BBC The Proms 2013

Comments

• nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordanDS wrote: »
    Phew, no-one clapped between movements!

They all coughed instead. :p

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed that tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very lightweight start tonight. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the series. Some of the programmes are quite shocking in their simpleness. x.

Couldn't agree more. Underwhelmed by tonight's program, particularly the 'heard it all before' opening piece. I guess I'm not such a fan of British music.

At least we have Rachmaninov 2nd Piano next Friday and Rite of Spring on Sunday.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    How do you feel about the two upcoming Dr Who Proms ??

For myself , I hate the idea and won't be watching them .
    Didn't know it was happening. There's enough music in Doctor Who to fill TWO Proms? One would think just doing the theme song as a joke would be enough. Something fun for the Last Night. Personally I prefer the Proms to focus on songs and music revolving around Britain's imperial greatness.

Two? There's only one, as far as I know.

The upcoming Doctor Who Prom will be the third one since the show's return in 2005.

Doctor who at the Proms is absolute magic. The music, by the brilliant Murray Gold, is just wonderful. Check out "Amy's theme" or "Clara's theme" on youtube if you've never heard it.

More than that, though, the Daleks, Cybermen and others put in an appearance as well as the Doctor himself. and the look of wonderment on the faces of the children in the audience is such a joy.

It's just sheer good fun. I'm looking forward to it immensely. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faure's Requiem is my most played cd.
    :)

You've got me wanting to play mine now.

I was deliberating on whether to watch 'Shine' but I think I'll save that for another day, and go and play some Fauré instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 2nd Dr Who is a repeat because the first sold out.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was the most magnificent performance of 'A Sea Symphony' I've ever heard. Absolutely rivetting. IMO the baritone got it bang on but the female singer overcooked it a bit. Other than that, an absolute treat.

Looking forward to the Mahler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    That was the most magnificent performance of 'A Sea Symphony' I've ever heard. Absolutely rivetting. IMO the baritone got it bang on but the female singer overcooked it a bit. Other than that, an absolute treat.

I agree. I thought it was wonderful.

I'm very much looking forward to Mahler too.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »

^^^ This. Definitely a Roderick Williams and Sakari Oramo fan after tonight. :)

The sound balance for the choir seemed a bit odd in places, but once I'd turned the volume up to full, I got the finale knocking my socks off good and proper. :cool:
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    BRAVO! Bravo!

Such a crowd there for the opening night.

I'd love to go to the Royal Albert Hall.

Has anyone been? :)

I was there last night. Got a bit hot but some ice-cream helped.

Roderick Williams used to be my music teacher. First time I'd heard him sing professionally since he left the school back in '91. Unfortunately the orchestra drowned him out at points, one of the disadvantages of being there live.
    There must be well over 400 0f them! :eek:

Imagine what it sounds like inside the venue. :cool:

450 apparently. Coming out there was a sea of coaches.
    JordanDS wrote: »
    Phew, no-one clapped between movements!

I was very impressed. The pianist has unbelievable skills.

Really enjoyed it.

Going to three more.

Prom 28: Includes Blue Danube and Beethoven's 5th
    Nigel Kennedy doing the Four Seasons (late night)
    Hollywood Rhapsody Prom - John Wilson and his orchestra are really good
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pianist was superb.

Very much looking forward to the complete Ring :). And curious to see what John Wilson does this year. The MGM concert he did with Seth McFarlane few years ago is still a highlight.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Na I tried Benjamin , fast forwarded through bits of it but it did nothing for me at all.

Loving the Paganini piece now ..... Incidentally , if the pianist can play this piece from memory why can't the orchestra ??

Soloists generally have a smaller oeuvre than you average orchestral player who is require to play anything asked of them and they are playing in an ensemble.
    A soloist such as Hough for example it typical of others and commits his works to memory. They do at times, however, have music in front of them.
    Forum Member
    What a contrast to have some class TV for a change. Such a contrast to the rubbish generally put in front of us day after day i.e. mush for the masses or lowest common denominator.
  • fogfog Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved the rach rhapsody on a theme by paganini as ever.
    i have the stephen hough cd of him playing this and all 4 concertos with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra....well worth picking up a copy.

anyone else sad that now the BBC HD channel is no more apart from the first and last night proms all the other televised proms are only in standard def BBC Four?:(
    Forum Member
    fog wrote: »
    i have the stephen hough cd of him playing this and all 4 concertos with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra....well worth picking up a copy.

anyone else sad that now the BBC HD channel is no more apart from the first and last night proms all the other televised proms are only in standard def BBC Four?:(

It is always the content of a TV programme that is more important than the quality of its picture. That is, the content transcends any gimmickry especially where good music is involved. I'd enjoy it even if it were transmitted in B&W.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    fog wrote: »

If you like Hough's playing (and who doesn't?) then try his CD of two Hummel concertos:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000000AFD

I've got 100s of classical CDs but this is in the top five! The musical content is absolutely wonderful and Hough's pianism is an utter delight. I can't recommend it highly enough!

• fogfog Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    It is always the content of a TV programme that is more important than the quality of its picture. That is, the content transcends any gimmickry especially where good music is involved. I'd enjoy it even if it were transmitted in B&W.

ah you've missunderstood me and jumped staight to replying with a smug comment (of which i actually agree :) ) maybe i should have been clearer. i don't want it on an hd channel so much for the picture improvements but for the sound quality. the proms in hd last year meant dolby digital 5.1 to my av amp allowing me to hear the beautiful music in all it's splendor. SD sound is flat in comparison. Mind you this is something you'd only be aware of if you have a decent av/hifi system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight BBC4 7.30pm

David Matthews
    A Vision of the Sea (c20 mins)
    BBC Commission, World Premiere

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto #2

Nielsen Symphony no. 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2013/july-16/14560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight BBC4 7.30pm

David Matthews
    A Vision of the Sea (c20 mins)
    BBC Commission, World Premiere

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto #2

Nielsen Symphony no. 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2013/july-16/14560

I thought this was wonderful tonight.

What an inspiration the piano soloist Nobuyuki Tsujii is! I was mesmerised just watching him. I also love Rachmaninov's Concerto No.2 - beautiful.

I also enjoyed Neilsen's symphony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I'm absolutely gutted that Barenboim's Wagner cycle won't be on television.

I lived and breathed every moment of the Beethoven he did last year.

He's just incredible and I'm gutted he's relegated to radio.

I think the program seems slimmer than in previous years
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm absolutely gutted that Barenboim's Wagner cycle won't be on television.

I lived and breathed every moment of the Beethoven he did last year.

He's just incredible and I'm gutted he's relegated to radio.

I think the program seems slimmer than in previous years

I agree with you - I was hoping/expecting Wagner to be televised like Beethoven was last summer; I'm disappointed that's not been the case. Not that radio coverage doesn't have it's merits - it just doesn't compare to television coverage for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Dxfatass wrote: »
    I agree with you - I was hoping/expecting Wagner to be televised like Beethoven was last summer; I'm disappointed that's not been the case. Not that radio coverage doesn't have it's merits - it just doesn't compare to television coverage for me.

Absolutely. I appreciate they can't show the whole season, and radio works really well for some Proms. But Wagner is so dramatic, and Barenboim is just so amazing that he needs to be seen!

Can you tell I love him :o
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also subtitles over the action would have helped...

I'm streaming Das Rheingold now - too humid to go to bed yet...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another excellent 'Proms on Four' programme tonight.

Well done to eighteen-year-old Jan Lisiecki on his debut: He played Schumann's 'Piano Concerto' wonderfully, I thought.

Also loved having more of Rachmaninov with his 'Second Symphony' tonight.

Sorry to those above who are disappointed at the lack of televised Wagner this series. Is he not to be televised at all this year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    I was there last night. Got a bit hot but some ice-cream helped.

Roderick Williams used to be my music teacher. First time I'd heard him sing professionally since he left the school back in '91. Unfortunately the orchestra drowned him out at points, one of the disadvantages of being there live.

450 apparently. Coming out there was a sea of coaches.

I was very impressed. The pianist has unbelievable skills.

Really enjoyed it.

Going to three more.

Prom 28: Includes Blue Danube and Beethoven's 5th
    Nigel Kennedy doing the Four Seasons (late night)
    Hollywood Rhapsody Prom - John Wilson and his orchestra are really good

BIB: :cool: :)

Sorry I missed your post last time.

I'm glad you had a good time that night and hope you enjoy the rest of them too.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Another excellent 'Proms on Four' programme tonight.

Well done to eighteen-year-old Jan Lisiecki on his debut: He played Schumann's 'Piano Concerto' wonderfully, I thought.

Also loved having more of Rachmaninov with his 'Second Symphony' tonight.

Sorry to those above who are disappointed at the lack of televised Wagner this series. Is he not to be televised at all this year?

I thought they were televising the concert performance of 'Tristan und Isolde' (at least I hope they are).

Edit: Yes :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2013/july-27/14598

After 'Parsifal' it's probably my favourite Wagner opera (but what a pity there are so few half-decent Wagnerian singers around these days).

Televised on 01 September :)