Why do CRB checks take so long to come through?

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was offered a job two weeks ago, but because it involved looking after children I can't start until my CRB comes back. I had one when I went to uni and it took AGES to come back, about six to seven weeks. Mine was the last in the group to come back and it meant I couldn't start my placement at the same time as everyone else.

Its so frustrating, I understand why you can't start, but I don't understand why the police drag their heals so much? Ive not moved about and have lived in the same house for 20 years, and ive never even had a speeding ticket let alone a caution! Surely all it takes is to do a quick check on a computer to see I'm not a criminal?

Comments

• Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I processed 2 for the same guy who was applying for two separate jobs, sent them off on the same day and with equal information in each.

One took a week to come back, the other a month. I just don't think the police have the resources to do anything other than stockpile them on occasion.

So it's the old adage 'it depends whose desk it lands on'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    I processed 2 for the same guy who was applying for two separate jobs, sent them off on the same day and with equal information in each.

One took a week to come back, the other a month. I just don't think the police have the resources to do anything other than stockpile them on occasion.

Do people have to pay for them? I was just think that if it's self funding via some sort of payment then they should be able to staff it adequately.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My CRV took 10 days to come through.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with that. My last one for Uni took ages, but there were people on my course who had it back within ten days! I can only assume which police force you live under plays a part as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member
    It's nothing to do with the police, they're not the ones who administer CRB checks!
  • bunnydsbunnyds Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter's took less than a week. It really depends how much weight the requesting body have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people have to pay for them? I was just think that if it's self funding via some sort of payment then they should be able to staff it adequately.

Yes you do pay for them. However my employers are paying for my new one. I had to pay £40 for the last one and they still dragged their heals!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    Yes you do pay for them. However my employers are paying for my new one. I had to pay £40 for the last one and they still dragged their heals!:rolleyes:

Ok, ta. Bloody hell, 40 notes!?! They should be able to provide a decent service for that price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes people have to pay although most employers cover the cost. Not sure if the police have a duty toprovide the info or if they're paid a portion of the income.
    DGSx wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with the police, they're not the ones who administer CRB checks!

Yes, they play a major part.:) as they share soft intelligence if someone's deemed a threat but hasn't been convicted (The case of Ian Huntley is probably the best know example).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunnyds wrote: »
    My daughter's took less than a week. It really depends how much weight the requesting body have.

It honestly doesn't, you simple can't fast track them, I send them the day I receive them and hope for the best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunnyds wrote: »

It honestly doesn't, you simple can't fast track them, I send them the day I receive them and hope for the best.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    Seven weeks isn't bad, we've been waiting for one since October!
    It very much depends on how effective the police authority is in your area. If you moved around a lot in the last five years that won't help much.

On the flip side we process our CRB's through an umbrella body now and they can come back very quickly 7 days, 3 days and even bizarrely 1 day but the latter doesn't happen too often unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, ta. Bloody hell, 40 notes!?! They should be able to provide a decent service for that price.

Yep a lot of money when your a student with no money coming in. I also had to provide a referee for this one for some reason. I have no idea why? Didn't have to do that last time:confused:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine took a couple of weeks, I didn't have to pay as college I was at covered the costs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Seven weeks isn't bad, we've been waiting for one since October!

It very much depends on how effective the police authority is in your area. If you moved around a lot in the last five years that won't help much.

On the flip side we process our CRB's through an umbrella body now and they can come back very quickly 7 days, 3 days and even bizarrely 1 day but the latter doesn't happen too often unfortunately.

Im convinced my last CRB took so long because my local police authority dragged their heals. I admit it was a busy time of year being September, but no one elses took as long as mine did and they all lived in different areas.

This time they have told me they are coming back quickly at the moment, between two to three weeks. But i'm not holding my breath..
    Forum Member
    Yes, they play a major part.:) as they share soft intelligence if someone's deemed a threat but hasn't been convicted (The case of Ian Huntley is probably the best know example).

It's an automated process that is triggered by the Criminal Records Bureau, they have full access to the PNC so for a basic check they have no need to contact the police for an intelligence check.

For an enhanced check the police have a SLA that they must answer the CRB within 12-15 days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep a lot of money when your a student with no money coming in. I also had to provide a referee for this one for some reason. I have no idea why? Didn't have to do that last time:confused:

You don't have to fill in sections E and F anymore.
    They're changing the forms in July and introducing new ones to fit in with the new Vetting and Barring Scheme (VBS).
    You'll be able to register with the ISA and have a CRB done at the same time, this will cost £64!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to fill in sections E and F anymore.
    They're changing the forms in July and introducing new ones to fit in with the new Vetting and Barring Scheme (VBS).
    You'll be able to register with the ISA and have a CRB done at the same time, this will cost £64!!!

I filled in the reference section:o Was I not supposed to? It wasn't really made clear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DGSx wrote: »
    It's an automated process that is triggered by the Criminal Records Bureau, they have full access to the PNC so for a basic check they have no need to contact the police for an intelligence check.

For an enhanced check the police have a SLA that they must answer the CRB within 12-15 days.

Yes, the standard checks don't require the same search but they stopped them in October 2009 for anyone working with kids in any capacity. From July 2010 this will be even more stringent for newcomers or those changing jobs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I filled in the reference section:o Was I not supposed to? It wasn't really made clear.

It's fine Vodka, you didn't need to but it won't hold up the process :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine took 6 months because the morons kept losing my previous addresses sheet :mad: Rather than admit they ket losing it they I suggested I fill in a new form and start all over again. Idiots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    Maybe they found out you post on DS.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was offered a job with the Ministry Of Defence (some years back), I had to wait 6 months for the security clearence to go through because of my Irish background. The Garda were quite slow.
    Forum Member
    When I was offered a job with the Ministry Of Defence (some years back), I had to wait 6 months for the security clearence to go through because of my Irish background. The Garda were quite slow.

That's not a CRB check though, it's a check carried out by the Defence Vetting Agency and it depends what level of check you are applying for...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

6 Months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: