Borgen series 2 - Danish political drama Saturdays BBC4 - no spoilers allowed. Tak

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Fantastic couple of episodes last night. Some really unexpected twists.

The ( first) Foreign Minister was just like John Prescott . A supposedly uncouth working class trade unionist, the only person in his party who had done a proper job .. Love that black tie joke they played on him.. Everything is so similar to the UKs politics .

That's just what I was thinking, but if Bjørn Marrot equates to Prescott does that mean Laugesen is Tony Blair??
    apaul wrote: »
    Borgen was back on form after a rather lame opening to series 2. Laugesen is a great baddie. They seem to be building up the defence minister so maybe he will take over as Labour leader.

Theis as Labour leader?? That would be great

Presumably he would also become Foreign Minister as it seems to be part of the coalition deal with the Moderates that the Labour leader is automatically Foriegn Minister as well
  • liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff. Who would have guessed that a subtitled drama about Danish coalition politics would be unmissable Saturday night TV?

This. I absolutely loved it. :)
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else think that when Hox was stumbling over his words trying to explain to Birgitte what was happening that he was going to say something like .... there are some photos of an indiscretion .... and she would jump to the conclusion that it was about her and Kim and blurt it all out?

Also thought he would commit suicide in her office when she left him alone for maximum effect.

Sidse is really beautiful (her hair seemed darker this week). She has such an expressive face that you can really feel her pain when she wants her husband back. Her being rational and telling the children it's ok to like his new g/f - or not - then clearly being disappointed when they did.

Surprised Kasper dealt with the Kim situation so badly. They should have kept him close, demoting him was only going to antagonise the situation. Still, Kasper isnt too good at dealing with matters of the heart - Kasper + Katrine = 4eva!

Loving Hanne still and her relationship with Katrine who seems like a surrogate daughter after her fall out with her own girl. Time to find out more about Jyte the secretary methinks ... or bring back Sanne :)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Catch22 wrote:
    Birgitte needs to get a new sink with a garbage disposal system and then she can shove Laugesen's gonads down it.

Kasper really is the only man she can rely on now isn't he.

Even trusty Kim is a kiss and tell.

Indeed, politician turned press baron Laugesen is most certainly a despicable snake in the grass and, in terms of scheming, he was even ahead of the now-departed Höxenhaven (whose demise was ultimately Laugesen's doing).

This week's episodes turned out to be an interesting mix of political developments and relationship disasters and I look forward to what happens next week.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Fairness wrote: »
    Watching this on catchup, and the end credits seemed to say it is based on political characters from 1982. Is that right or have I misread the credits/disclaimer?

Google Translate suggests it says this:-
    Events and people in THE CITADEL is[sic] fictional - but inspired by reality. The series also refers to historical people and events in Danish politics before 1982.

Why before 1982 I do not know. It seems something of an arbitrary date, though students of Danish political history may be able to shed some light as to whether this is significant.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »
    Google Translate suggests it says this:-

Why before 1982 I do not know. It seems something of an arbitrary date, though students of Danish political history may be able to shed some light as to whether this is significant.

Not as far as I know. The last really disruptive thing (Nazi occupation aside) to happen in Danish politics was way back in 1920 with the Schleswig Plebiscites to determine the border between Denmark and Germany and the failure to win the Zone II referendum for Denmark, especially the town of Flensborg, and that resulted in Påskekrisen - the Easter Crisis - following the intervention of King Christian X in politics.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did it worry anyone else that Cecilie could just let herself in to Birgitte's house when she thought nobody was home? Did Philip give her the alarm code as well as the key? (Is there even an alarm?) Have they done any kind of security check on her?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    Did it worry anyone else that Cecilie could just let herself in to Birgitte's house when she thought nobody was home? Did Philip give her the alarm code as well as the key? (Is there even an alarm?) Have they done any kind of security check on her?

Wouldn't her bodyguards be there too if she was at home?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member

Her daughter would have had a key, but I would have thought that there would be numerous security guards surrounding the house.

The "black tie" story reminded me of Jeremy Coney. He is a former New Zealand cricketer , who is now a broadcaster. When he first played for New Zealand as a 20 something he was invited to some special do , and was told to wear black tie. He asked his senior colleagues what that meant and he was told just to wear a suit with a black tie. So he did , and was embarrassed when everyone else was wearing formal gear.

I may have nodded off for a bit , but I didn't understand the Parrot thing. Something to do with his name Parrot / Marrot ?
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may have nodded off for a bit , but I didn't understand the Parrot thing. Something to do with his name Parrot / Marrot ?

He was being interviewed in English by the BBC and used the phrase "shot the parrot". I'm not sure what he thought he was saying but he was using it as though it was a well-known phrase / cliche.

I'd like to see William Hague give an interview to Danish TV in Danish and do better!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    He was being interviewed in English by the BBC and used the phrase "shot the parrot". I'm not sure what he thought he was saying but he was using it as though it was a well-known phrase / cliche.

I'd like to see William Hague give an interview to Danish TV in Danish and do better!

Thanks for that. With these sub title progammes if you leave the room to get a bottle of wine or a snack , you miss things. though I suppose his interview would be in English and not sub titled.

I'm sure William Hague is very fluent in Danish :D
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly got deeper into the political and personal lives lastnight. Do find the pace at which ideas are conceived, sown and played through to often devious outcomes, a bit too unrealistic and no indication of time gaps longer than hours or single days, with so much done.

The Labour party, being the largest in seats, allowed the Moderates to lead the coalition, due to what went before, but are doing their utmost to remain in conflict internally and yet unable to unite to rest back real control. Infighting taken straight from the Blair/Brown times and the unseating and controversy reflecting the removal of Kennedy and race for leadership by odd characters of the LIbDems.

The suicide of the Foreign Minister would surely result in a public inquest and the sleeping tablets source could not be hidden. Maybe the coverup is to be a story line down the line and cause problems for Birgitte.

Still fascinating tv and beyond any drab nonsense elsewhere.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the significant moments were a bit poorly represented.
    Would a politician in a hotel where it was clear who was who really pick up someone for the night and leave the curtains open?

Not sure why Katrine & Hanne had a fit of morals. Did they not know what the paper was like before they joined? And what was wrong with the story? It's not as though any hacking was done or Hox was made to do anything illegal.
    Minister unfaithful and deceptive seems a reasonable headline.

I think Kasper is rather a more shrewd operator than to tell a driver who has shagged the PM "we are moving you, oh and thanks for being helpful". Then not wonder if the driver will go to the press as he is rather pissed off.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is answered in the comments of the Guardian blog linked to above. I can't recall the answer now but might go and have a look if I get a while.

Also, I'm sure that one of the Danes at the Guardian answered the 1982 query during the first series of this - I may go and ask them about it again.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    suesuesue wrote: »
    bring back Sanne :)

Seconded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Not sure why Katrine & Hanne had a fit of morals. Did they not know what the paper was like before they joined? And what was wrong with the story? It's not as though any hacking was done or Hox was made to do anything illegal.
    Minister unfaithful and deceptive seems a reasonable headline.

Katrine and Hanne both knew that Laugesen was a total louse and I think the fact that he had set up Hox was probably the final straw. If you remember last week Katrine had doubts about the spin Laugesen was trying to get her to put on the Afghanistan story
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Not sure why Katrine & Hanne had a fit of morals.

Well, a lot must have happened in the intervening 11 months (IIRC).

I really like them as a team. They both know (feel?) how easily Katrine could become another Hanne in time, and Hanne knows Katrine could do better. Hanne resigned knowing the 'dole queue' remark had substance.

As for Birgitte's "Joan Collins" moment ... "my drain is blocked" ... I'm reading too much between the lines. :o
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is answered in the comments of the Guardian blog linked to above. I can't recall the answer now but might go and have a look if I get a while.

Also, I'm sure that one of the Danes at the Guardian answered the 1982 query during the first series of this - I may go and ask them about it again.

Maybe it's related to what they can officially refer to as in release of official papers etc
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what a Dane on the Guardian blog said re. the 1982 query:

'Everything after 1982 is fictional, - names, events and so on, while everything referred to from before '82 is real events and names.

The production team decided that 25 years back would be ok (started 2007)'
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Katrine and Hanne both knew that Laugesen was a total louse and I think the fact that he had set up Hox was probably the final straw.
    Katrine knew that before she joined and what type of paper, so why join? She's portrayed as having a conflict with what she wants and what the paper wants but 60k a month must have swung it. I just don't find the 'moral dilemma' credible, if she doesn't like it now, nothing has changed from when she joined.
  • squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloe_26 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, very interesting. The danes have some good looking male news readers ;)

they do indeed! :)
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last nights overnights BBC4+HD:
    21:00 - 677.7k (2.85%) + 76.2k (0.32%) => 754k (3.17%)
    22:00 - 597.4k (2.83%) + 55.7k (0.26%) => 653k (3.09%)

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katrine knew that before she joined and what type of paper, so why join? She's portrayed as having a conflict with what she wants and what the paper wants but 60k a month must have swung it. I just don't find the 'moral dilemma' credible, if she doesn't like it now, nothing has changed from when she joined.

Perhaps she just needed the work
  • crisso69crisso69 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Episode 4 - brilliant!

Was there something significant about Kim the Driver's tie? Was it meant to have been bugged by Laugesen? It seemed slightly stiff when both Birgitte and Kasper were holding it (no double-meaning/pun intended...;))

I hope Katrine goes back to TV1 as, I feel Soren Malling is having a much smaller role in Series 2 as opposed to his lead editorial role in series 1. I think he's a great actor (He was brilliant in the Killing 1 as Jan Meyer).

Remember our Labour Party lost two leaders relatively quickly - Neil Kinnock sacked then John Smith died prematurely, before contesting a General Election.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm annoyed at myself for not watching the 1st series properly because I'm really hooked on this one! I didn't think I could watch a politics show where there wasn't also a main crime investigation for murder running aongside it, but now I find I can!