Car paintwork keyed last night

chris_elevatechris_elevate Posts: 585
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi guys,

Woke up this morning to find that some low life has keyed my car whilst parked on the street outside my house. The car is a 2004 reg BMW so not majorly expensive but it was/is a nice looking car.

Ill take it to a body shop tomorrow but just wanted some advice on the matter as I'm still really annoyed with what's happened. It's on the passenger side which was facing the road. It's on the front wing, two doors and rear panel too. I've looked down the street and its only mine that's been done. I don't think it anything personal against us as we've got no enemy's!

Cheers for any help you can give.

Comments

• Aurora04Aurora04 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that.:cry:

The same thing happened to mine a few years ago.4 cars in the street all keyed,a line down the side of each car.

Cost £300 to sort.

To me it was one of these things that can happen that are beyond our control.
  • Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

Woke up this morning to find that some low life has keyed my car whilst parked on the street outside my house. The car is a 2004 reg BMW so not majorly expensive but it was/is a nice looking car.

Ill take it to a body shop tomorrow but just wanted some advice on the matter as I'm still really annoyed with what's happened. It's on the passenger side which was facing the road. It's on the front wing, two doors and rear panel too. I've looked down the street and its only mine that's been done. I don't think it anything personal against us as we've got no enemy's!

Cheers for any help you can give.

Unfortunately for your wallet, you're looking at I'd say a cost of over £300 - maybe more.

The problem being with it being keyed, I'd hazard a guess that these could be deep scratches.

I think a lot of body shop repairs charge by the panel.

There's obviously a lot of grinding down too be done, but the cost of paint (primer-paint-lacquer).

The car will obviously need to be kept in a workshop for dryness because of the winter. It's bad timing and a pain in the backside.

I had somebody before xmas in an Asda car park exchange paint with my back bumper.

I rubbed this down, with wet-dry paper and compound, and it's left a smear. I am itching to spray-paint myself, but need proper dry and warm weather, as it takes ages for it to set in.

I'm really sorry to hear about this, and I just hope you find a decent body shop that's not going to milk you on the cost of repairs.
  • Aurora04Aurora04 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I used one of these franchise companies who do scratch repair and alloy wheel refurbishment etc.

Most come to your door for minor repairs but mine went to their workshop.They did an excellent job.

There was no point going through insurance due to the hastle and excess to pay.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only thing i can say is get it repaired at your own cost, no third parties, dont involve insurers

horrible gits they are
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once got a new Volvo, and three days after delivery, it got keyed. Every panel except the roof. The car was parked in my driveway, in a cul-de-sac of a quiet village. Thankfully it was a company car so the insurance sorted it. We know who did it, but had insufficient proof to satisfy the boys in blue. He had also done the previous car I'd had - but he'd got caught that time and his old man made him pay for the repair (cost £300 in 1988).

You have my sympathy for your beemer getting done.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a freind who wanted a certain car but her husband said no not this year you can have one next year ( she had only had her own car 6 mths) She see one of the cars she wanted parked outside her workplace and she keyed it :confused:

I really dont understand the mentality of people like this.
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with the poster who said to try one of the mobile repairers like Chips Away.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree with the poster who said to try one of the mobile repairers like Chips Away.

Going off when I used ChipsAway last year (and they are good) on a single panel if the scratch goes over an 8 inch area the cost is £160.
    So, as this is across 4 panels and it sounds like it's definitely over 8 inches per panel then they'd hit you for over £640, in theory... There's always deals to be done...
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a freind who wanted a certain car but her husband said no not this year you can have one next year ( she had only had her own car 6 mths) She see one of the cars she wanted parked outside her workplace and she keyed it :confused:

Your friend sounds like a disgusting spoilt b*tch, and should have been reported to the police:mad:
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a bitch :eek: I hope you are not friends with her anymore.

Jealousy is an ugly trait.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the cost will depend if it can be buffed out.

if it can you can do it yourself. just takes a lot of elbow grease and t-cut.

if not a 4 panel respray wont be economical to repair.
  • chris_elevatechris_elevate Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right.... here's the update.

Took the car to a cheap and cheerful spray place. £250 for the four panels resprayed - amazing price but quality is not good from them. I've heard there's be dry edges and handle marks etc.

Went up another place that do an average job and they quoted £550 for respray. Apparently an average job.

Went to a final place that said...
    We can respray and get it new for £600 and polish the rest for £120. The guy said... can we have a go at polishing it as he thought it MIGHT come out. I said fine and left it for a few hours.

They just did the worst part. I went to pick it up and and I can't see where the scratch was! They are going to do the other scratches for £100 and the rest of the car for another £100 next week. They want the car for 2 days to do it.

They have done an AMAZING job on the small bit so far so hopefully it'll all come good next week.

I'm soooooo impressed!

Good price too don't you think?!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used Chipsaway to repair a keying damage and I was very happy with the result - it really was as good as new. They are a franchise operation though so the service may not be as good in all areas.
  • chris_elevatechris_elevate Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like they are quite expensive though
  • monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I once got a new Volvo, and three days after delivery, it got keyed. Every panel except the roof. The car was parked in my driveway, in a cul-de-sac of a quiet village. Thankfully it was a company car so the insurance sorted it. We know who did it, but had insufficient proof to satisfy the boys in blue. He had also done the previous car I'd had - but he'd got caught that time and his old man made him pay for the repair (cost £300 in 1988).

You have my sympathy for your beemer getting done.

time for hammer to the head if it was my car, sorry but ill cut the ****ers eyes out
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    If it's a deep scratch, all the way through the paintwork, the cheapest way to repair it will be with a small pot of touch-up paint - the sort that comes with a tiny little brush.

You should be able to neatly fill in the scratch, leave it for a week to cure and then polish it to blend it in.

If you do it well it'll be invisible but if you mess it up at all you'll create heaps of extra work when it comes to polishing it smooth.
    You need to be REALLY careful you don't apply any paint outside the scratches.
  • orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happened to me 24hrs after getting my new car. Not like it was even anything special - only a Fiat Punto. £600 for front wing, door, rear quarter panel.
  • kramstan70kramstan70 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    It's happened to me a few times unfortunately. The first time I used a mobile repair guy (Think he was a Chipaway guy or some similar franchise) and he made such a mess of it in the end he refunded me and I had it done at a bodyshop repair place. He promised a proper job but in the end he didn't have a garage to put the car in whilst the paint was drying (which I didn't realise initially), he was just respraying and leaving it in the open to dry out the back of his house! As you can imagine, all sorts of debris and dust was settling on the drying paint. He then buffed the paintwork to within an inch of its life and left swirl marks and flat spots and it looked awful.

If it's a deep scratch and has gone down to the primer or even metal then there is not really an awful lot a mobile repair person can do as it really needs rubbing down and respraying properly; it's just a false economy to do anything else unless you're a dab hand yourself at repairing and respraying bodywork. If you rub your finger across the scratch and your finger nail sticks in the scratch then normally it's too deep for a mobile repair.

The second time it happened (year's after the first incident and on a different car) the t***ts scratched every panel down the drivers side. It needs a complete respray on the driver's side and I have been quoted prices between £350-£500 at a bodyshop. It's a 2 door sports car, so I guess would be more expensive if you've got a bigger car.

I didn't go through my insurer due to the excess being £250 and loss of my NCB. I'll get it done when I can afford it. It really, really made me angry at the time, made even worse due to the fact that I think I know who did it. Mine and my neighbour's cars were both done at the same time. The police couldn't act as we couldn't prove it was him- same old story unfortunately. Mobile repair guys are great for small scratches or dents and they may be able to mask some of the damage if it's extensive. It depends to what extent you want it repaired. If it's your pride and joy then I expect you'll want a decent job done. If you're not too bothered, do it yourself or try a mobile repair person.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like they are quite expensive though

I can't remember the exact costs of Chipsaway but £300-400 sounds about right. I used them as they could do the job in my work carpark and I heard good reports about the local franchise. I suppose I could have got cheaper by finding a back street garage but at the time I just wanted it fixing ASAP.

I would ask around friends and colleagues to see if they have any recommendations. It's almost certain that one of them will have been keyed.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to scratch one of my own cars years ago, all along one side, by driving against a loose branch which was sticking out of a hedgerow. :rolleyes: It looked bad at first, but I managed to polish it out.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    My niece had one side of her Renault Megane keyed a few years ago. It cost her £300 at Chips Away to get the damage fixed. They did an excellent job and I have to say that I myself couldn't see where the car had been damaged afterwards. Her repair wasn't done in the street, she took the car to their premises on a local trading estate.

But Chips Away are a franchise-type operation and I'm sure that standards can vary quite a lot. Personal recommendation is always the best way of finding a good repairer.

I do believe that many bodyshops now do smart-type repairs themselves; they have obviously realised that there were now new methods of repairing damaged bodywork and they were missing out.

I always consider smart bodywork repairs as being rather akin to keyhole surgery!