Member
    For a second I thought this said "Morgan Freeman declared bankrupt"
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piece here by Alison Phillips. Totally agree with her.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alison-phillips-rich-tax-avoiders-1759478

OK, Martin Freeman has no obligation to pay her tax bill, but it looks odd that he wouldn't help her out.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What winds me up is hearing that a celebrity "has been hit with a tax bill", no they haven't. It hasn't just appeared and HMRC don't just magic one up out of thin air. In all likelihood the tax has been owing for some considerable time and hasn't been paid hence HMRC now taking action.
    Forum Member
    tellytart1 wrote: »

I'm beginning to feel sorry for her now - poor wee lamb! Someone ought to tell her to get her kids names down for free-school meals if she hasn't already!:D

The whole thing is hilarious - but it is good reading matter - takes your mind off all the cuts being made to the health service, the police, the armed forces caused by people shirking their taxes.
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    What winds me up is hearing that a celebrity "has been hit with a tax bill", no they haven't. It hasn't just appeared and HMRC don't just magic one up out of thin air. In all likelihood the tax has been owing for some considerable time and hasn't been paid hence HMRC now taking action.

quite, I know people get put on the wrong tax code but would take a while to accrue £120K debt. Very annoying much like the Martine debacle
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm not quite sure why my posts got deleted...mods, can you help? :confused:
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OK, Martin Freeman has no obligation to pay her tax bill, but it looks odd that he wouldn't help her out.

I don't disagree that he shouldn't help out but I can see the other side that says maybe this is about her being a grown up, taking responsibility and learning to manage her own money. Sometimes it's not helpful to just pay someone's debits without making them stop the behaviour that got them into trouble in the first place.
    Forum Member
    I don't disagree that he shouldn't help out but I can see the other side that says maybe this is about her being a grown up, taking responsibility and learning to manage her own money. Sometimes it's not helpful to just pay someone's debits without making them stop the behaviour that got them into trouble in the first place.

On the other hand - maybe he felt that the £110,000 tax owed was better spent on a new snooker table!:D

We little people just have to face facts - there are some people out there who don't believe that taxes are for them. We just have to get used to footing the bill on their behalf.
    Forum Member

maybe he should start charging her rent now, that'll learn her:D
    (of course I am presuming the big swanky house is in his name)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Although, I have to say, if my partner was saying "ya know, despite my millions, maybe you should learn to manage your money better", I'd be seriously peeved :D:o
    Forum Member
    Although, I have to say, if my partner was saying "ya know, despite my millions, maybe you should learn to manage your money better", I'd be seriously peeved :D:o
    Well you would start to doubt his feelings for you wouldn't you?
  • OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    We just have to get used to footing the bill on their behalf.

Asked the government to get rid of the bankrupcy laws then?
    Although of course if you did that it would affect lots of people who no fault of their own get into those situations.
    No easy answer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Seems a bit odd, surely they shouldn't have to be married...
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opaque wrote: »
    Asked the government to get rid of the bankrupcy laws then?
    Although of course if you did that it would affect lots of people who no fault of their own get into those situations.
    No easy answer.

Exactly.

Not everyone who goes bankrupt is the partner of a man who's worth millions. Many are owners of small businesses who go under because of economic circumstances which aren't their fault.

If Ms Abbington wanted to avoid being 'hit' (ha!) by this tax bill, and is a woman of an independent turn of mind who didn't want her partner to pay her bills, perhaps she should have cut her coat according to her cloth and not spent money she didn't have, or put money by to cover the bill when it arrived.