Three BBC weather presenters to disappear from screens in cost cutting drive

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the regions, you'll find each team has one meteorologist alongside 1/2 presenters who are trained in chart reading and script writing.

So on BBC South, Sara Thornton is the meteorologist, with Reham Khan and Alexis Green are the back-up presenters.

However many of these weather presenters are also used as presenters of weekend news bulletins.

Thanks for that Martin,I didn't know that Sara,who to be fair is good,is the qualified hand on BBC South.

As for past BBC South weather folk,Dorcus Henry was always very good,as was Georgie Palmer,who also went away to have a baby.Maybe one day she will return.

Is Jim Bacon still around on BBC East,he is another old school BBC presenter who always gets the message over well.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    In any case Kate's on maternity leave soon so it will obviously change around somehow.

I wouldn't be surprised if the post isn't covered at Broadcasting House and instead a range of national presenters or a pre-recorded bulletin from the on-duty presenter at Tunbridge Wells is used instead.
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    I'm sad about Rob McElwee :(.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Radio Lion wrote: »
    Is Jim Bacon still around on BBC East,he is another old school BBC presenter who always gets the message over well.
    Yes. He often covers for Julie on Look East. Also heard him giving the forecast just the other morning on BBC Radio Northampton.
    I'm sad about Rob McElwee :(.
    Me too. I'll be firing off a strongly worded e-mail later to both the BBC and the Met Office about this. I doubt it will do much good, but you never know. I will feel better once I've made my feelings known to the right people and letting off some steam will do me good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently Julie Reinger's (Look East) maternity leave is being covered by former investigative journalist Alex Dolan.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Currently Julie Reinger's (Look East) maternity leave is being covered by former investigative journalist Alex Dolan.
    They also had a man with an American accent on there recently. No idea who he was.

No complaints though about any of the forecasters on Look East. All very competent and get the job done well. :)
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I suspect Mr Schafernaker did not help his own cause by posing in gay magazines, the BBC does not like that sort of thing.
    Posing or magazines?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posing or magazines?

Both:D
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Lion wrote: »
    Thanks for that Martin,I didn't know that Sara,who to be fair is good,is the qualified hand on BBC South.

As for past BBC South weather folk,Dorcus Henry was always very good,as was Georgie Palmer,who also went away to have a baby.Maybe one day she will return.

Sara is maternity cover for Georgie so technically should be back soon
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robbra wrote: »
    They should cull some at South Today. In the morning they get on for a minute or two once an hour. What's the point, let the brief forecast be read by the presenter as other times.
    As for H. Willetts and C. Kirkwood, can anyone shut them up......please?:yawn:

THey should get rid of Sara. SHes irritating!!

And Mike Powell and his awful ties :D
  • RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tomasz Schafernaker is a clown anyway. He's imploded on screen on several occasions.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a good time to be a TV weather presenter. First Sky News axed most of its presenters, now the BBC is taking three off screen.

Actually the most memorable way to present TV weather is to have a simple graphic of the UK with the forecast superimposed. I lose interest in the forecast when they are dealing with areas which are not where I live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    Sara is maternity cover for Georgie so technically should be back soon

Ms Palmer has been off for over a year now and isn't on the current BBC South publicity shots for the weather team. Is she a trained Met Office Meteorologist?
  • RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robbra wrote: »
    They should cull some at South Today. In the morning they get on for a minute or two once an hour. What's the point, let the brief forecast be read by the presenter as other times.
    As for H. Willetts and C. Kirkwood, can anyone shut them up......please?:yawn:

Helen Willetts

A quick scan of this thread, has everyone forgotten Louise Lear? She knows her stuff AND she's lovely. Got to keep her. :)

I really don't get Laura Tobin mania at all, I find her like an irritating little chipmunk. :p

Mind you, if it's a choice between her and Louise, BBC are bound to pick Chipmunk born in the 80s over 40-ish Louise. :rolleyes:
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    THey should get rid of Sara. SHes irritating!!

And Mike Powell and his awful ties :D

Quite agree but I would add Alexis Green to the list. She does not have an easy style, and is not a natural broadcaster. She looks terrified, so gabbles her words ASAP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Quite agree but I would add Alexis Green to the list. She does not have an easy style, and is not a natural broadcaster. She looks terrified, so gabbles her words ASAP.

Surprising as she used to be a travel presenter on GMTV's regional news updates for the London area before joining South Today.

Reham if I recall worked on some obscure digital channel called Red TV which was Legal TV.

When and why did the BBC decide to add extra weather presenters to the regional bulletins?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick scan of this thread, has everyone forgotten Louise Lear? She knows her stuff AND she's lovely. Got to keep her. :)
    Totally agree - I'm waiting for her to run the London Marathon (apparently she runs quite a lot).

She was on BBC News channel this afternoon, looking rather delectable.
  • planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helen Willetts

........has everyone forgotten Louise Lear? She knows her stuff AND she's lovely. Got to keep her. :)

What.....Louise Lear and her bright red nose? Can't the make-up girls sort her out before she goes in front of the camera?
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems Nazaneen is leaving South East Today.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I suspect Mr Schafernaker did not help his own cause by posing in gay magazines, the BBC does not like that sort of thing.

How narrow-minded of them...the Daily Mail would approve, for once
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems Nazaneen is leaving South East Today.

Which leaves them with one contracted person on the weather team with Kaye Forster still absent. Apparently freelancer Lara Lewington will replace Nazaneen initially.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah,but on the South East Today Facebook page,Polly Evans wrote,and I quote,"the lovely Kaddy,Kaye,Lara Lewington and,er,Michael Fish will be there to brighten up your day". This only adds to the mystery of Kaye's whereabouts/her absence,since everytime someone has commented previously asking "Where's Kaye",they haven't answered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah,but on the South East Today Facebook page,Polly Evans wrote,and I quote,"the lovely Kaddy,Kaye,Lara Lewington and,er,Michael Fish will be there to brighten up your day". This only adds to the mystery of Kaye's whereabouts/her absence,since everytime someone has commented previously asking "Where's Kaye",they haven't answered.

It seems to be the first time anyone at SET has acknowledged Kaye since August.

On that SET page, Polly also mentions that Nazaneen will be on in the mornings for this rival broadcaster, so it could be Sunrise or Daybreak (with Kirsty going on maternity leave shortly)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    DXRulz wrote: »
    Well that will make the complainers & moaners happy who didn't like some of Tomasz Schafernaker's controversy (such as swearing on air and throwing a strop!) :D

No, no, no! What are we going to do now without Tomasz to entertain us! :(

Still, at least Dan "umbrella" Corbett will still be on air though. He always seems to try to work the word "umbrella" into his forecasts. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no, no! What are we going to do now without Tomasz to entertain us! :(

Still, at least Dan "umbrella" Corbett will still be on air though. He always seems to try to work the word "umbrella" into his forecasts. Has anyone else noticed this?

I've noticed umbrella, or some other item that he gets into his script. In the winter, it's either a coat or scarf.