Official Snooker Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume the format you've aforementioned from previous years doesn't necessarily apply to his section of the draw?

No. Quarter final 4 is Tue aft / Wed aft / Wed eve and has been for the last few years. Turns out for the last 3 Ronnie's been in the bottom half of the draw and so happened to be in that section! He was beaten by Mark Selby in 2010 and John Higgins in 2011 at the same stage.

When Ronnie beat Liang Wenbo in the 2008 quarter final, he was quarter final 2 and hence played Tue aft / Wed morning / Wed evening.
  • MeoquiMeoqui Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Stephen Hendry gone I will back Jamie Jones for the title. Been willing him to fight back since the session started this AM and the mans done good.
    I'm rarely right these days on the title bet - but ya never know!
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zawtowers wrote: »
    No. Quarter final 4 is Tue aft / Wed aft / Wed eve and has been for the last few years. Turns out for the last 3 Ronnie's been in the bottom half of the draw and so happened to be in that section! He was beaten by Mark Selby in 2010 and John Higgins in 2011 at the same stage.

When Ronnie beat Liang Wenbo in the 2008 quarter final, he was quarter final 2 and hence played Tue aft / Wed morning / Wed evening.
    Acknowledged. Cheers Zaw! :)
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Barry Hearn says Stephen Hendry was wrong to retire from the sport. Hearn tells BBC Radio 5 live Breakfast it was a bombshell and calls him the "finest player to ever pick up a cue".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17923450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    Barry Hearn says Stephen Hendry was wrong to retire from the sport. Hearn tells BBC Radio 5 live Breakfast it was a bombshell and calls him the "finest player to ever pick up a cue".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17923450

The way Hearn's structured snooker these days with numerous minor PTC's and so many Far East ranking events it's helped influence Hendry's decision actually.

Not saying the current re-vamp is wrong, but it's geared more towards up and coming players than former greats.
  • TungstenTungsten Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like this tweet from the BBC snooker team:

'Matthew Stevens beat Ryan Day 13-5 and won the match' :rolleyes:

Maybe Willie wrote it.
  • MeoquiMeoqui Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've cursed Jamie Jones! I'm like one of those commentators that as soon as they say something the opposite happens....sigh

And that tweet above is a classic!!
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    OK why did BBC HD just switch to question of sport?
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hendry quits snooker this is a sad day for the sport, i hope he changes his mind :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very tense end to the session culminates with Carter going in-off the brown. Jones keeps himself in it at 7-9, which I think he deserved.

Or as the Beeb would tweet, 'Carter 9-7 Jones and leads the match'
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took the afternoon off and am in Sheff queuing for pm tickets - don't think I'll get one. I have row N for tonight though. I'll give it ten more minutes then I'm getting a picnic and parking myself in front of the big screen.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I took the afternoon off and am in Sheff queuing for pm tickets - don't think I'll get one. I have row N for tonight though. I'll give it ten more minutes then I'm getting a picnic and parking myself in front of the big screen.

Good Luck Elanor! ;)
  • merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor - if you haven't got your picnic there is a great cafe to buy a salad or a sandwich (I got mine from there) if you head towards the mercure next to the botanical gardens and go right, it's about 5 seconds down there.

It must be good because I saw Day buying his sandwich when I got my salad. Is quite reasonable too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Hendry send off ahoy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How lovely with what the BBC are doing for Hendry. Love it. Am so glad he is getting the sending off he deserves.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in the first round half the seeds went out but if Ali Carter wins his match, which i think he should do now, then all 4 semi finalists will actually be seeded players.
    Forum Member
    Um. I met him. I am not of a Stephen Hendry persuasion, but Creepy Odd Guy who was talking to me at the stage door grabbed my camera and made Stephen pose with me:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/2446511649/
    He was not impressed.

That's a priceless photo! :)

Hendry's just been introduced into the arena to a standing ovation shaking hands with Doherty, Parrott, Griffiths, Taylor and Davis.
    He was wearing his 'dad' jersey! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a priceless photo! :)

Hendry's just been introduced into the arena to a standing ovation shaking hands with Doherty, Parrott, Griffiths, Taylor and Davis.
    He was wearing his 'dad' jersey! :)
    Maybe he's going to be the next Question Of Sport captain :p
    Forum Member
    Maybe he's going to be the next Question Of Sport captain :p

:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sod the £200 for charity eh? :p
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two excellent frames by the rocket to make it 5-5. I know they are level but the way Ronnie is playing this is looking ominous for Robertson. I think he will do well to get out of the session at 8-8.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took the afternoon off and am in Sheff queuing for pm tickets - don't think I'll get one. I have row N for tonight though.

Nice one, enjoy tonight! KInd of wish I was going myself again but no luck.

That said, there are tickets available for the final... tempting!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zawtowers wrote: »
    Nice one, enjoy tonight! KInd of wish I was going myself again but no luck.

That said, there are tickets available for the final... tempting!!

Is there? How much are they, oh my it is so tempting!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there? How much are they, oh my it is so tempting!

Yes, they're £50 plus £5 booking fee for each session. Sunday afternoon and evening available as I'm typing this.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    John VIrgo just said

"No better break-builder in the game than Ronnie O'Sullivan."

Hmm.. Stephen Hendry comes to mind!
This discussion has been closed.